Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Re: Wireless Modem Router Problem: Prep and specifications

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
skinorth

@GraphicZero:

well, that's great news!  At least we know that your connection works, and that regardless of the opinion we may have of the capabilities of the SMC D3GN modem/router, your unit is currently functioning, we presume, as intended by both SMC and Rogers.

In order to set up your network to include both the SMC and the Dlink DIR-655, you would be well-advised to download the documentation for both these devices.  In case you don't have them, here are the URL's to obtain the documentation:

http://www.smc.com/files/AJ/SMCD3GN-UserManual_Rogers.pdf

for the SMC D3GN, and:

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?tab=3&pid=DIR-655&rev=DIR-655

for the User Manual for the DIR-655.

Sometimes support personnel are heard to mutter under their breath: RTFM!!!!

Now that you have the documentation we can justifiably do that to you.:smileywink:

This posting will get really long, really soon, so I am going to fragment it into sections.  This is the preparation and specification section.

The challenge we will have here is trying to make both the SMC modem/router, and the Dlink router work cooperatively together.  The SMC does have some redeeming features.  Besides, it is working now, and perhaps we should take advantage of that fact.  In addition, if we don't mess with it, Rogers may help support your connection.:smileyvery-happy:

What I am proposing to do is the following:

1. Keep the SMC device in place but disable its wireless and dhcp functions.  These will be taken over by the Dlink DIR-655.

2. Set up the Dlink DIR655 with its own fixed IP address, let's say 192.168.0.10 on its WAN/Internet port.

3. Set up the Dlink DIR655 on its own IP subnet, let's say 192.168.10.1 - 192.168.10.255

4. Enable and configure both wireless and dhcp on the Dlink DIR-655.

Have your eyes glazed over yet? :smileysurprised:

Oh yes, you should copy down somewhere the IP address details currently used by the SMC device for its DNS.

Till the next posting on this subject.

skinorth

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Re: Wireless Modem Router Problem: Configuring the Dlink DIR-655

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
skinorth

@GraphicZero:

this step involves configuring the Dlink DIR-655 router.  Many of these devices use "Wizards" for many of the setup functions.  Because we are doing non-standard stuff, we will not use any of those.

Power up the Dlink DIR-655 router.  Connect your PC to the DIR-655 using an ethernet cable to one of ethernet ports 1 to 4.  Disable the wireless interface on your PC, and enable the ethernet interface, with dhcp to get its IP address from the DIR-655.  You may want to perform a Reset using the button on the router to put the Dlink at its factory defaults.

You should now be able to connect to the DIR-655 router's web management interface at is IP address of 192.168.0.1.  You will NOT be able to connect to the Internet at this point.

Go to the "WAN" section of the manual setup procedure.  You need to specify that the DIR-655 router will use the static IP address 192.168.0.10 on its Internet/WAN port.  This is the grey ethernet connection on the rear of the device.

See Section 3, page 19.  Here, use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask, and 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway.  For DNS addresses use the info previously copied down from the SMC device.  You may have other preferences for DNS, and you could use those if you want.

Next set up the Wireless parameters for the Dlink DIR-655.  You should already have the info for this from your previous setup of the SMC device.

Finally, configure the router's IP address space, the directions for which are in Section 3, page 21.  In this case, you need to enter 192.168.10.1 as the address, and 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask.  Choose a router name of your choice.

Once you save the above IP address, your PC will lose its connection to the DIR-655.  You will need to either reboot your PC, or just disable and then enable your ethernet interface, depending on which OS you are using.

In the next posting we will talk about how to connect the ethernet cables between the SMC and the Dlink

skinorth

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

Re: Wireless Modem Router Problem: Connecting the Dlink router to the SMC device

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
skinorth

@GraphicZero:

at this point, you can connect the Dlink DIR-655 router to the SMC router.  Using an ethernet cable connect any of the SMC ethernet ports 1 to 4 to the WAN/Internet port, the grey one, on the rear of the DIR-655 router.

You should now be able to connect to the Internet from your PC, which at this point is still connected by ethernet cable to the Dlink router.

You should next be able to connect to the Dlink router using wireless.  To do this, disable the PC's ethernet cable.  Enable wireless on the PC.  You should "see" the Dlink wireless showing up on your PC when connecting to a wireless network.

I hope I haven't lost you at this point, and that things are working for you.

Good Luck.

skinorth

Please use plain text.

Re: Wireless Modem Router Problem: Conclusions.................please comment

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
skinorth

@GraphicZero:

the above postings seem complicated.  For you and any others who wish to, please comment on them, and critique them.  The setup process I have detailed above can be used in other situations as well,

Perhaps I should create a more generic document that is usable in other situations as well.  For example, I have first developed the above process for my own situation where I used a Linksys WRT54G router running free third-party firmware called Tomato to track data volume usage through my Rogers RocketHub.

I would appreciate comments from all.  Have at it.

skinorth

Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
GraphicZero

I became lost at Go to the "WAN" section of the manual setup procedure. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
GraphicZero

I got so confused with all your content you provided that I tried again the "briding" SMC modem/router and it works now. :smileytongue: Sorry but thanks for the help and effort!

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
skinorth

@GraphicZero:

I apologize for confusing you.  I am glad to hear that you did manage to resolve things, however.

Good luck, and good surfing.

skinorth

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
Vegaz77

Just wanted to say I used the information here to set up my DIR-655 with the SMC router and all went 100% smoothly.  I did things a little differently because I already had wireless connectivity to my DIR-655 and my PC and router are on different floors, but the principles and settings recommended all worked perfectly.

The one thing I had to do differently was that I had to configure the "Network Settings" before I could confiure the "Internet/WAN settings", because the recommended WAN settings conflicted with my existing Network Settings, and the router complained about that.

So, thanks skinorth :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
skinorth

@Vegaz77:

glad to hear you found the information useful.  Thanks for adding the comment on your experiences with the process.  Hopefully others will benefit in the future from both our efforts.

Your posting is especially valued.  I did my postings from memory, as I had done something similar not too long ago.  But, you actually verified that my recollections were accurate and validated the whole thing.

As well, my implementation was done with a Linksys router.  You did it with a Dlink router.  So, it looks like the process is generic enough as documented for different router types.

There is nothing like an actual in-the-field test of what was first cooked up at a desk or a keyboard.

Thanks again.

skinorth

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Spotlight: Connnecting my Wireless Printer to the Hitron CGN3

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications