Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

I'm Here A Lot

I have been on gigabit for a bit now and and have been getting close to advertised downlaod and upload speeds but 2 days ago I was switched onto the Casa CMTS system when I was previously on a Cisco one. My download speeds have unchanged but my upload went from 50 Mbps to 30 Mbps and now after my modem(CGN3552) updated to 4.5.8.21 in the past 20 minutes my upload speed went down again to 15 Mbps. I don't understand why this would be the case but I am probably going to get a hold of tech support to figure out why my upload speed went down when it was fine before.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert

[ Edited ]

I wish Rogers stayed with Cisco, I too have noticed with CASA my upload speed isn't what it once was. Also with wireless I heard they have started to use Huawei instead of Ericsson. I use to be proud to say Rogers uses top quality vendors: Cisco, Ericsson, and Motorola, now we got CASA, Huawei, and Hitron Smiley Sad

The money they save on using cheaper hardware is offset by all the problems: troubleshooting, firmware, etc. issues. 

I Plan to Stick Around

What's this screen of?  Better yet where is it from?

Highlighted

I Plan to Stick Around

Are you talking about the bandwidth graph I posted?   It is a program that is included with my network card showing my download rate.

I Plan to Stick Around

what does this mean....

Their website states "An Ethernet/wired connection and at least one wireless connection are required to reach maximum download speeds of up to 1Gbps for Rogers Ignite Gigabit Internet"

What does this mean

Resident Expert

That does sound very odd.. A bad description..

Generally.. while the the the service may support the 1gbps, you need the correct END connections and other hardware to support it as well.

Wired connections, are usually your safest bet.  With having 1gbps wired card.  That being said, there are many laptops, etc now a days, which are still only provided with 10/100 cards in them.
Wireless.. its capable.. again if you have the right hardware.   You need an AC router (which the rogers one is, but there are much better ones), as well you need to have wireless AC in your device as well.  That would still then be in perfect scenario on wireless.. that there is no interfearance, distance, etc from the router.

Above with all that.. your also going to be limited by the SOURCE your connecting to.  Can they send stuff to you at 1gbps? (not very likely in my opinion)
You would be more likely to see that in say a combined scenario, where pulling from multi sources (like a torrent).
Or a combined.. where say multi users are using the service.. each can pull 300+ odd with no issues, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

I get 300-400 Mbps only, Cat5e cable, Direct or indrect to the modem. Tech support at Rogers claim I am ok !!!!

Resident Expert

One thing to check, would be that you are fully provisioned.

The full gigabit is not fully available everywhere.. some areas only provisioned for 500 right now.
Would make the 400 closer (though still not complete).

Where are you doing your speed test as well? (can vary the results).
(and to co incide with that, where are you located..that will make a difference on endpoint in some cases)

Are  you able to post the signal levels for your modem? 
Can take a look to see if that could be an issue

I Plan to Stick Around

So. Like a lot of others on this thread I recently upgraded my 250Mb service to the 1Gb service. Rogers did what they needed to do on their end I instructed me to pick up the new Ignite modem (CGMN-3552) to support the 1Gb speed.

Upon everthing being hooked up I ran speed tests by using the Rogers Speed Test site. I noticed my speeds (while directly connected to the modem) were between 140- 240Mbps. This was well below the speeds I was seeing when on the 250Mb service (upwards of 310Mbps).

After opening a ticket with Rogers they've had 3 field techs out to check everything. Of course they say all looks ok from their diagnostics..

Today, a field tech came out and after confirming all looked fine had me run another test. I was still seeing around 200Mbps. He then plugged in his Dell laptop and saw over 700Mbps. I checked again with my laptop and back down to 200Mbps. I happen to have a another laptop (Dell) and I'm able to see the 700+Mbps speed he did.

My non Dell laptop is a Lenovo T430s, i5 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 10. The Dell laptop is i7 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7. It would seem that the resources of the laptop/PC have a direct correlation on the internet speed. Not sure why this is, but clearly different hardware is giving me different results. Maybe, we require a minimum CPU spec of i7 for 1Gb service?

Resident Expert

Wouldnt say the processor as much would play a difference.

Other than per say, going from a Atom powered netbook to a full i3 or higher.

Bigest difference, i would say is the wireless card in the laptop? 
Or even the wired connection..
There are many laptops which are still released only with a 10/100 wired port on them.. let alone a gigabit.
Could be a very poor gigabit port.

Topic Stats