Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

How do I put the CGN3ROG router into bridge mode?

I've Been Here Awhile
Soneill

I recently got the CGN3ROG, what a piece of crap. I am constantly dropping signal, losing connection and the 5ghz channel only works half the time. I have my own router that I want to use but I can figure out how to put this one in bridge mode. Do I have to call support?

What is the best router rogers offers to bridge with?

Please use plain text.

Re: How do I put the CGN3ROG router into bridge mode?

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
Generally, on a 3rd party dual band, I have found the 5.8 spectrum goes a lot less distance/permeation.

All in all if you are going to bridge, best to drop down to a more basic gateway and spend less per month, all of them tend to bridge pretty well
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I'm Here A Lot
Nauger

Hi,

Just really quickly...does anyone know how to place the Hitron CGN3 gateway in bridge mode? I used to have the SMC gateway and was able to bridge that one with my DLink router, but I can't seem to find where the bridging option is in this gateway's interface. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
Gdkitty

I cant remember myself.. as i dont have that one, going off what others have said :smileysad:

Its not an easy one to find.  Worse case, you can call in and have them do it for you.

Which internet plan are you on though?  Many have found on the HIGHER tiers, that you actually get SLOWER connection bridged than when on the unit itself.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
Nauger

Currently we are using the Extreme Plus bundle. The main reason why I wanted to bridge was because of issues experienced on the PS4...apparently bridging the gateway can be a fix for certain problems. Anyways, thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
Nauger
I seem to have found a "Residential Gateway Function - Enable/Disable" on the 192.168... page. Could that be the bridge mode option I am looking for?
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Yes, that should be it.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I've Been Around
la_monsalud

How do you turn a CGN3 in bridge mode?

My main issue - used to have Express 20/2. Upgraded to 150/15. When I do speedtest on my wired PC to the CGN3 I get 150-170/15-17 speeds which is whats advertised.. when I try my phone connected via WIFI.. I'm lucky to get 50/16.

I upgraded my internet is cause when I'm playing online games and someone does anything even just look at pictures on the internet that needs to load - I lag. So I assumed I needed faster internet. But after trying it last night.. I'm still having the lag issues. My friend told me set it to bridge mode and buy the AC68U router. I haven't tried that yet but I don't know if I should even bother buying a router. Thanks

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
Gdkitty

The wireless on the CGN3, while OK (better than their other ones).. it still leaves some to be desired.

Getting a better router, and putting in bridged mode, would likely improve it greatly.

But even to begin with, there might be a few things to tweek on the built in, to get better speeds.  There can be things that are limiting it.

A) what device are you connecting to the CGN3? (this will make a diff on what type of card it has, etc)

B) How is the signal strength?

We can go from there, and change a few of the wireless settings, which can slow things down (but make it more legacy compatable)

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
nkay
So I just upgraded my Rogers bundle again, and I went from the Cisco modem to the CGN3 modem. The wireless still sucks on the new one, I'm so disappointed.

I disabled wireless, left Gateway and Upnp enabled, then attached my Apple Extreme base station to it. The Apple Extreme is set to bridge mode and the cable from the CGN3 is connected to the wan port on my Apple Extreme.
Everything works, but is this set up properly? I don't do any funky networking things here, just a straightforward wireless network, so I don't really want to run the CGN3 in bridge mode.
Please use plain text.
socialicon Facebook Helps Compliment Concern

Welcome

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades

Pour notre communauté en français cliquez-ici!

Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications