Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

I'm an Advisor
FormerMember

Preliminary reports seem to be coming out as far as the new Cisco DPC3825 Gateway from Rogers. From what I have read, the modem works fine but the router may even be worse than the SMC! Can someone from Rogers confirm this? 

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who is using this new gateway? How does it compare with the SMC? Is it as bad as what I am reading so far on-line? 

Finally, if the new CISCO is no better than the SMC, will Rogers finally consider approving a stand alone DOCSIS3 modem?

Please use plain text.

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Resident Expert
Pauly
its too new to tell, but from what i read in the manual for this device, it is highly customizable. its definitely a start. too bad some people actually PAID for the **bleep** SMC boxes. i would throw the smc in the garbage. this Cisco is definitely a step in the right direction
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I'm an Advisor
FormerMember

Again, from what I have read, the router on the new CISCO gateway is as much a piece of junk as the router on the SMC. I would not call this a step in the right direction. What customers would really like is a stand alone DOCSIS3 modem and the fact that Rogers has added another gateway is definitely not a step in the right direction.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
DEANGB

Hi

Just upgraded to express, primarily for extra GB, so I get the new CISCO DPC3825 but I can't get it working with my D-Link DIR 655. Just got the D-Link and would be annoyed if it was now deemed obsolete. Anyone know how I can configure it to work with the new modem? 

Please use plain text.

I'm an Advisor
FormerMember

Would be interested to know if you have tried the DPC3825 router and how it worked. As for using your D-Link, I would assume the unit must be put into bridge mode. You might want to have a look at DSL Reports for configuring it to work with your own router. One reader has posted screen shots with instructions but others posters seem to be having problems doing this. Perhaps your best bet would be to call Rogers and see what they say.

Please use plain text.

I'm an Advisor
FormerMember

Some posters are now suggesting that Rogers has removed the option to put the new Cisco DPC3825 into bridge mode. If that is the case, they are providing a modem/router combo where the wireless router may not work properly and the option to use your own router has been removed. If in fact they have done this, then Rogers should be ashamed of themselves!

Please use plain text.

I'm a Trusted Contributor
skinorth

@IHR:

even if the bridge mode capabilities are removed, you can still add your own router in addition.  There are several ways to do this, depending on what functionality you would like.

I have done this successfully with a Rogers RocketHub by using a Linksys WRT54G running Tomato firmware to measure data volume usage on my network.  Other firmwares, including the vendors' stock firmware would work just as well.

skinorth

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
DEANGB

Thanks for your help guys, just been onto Rogers live support and they say they are not trained to troubleshoot D-Link routers! and I should contact them. Apparently it should work with the D-Link. I could use the Cisco for my router but having just bought the D-Link it sucks! Guess I will get onto D-Link...

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
kb1

I'm wondering if you found a solution for using your dlink router with the Cisco dpc3825.  We removed the dlink completely from ou network and in using only the Cisco, we seem to lose connections constantly on all our devices on the network, wireless or not. Cheers.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
sa7375

No matter what the community (and users) think or say about SMC or Cisco gateways, this has come to be the writ of our destiny. It's unfortunate that Rogers would not give us a well reputed and a well made DOCSIS3 modem only (without a built-in router).

Considering a choice between the SMC and Cisco gateways will be akin to a choosing a preference between jumping from the 36th floor rather than the 40th :smileyvery-happy:

I guess the only option now is to disable the "wireless routing" on SMC/Cisco gateway and use it primarily as a modem: then feed your own N router for wireless and Ethernet networking. 

Please use plain text.
Welcome

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades

Pour notre communauté en français cliquez-ici!

Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count

socialicon Facebook Helps Compliment Concern

© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications