Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Rogers to offer gigabit download speeds to Internet customers

I Plan to Stick Around

The emails from Rogers have started.

Sign up to be one of the first to learn about Rogers 4K TV and Rogers Ignite Gigabit Internet.  No mention of network hardware tough..

I Plan to Stick Around

i would if i could find where to sign up for the nfo :-)

Rogers Employee

@hiho

For more information of the Gigabit service have a look here

You can sign up for more info on this page as well. 

SS

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around

[ Edited ]

Speed.png

I don't see a recent thread about my residential gigabit internet speeds, lets start a discussion.

Highlighted

I Plan to Stick Around

[ Edited ]
I've Been Around

[ Edited ]

So I just switched to the Ignite Gigabit from my u100 plan. When I did a speed test it only showed 295 mbps. What going on here?

Yes I went to the Rogers store to get their new Gigabit modem as well, and YES my area supports Gigabit internet.

#FirstWordProblems

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert

[ Edited ]

@Soggyrice   

Moving up beyond 100Mb/s requires some homework on the part of the end user.  That homework is basically a review of all of the connected cables, and devices to determine if they support anything above 100Mb/s and if they are configured to support higher data rates.  While that might sound a little condescending, believe me its not.  We run into problems on the forum, probably on a weekly basis where a user moves up in data rates only to discover that the end devices themselves won't support the higher data rates as they just aren't fast enough, or that the ethernet ports or wifi adapters only support 100 Mb/s for example.  This also includes any routers and switches in the network.  As an example, we have a laptop that won't go beyond 200 to 210 Mb/s, wired or wifi, but yet, on the same network, a gaming laptop or desktop reaches almost 1 gig/s.  So, please post the details of your network and details of the device that you are using for testing purposes.  To run a speedtest you should use the speedtest.net Toronto Telus or Toronto Beanfield servers.

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree.    I have been swapping cables for good CAT6 ones and I am patiently waiting for the service to hit my town/street.  My router claims to have 1Gbs ports , my Gb switch claims to do 1Gbs as does my main machine.

BUT the only machine I would trust for this is a brand new build with a  GigaByte Z170 mobo, a new I5 and new 2133 Mbps memory.  It claims to be connecting at 1Gbps through the internal network now and it certainly OUGHT to be able to do it.     I might believe my router can do 1Gbps in on its WAN port and 1Gbps out on 1 LAN port at a time  but I'll wait and see.

Rogers-wise I am at the end of a small street with 6 taps on the cable to a sort of main street ( still not a main road) so I am not sure what speed I will actually get when it arrives.  I guess it will depend on where fibre is connected to coax.

I Plan to Stick Around

"a  GigaByte Z170 mobo, a new I5 and new 2133 Mbps memory" - yes, that is important, especially how fast the memory is. And i5 too, cause i3 obviously can't do 1Gb:-).

Cause why would you check the network adapter, for example, right?

Just joking:-).

I Plan to Stick Around

If I had to make do with onboard lan then it would be a 100 series Z170 with Intel I219 ethernet

Topic Stats
  • 39 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 14 in conversation