Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

user12343543
I plan to stick around

1. The ping and webui crashing issues ARE NOT fixed (I'm on the current beta firmware)

(ping times vary wildly, and when I swap to my other internet line *on the same CMTS* there are no ping issues)

2. The fact there are so many issues to me means the hirton modems are no good! I've never had ANY of these issues on my other cable modems! Why should we deal with this when rogers can enable 3rd party modems?

Because Rogers is a scam ! I have friends who are on Bell internet not fibe, with 5MB down and 800kbs up and let me tell you that there ping times are alot better then mine and I'm on 250/20 with Rogers, living in same building same floor,

Why should we have to pay for something that's not even up and running properly? Why should we be firmware beta testers and still be paying full price for Internet care to explain Rogers ? It's like buying a car with 3 wheels

user12343543
I plan to stick around

DSL and cable work differently. (DSL usually has lower pings) Rogers isn't too bad IMO just that these modems suck!

Bell isn't any better IMO as they have some non standard equipment that doesn't even work with normal VDSL modems. It's kind of sad neither can get their act together!

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

I'm sorry but the ranting will do nothing in helping Rogers fix the issues currently, we the others in this thread are trying to help Rogers by Beta testing new Firimware's as they come out and hopefully fix the many issues some are seeing, and is nothing new to me as I Beta Test many Microsoft and Security software to help improve user experience. 99.9% of Rogers users don't even know there are problems hence this small group of Beta Testers. 

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

@RogersDave I have my speed back after talking with Rogers support and had to do a complete reset then setup all settings once again.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@lethalsniper

I am on 250/20 , getting 330down/22 up and I live in New-Brunswick.

My friends on regular Aliant ( not fibe) living in the same street are pinging 25-30ms, while I ping 75-80 in the same servers playing with them.. and they are on 7mbs down/0,5 up , even tho speeds have nothing to do with latency I understand your pain.

But we have to stay positive.. I have faith in Dave and I am sure he's working hard to improve the situation.

Yea let's hope so , this has been going on for a long time. I remember when I use to have a Motorola standalone modem that worked pretty good. Think its time ROGERS to bring them back.

user12343543
I plan to stick around

@Triple_Helix wrote:

I'm sorry but the ranting will do nothing in helping Rogers fix the issues currently, we the others in this thread are trying to help Rogers by Beta testing new Firimware's as they come out and hopefully fix the many issues some are seeing, and is nothing new to me as I Beta Test many Microsoft and Security software to help improve user experience. 99.9% of Rogers users don't even know there are problems hence this small group of Beta Testers. 

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

@RogersDave I have my speed back after talking with Rogers support and had to do a complete reset then setup all settings once again.

I think more than 0.01% of rogers users have a chromecast or play online games 😛

They can tell something is broken, just unlikely to know it's the modem and blame it on something else (ergo we never hear them complain as they don't know who to contact)

I'm just hoping Staff will see my post and at least CONSIDER allowing 3rd paty modems?

gp-se
I'm an advisor

3rd party modems wont help, High Latency/Ping/Jitter has always been present in DOCSIS. DOCSIS 3.1 is supposed to improve Latency/Ping/Jitter, but it wont match FTTH or DSL. I hope Rogers launches DOCSIS 3.1 and FTTH soon. (and IPTV)!

RafJr
I've been around

The firmware version 4.5.8.22 was pushed to my modem CGN3ACSMR today and I'm happy to say that all my chromecast issues are solved. I am able to see my chromecast devices again on my PC, cellphone and tablet which I lost on the previous version 4.5.8.21. Thank you.

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@user12343543 wrote:

@Triple_Helix wrote:

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

I think more than 0.01% of rogers users have a chromecast or play online games 😛

They can tell something is broken, just unlikely to know it's the modem and blame it on something else (ergo we never hear them complain as they don't know who to contact)

I'm just hoping Staff will see my post and at least CONSIDER allowing 3rd paty modems?

True but I doubt it IMO.

@user12343543 wrote:

@Triple_Helix wrote:

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

What do third-party modems have to do with the chromecast issue?! 

I presume the chromecast issue is an issue with bugs in the gateway mode. You can already use your own third-party gateway - just enable bridge mode and off you go...

The only recent bug in the CGN3ACSMR that has affected bridge mode users is the crashing bug with the Casa CMTSes. And frankly, what would you do if there was a similar incompatibility in your third-party modem's firmware? The only way 'third party' modems make any practical sense is if they're quietly supported by Rogers, if Rogers CMTSes are able to push out any firmware updates, etc. 

That being said, I wonder why this .22 has not been broadly deployed by now... 

jundavid0908
I've been around

Thank you. 4.5.8.22 firmware really fix it. All chromecast showing on all of my devices.

user12343543
I plan to stick around

The 3rd party modems wouldn't be so terrible in bridge modem, and some offer a decent gateway mode too.

These hitrons have dozens of issues that shouldn't even exist. I can't even login to the webui half the time (never had this issue with another brand)

Anyways my point about the chromecast is that if these updates can break that functionality, what will the next updates brick? I think it's silly to play wack-a-mole when the issues don't exist on other equipment.

BTW Seems ping doesn't work on the webui at all from the diag menu. (Yet another bug) IMG.png

My in-laws who live in the same building as me and also with Rogers have a grandfather Rogers Internet package something like 20down and 1mb up with some little black stand alone modem , when I did some ping/ jitter test it was lower then mine , also brought up Xbox one to test lag/ latency what a difference game felt smoother, no delay, game just felt very responsive when playing. So the ones who say stand alone modems won't make a diff I disagree.

@lethalsniper wrote:
My in-laws who live in the same building as me and also with Rogers have a grandfather Rogers Internet package something like 20down and 1mb up with some little black stand alone modem , when I did some ping/ jitter test it was lower then mine , also brought up Xbox one to test lag/ latency what a difference game felt smoother, no delay, game just felt very responsive when playing. So the ones who say stand alone modems won't make a diff I disagree.

That is a DOCSIS 2 modem. There are plenty of reasons why DOCSIS 2 might perform better, including less bugs in firmware (both in the modem and the CMTS), less network saturation (I'm sure no high-volume users are on D2 anymore), maybe even different CMTS equipment (are the Casa CMTSes powering the D2 channels, or is older Cisco equipment still in use for D2?), etc. Maybe the channel bonding in DOCSIS 3 inherently adds latency; who knows.

None of those have anything to do with a 'standalone modem' compared to a gateway in bridge mode... and really, if Hitron was to sell a standalone modem, I'm sure it would run the same firmware (minus the gateway/NAT/wireless/etc code) as the gateways, so it'd have the same bugs...

Eelsisy
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I received the firmware update yesterday and now I can see the Chromecast icon on all devices.

Thanks for your help

Essam

user12343543
I plan to stick around

I think it's deeper than D2 vs D3. I have a 2nd cable line and have much better ping times on that modem (same cmts remember)

I think the Hitrons have serious issues, ping'd the actual modem and this jitter is insane! (2nd modem is never above 1ms)

IMG.png

83 MS to a LOCAL device is insane! 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Latency should be a priority for a top notch services.

Rogers gigabit is advertised as a god package  at 149.99$ a month and you have sky high ping in online games.. 

Top notch service = lowest ping possible.

user12343543
I plan to stick around

hopefully bell's ftth will kick them into gear. Tried at a friends house and ping to google is 2MS not 100 😛

Wow that's great ping !