Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

The Rogers Community Forums has always played an important role in providing important feedback regarding our products and services. We are excited to offer our users an opportunity to participate in a trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACSMR, CGN3ACR and CGN3AMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). This program is exclusive to registered users of the Rogers Community Forums (space is limited).

The new firmware includes the following features and enhancements:

• IPv6 enabled by default
  • Security enhancements
  • Fix to preserve LAN connectivity in case of HFC outage or loss of signal
  • Addition of Wi-Fi Survey functionality
  • Improved stability of WPS function
  • Improved Wi-Fi performance
  • Various minor GUI changes and improvements

If you are interested in participating, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps with the subject line “Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial”.  A member of our team will be in contact with you and provide you with further instructions.

We’re keen to receive feedback on this new firmware. Once you've received the new firmware, please provide your feedback directly in the FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial thread. 

Questions regarding this program can be posted below.

***Please note - you must be a registered user of the Rogers Community Forums in order to participate.  To register, please follow these steps.***

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

625 REPLIES 625

Re: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

markopas
I plan to stick around

@borford wrote:

Have noted a couple of Codas with speed problems since the .24 firmware was pushed out. A factory reset immediately cured the problem but can't followup to see if it is a permanent fix.

Going from .19 where I was getting consistent 900-950 download speeds to be pushed out to the .24 which automatically bumped me down to 750 download speeds, I dont think that's a step in the right direction.

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

does anyone have any suggestions or solutions for pixel and pixel xl dropping wifi on coda modem on firmware.24

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Due to ongoing issues with my pixel and pixel xl dropping wifi, perhaps purchasing a router and putting coda in bridge mode might be the answer. Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. 

I have been looking at the D Link AC 1900 Dual Band Gigabit DIR-880L. Any have any experience or knowledge on this router? Will it work with Coda? All and any info will help befor I make the purchase of a new router.

Thanks

@Hucklebury, the 880L has the same processor as my Asus RT-AC68U, which for gigabit service is now slightly old.  Anyone with gigabit service, and looking to buy a router should be looking at a a 1.4, preferably a 1.7 Ghz processor or faster in order to handle the throughput and the security services.  Realistically speaking, that requires something over 2 Ghz router with a stand-alone wifi access point.  It just depends on your budget and how much time you want to spend learning how to set up and run something like a PfSense, OpenSense, Sophos type of router.  For an all in one, I'd recommend looking at something like the Asus RT-AC1900P which has a 1.4 Ghz processor.  There are other Asus routers with the same or possibly faster processor which will provide Multi User MIMO (MU-MIMO) wifi where the router broadcasts to 4 devices simultaneously for downstream services and receive the responses one at a time from those devices for upstream services.  That is the new generation of router that has hit the market recently, but, to take advantage of that, your devices also have to be built with the new generation of wifi card as well, so, I suspect that its going to be several years for that to happen.  Despite the number of manufactures around, all with their individual issues in terms of router updates and security, my recommendation at the present time is to look at Asus routers and restrict your search to 1.4, 1.7 Ghz and faster processors.  For some of those routers, you would also have the option of running Merlin's AsusWRT instead of the stock AsusWRT.

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32500-d-link-dir-880l-ac1900-wi-fi-router-...

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the info!

I have always only ever used what has been supplied by Rogers so adding a router is very new to me. 

thanks again!

@Hucklebury, one more  item I should have mentioned in addition to a 1.4 Gh or faster processor, external antenna.  Whatever you decide to buy, ensure that it has both of those.  External antenna are one factor which allows a good router to provide better wifi coverage for your home. 

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Well I really wish Pixel XL and Coda would get along with each other and not forced to buy a router.

The one you suggested (Asus RT-AC1900P) I can get from EBAY. Its a manufacturer refurbished unit for $139.99 ??

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

I have ordered the new router. Would you be able to give me step by step instructions on how to put Coda in bridge mode?

Thanks in advance!

@Hucklebury that's pretty easy.  Log into the modem using 192.168.0.1 when you are still connected directly to the modem.  Navigate to BASIC .... RESIDENTIAL GATEWAY tab and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting.  The modem will automatically reboot into Bridge mode.  During that reboot or following it, connect the router and then power it up.  The usual router address from what I remember is 192.168.1.1, which you will use to log into the router and set it up.  With the more recent router firmware version loaded, it has a similar approach that the modem has in forcing the user to set up names and passwords on the first login.  

So, the first thing you will want to do is run the router firmware update which can be run from the ADMIN .... FIRMWARE UPGRADE page.  I'm assuming that you ordered the Asus RT-AC1900P, but its also the same procedure for other Asus routers.  Update the firmware and then reboot the modem.  If you're ever stuck and having problems with the modem in terms of accessing it, you can start the modem from scratch by wiping the non-volatile ram.  To run the NVR clear, turn off the router.  As you look at the router from the rear, depress the top left button on the left side.  Thats the WPS button.  While depressing the WPS button, turn the router power on and keep depressing the WPS button for 30 seconds.  That will wipe the NV ram and restart the router so that you can set up the parameters again.  Fwiw I've never had an issue with my RT-AC68U and only use the NVR clear when I update the router and start it from scratch.  

To log into the modem thru the router, use 192.168.100.1 to navigate to the modems login page.  In Bridge mode you can access the modem to check the modem STATUS, signal levels, etc and kick the modem back into Gateway mode if desired.  To do that, log into the modem, navigate to the BASIC RESIDENTIAL tab and enable the Residential Gateway function.  Save the setting and the modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact.  If you run a factory reset on the modem when its in Bridge mode, it will also reboot back into Gateway mode, but, with factory default settings, so you would have to reset all of the parameters.  

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Thanks again,, great help!

so I would connect my pc cable to the router at which port? then connect the router to Coda at which port? sorry for all the questions but I am new to this type of setup. I assume there would be instructions withe the router. yes I did order the Asus RT-AC1900P

@Hucklebury this is how I connect the 4582 modem to my RT-AC68U:  

1.  Connect port 4 of the modem (bottom port) to the WAN port of the RT-AC1900P; and

2.  Connect the PC to any of the RT-AC1900P ports.  It won't matter which port you connect to.

If you use a printer that happens to be both wired and wireless capable, you can actually connect the printer via ethernet to one of the router ports and access the printer via ethernet or wifi for printing or scanning purposes.  I have a static IP address assigned to the printer so that if I ever reboot the router for any reason, it will always have the same LAN IP address.    

To access the modem at the very start to kick it into Bridge mode, you can log into it via wifi or via ethernet using any of the ports.  The login address at that point is the same either way, 192.168.0.1

Never worry about asking questions, that's what the RE's and other forum members are here for, to help each other out when questions arise 🙂 

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Thanks,

So I will be putting coda in bridge mode first then connect, update and program router via PC.

disreguard, I went over your instructions again,,, I think I got this

Great help my friend!!!

LkMMoDC
I've been around

Hey there. I'm interested in trying the beta. My speeds are pretty consistant but my connection to online servers tends to have horrible rubber banding. Youtube videos are constantly requiring me to refresh the page to get the next couple of minutes to load and in online games my ping is fine but I rubber band all over the place.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@LkMMoDC You can join the beta by sendind a PM to @CommunityHelps With the Subject: Firmware Trial

include your account number, modem MAC address, and Modem Serial number, you can find the last two when you login to the modem.

hyttrrr
I've been here awhile
Any idea when we can start accessing the USB on the 4582 as it's currently locked out and many would like this for expansion media drives

EhmTeeEhf
I'm a reliable contributor

I don't know but i too would like to know 🙂 maybe one of our mods could help ?

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

hello there

I have my new asus ac 1900 P now up and running. Should I set the IPV6 to native? I also have noticed a couple times,,, first thing in the morning the internet service would be a snails pace and have to reboot Coda and Asus to get the speeds back. It was so slow at one point the speed test site timed out?????

Double_K

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

I posted here because I am on the firmware trial. With the problems I have been having with Coda and my Pixel XL It was suggested to me to get a Router. Thanks though.

Double_K

Yes, the multitude of threads can be confusing.

This thread was to announce the firmware trial, and provide instructions to sign up.

Then, a separate thread was setup to capture feedback & issues on the firmware (as well as track the changes in each version); http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

Then, because the CODA was dominating that feedback thread, and posts about CGN modems were getting lost in the conversation, a separate thread was created just for the CODA; http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3928...

Thus, to get the proper focus on your issue with the CODA, that's the link I posted in my previous post.

@Hucklebury wrote:

hello there

I have my new asus ac 1900 P now up and running. Should I set the IPV6 to native? I also have noticed a couple times,,, first thing in the morning the internet service would be a snails pace and have to reboot Coda and Asus to get the speeds back. It was so slow at one point the speed test site timed out?????

@Hucklebury here are the settings for Asus Routers: 

Rogers IPv6 Settings for ASUS routers

In the Advanced Setup / IPv6 menu:

• Internet Connection Type: Native
  • DHCP-PD: Enable
  • Auto Configuration Settings: Stateless
  • Connect to DNS Server automatically: Enable
  • Enable Router Advertisement: Enable

As for your degrading speed issues: are you on a CODA Gateway with Black DOT? did you factory reset the CODA then put it into bridge mode? and is the ASUS running the latest firmware? 

Did these issues start after adding the Asus Router, or have you had these issues before?