Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

I've Been Around
SuperJJ

Currently I am renting a Motorola SURFboard (SB5120) Modem from Rogers, Can I buy a same model or (SB5100 or SB5101 ) from outside and replace the rental> Do I need to get it activate from Rogers?

Please use plain text.

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile
skutflut

May I ask why you would want to buy  a DOCSIS 2 modem when you already have one?  I think you should consider waiting a while to see if Rogers comes up with a stand alone  DOCSIS 3 modem which you could purchase, rather than spending good money on what amounts to an almost obsolete DOCSIS 2.  

A 5100 series modem will not work with the high speed tiers Rogers now offers (above 15mbit).   Although the 5100 series is capable of fairly high speeds,  the network setup at Rogers for 15mbit and above speeds depends on bonding multiple channels under the DOCSIS 3 standard to achieve those speeds.  The higher speeds are not offered with the DOCSIS 2 models since they do not support this multichannel bonding scheme.

As far as getting a reliable answer to your specific question,  I would suggest that you contact Rogers for a reply.  Ask for a supervisor.  Remember to get the name and employee ID number of the person you talk to, and keep a record of what they told you..    Depending on who you speak to at Rogers,  you will probably get different answers about using third party modems on the Rogers system,  motorola, or even brands or models that Rogers offers for sale. Rogers used to sell the Motorola modem years ago,  but they do not supply them anymore.  

Several members of this forum have been misled by Rogers CSRs on this subject.  They have been told they can install standalone docsis 3 modems,  then after purchasing one they are  told they cannot install them on the Rogers network.  

Do your homework before putting down your cash!!!

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I've Been Around
ChuckGG

Hi -

I do not see any point in paying rental on a cable modem when I can buy one dirt cheap.  I am curious if you have any insight on this.  If Rogers charges nothing (as they should) for a vanilla modem, I'll have that switched out.  If they charge for modems as they do for modem/routers, then buying a cable modem makes sense, assuming I can get a Rogers-compatible unit at a reasonable cost. 

Appreciate any comments!

Thanks,

Chuck

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Patr1

From Rogers:
The modems that are compatible with Rogers High Speed Extreme include:

# Motorola model numbers SB5100, SB5101 and SB5120
# Toshiba model numbers PCX2600 and PCX2500
# Scientific Atlanta model numbers DPX2100 and DPC2100
# RCA model numbers DCM 325 and DCM 425
# Linksys model number BEFCMU10

Any plan that requires a DOC3 modem will have to be acquired through Rogers at the moment.  If you are considering a lower tier then the above router would work.  Before taking my offered list to the store please have that confirmed with Rogers along with the registration procedure to have it activated.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Former Moderator
RogersHemal

@SuperJJ You can purchase a Motorolla SB5100, SB5101 or SB5120 to work with our services (Express or lower). If you do plan to upgrade your services to Extreme or higher you will be require to have a Docsis 3.0 modem. We offer one model at this time which is made by SMC. Model # SMCD3GN.

Click on the thumbs up image to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for -- it'll help our community grow stronger!
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
ash37

What about SB6120. Is it supported?

Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
Hooter

I made inquiries to Rogers about the Motorola 6120 and was told that it was not supported. Unfortunately, if you want a Docsis 3 modem, you must get one from Rogers and the bottom line is that while the modem part works fine, the wireless router is a piece of **bleep**. So to have wireless working properly, you need to have Rogers remotely set the modem to bridge mode and install your own router. Why they will not support the 6120 is simply beyond comprehension!

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
ash37

That's exactly what I'm doing now. I switch wi-fi router part off and connnected ASUS N16. Now Rogers started to increes modem renting price and offers to buy out device. In this case I' prefer to buy one that supports DOCIS3.0 fo r$80 than to pay for old and bad one almost 200 bucks.

Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
Hooter

That is another part that is just not fair to the consumer. They increase the rental fee for the Docsis 3 modem/router, but the router part does not work properly. So you still have to shell out for a router that will work in addition to paying the higher rental fee!

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
edlui420
Hi:

Does that mean I can purchase a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 from 3rd party to replace the current Rogers rental modem unit? If so, what are the registration procedures for the new unit?

Thanks.

Ed
Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Community Highlights: GENERAL NETWORKING Q & A

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications