Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

(posting this here, since there is not its own board for it :smileyhappy:

As of yesterday, i now have the Rogers Home Monitoring security system.  I am creating this thread here, so people can ask question on the service, share their experiences, etc.

Hardware

As with any security system, it needs the sensors/monitors to work.  These are all bought through rogers, so they are your own to own, can take them when you move, etc.  These are the following devices, i know of, that are available.

- Motion sensors (heat based)

- Door/window sensors

- Glass Break Sensors

- Video Cameras

- Light activators (can remotely turn on/off plug in lights/lamps)

- Furnace controls (this requires you to use a specific control from them as your general thermostat, but then can be connected to through the service

- They are working on apparently one for the front house lights.  Works kind of like a timer you can get for your exterior lights, but then can also be accessed via this service to turn on and off.

The last thing is the tablet/keypad.  This is touch screen, and will go into some of its other features later).  It requires a power source, but has a battery backup on it.  This in the end, is NOT owned by you, but part of your monthly fee.  But with that, they are able to change/update the pad as technology moves on. (rumor is that in about a year, they will be going to a newer more function one).

All these devices connect via bluetooth.  All my main floor, with pad at front door, and back door sensor was at 100% signal strength.  Only one that was a little less, was the montion sensor upstairs at 80.

Connectivity

One big thing that rogers pushes with this, compared to most security systems, is that it has dual connections.  Its primary connection out, is via your internet connection.  Its also has a backup, that if this is severed or not working, that it will go out via the celular network.

The pad, connects wirelessly, to your network.  Now, the technicians when they come out, say that you have to have the SMC gateway.. its most likely because they have had the best luck on the pad connecting to it.  Other sources say, that they have been able to switch back to a cisco one, etc.. and even connect it on their own wireless router.

Arming/Disarming, etc

This system gives you a few default options.  Alarm Stay, Alarm Away, Alarm Night.

Alarm Stay - allows one to arm it while in the house.  Any motion detectors will not be turned on.  Primary door only, will be allowed an exit durring the arming time, and will have a 60sec delay if opened after arm, to be able to turn the alarm off.

Alarm Away - will turn on all the motion detectors, as well as the sensors.  It will allow the door to open/close durring the arming, and give the 60 seconds to disarm when entering.

Alarm Night - Is the same as an alarm stay, where the motion sensors are turned off.  BUT the major difference, is that the main door, is set to full alarm.  If it is opened, it will set of the alarm, there is not the 60 seconds to disarm.

Also, you can pre-turn off speicific montiors.  So say, you are having a party, and want the front door and windows alarmed, but still want people to go through the back door in and out.. you can turn OFF the back door sensor, then set the alarm.. and it will ignore the one sensor.  Once the system is unarmed, it will go back to its default setting.

These different settings, can be accessed via the touchpad.  They also can be set via the app (iphone, ipad, and android (phone only)), or also the online services page. 

You can set up different codes, for different people.  That your faimily has one, but your kids another.  That your mother has yet another when she visits.  Via the pad or the web apps, you can view the history, and see which code was used to un alarm when.  You can also restrict times/dates that those codes are usable.

Notifications
You can set up multiple notifications, for different types of things.  Even different notifications that go to different people.
You can set it up, that it will email you, every time the system is unarmed.  But set it that any ALARM will text and email both you and your wife that it was set off.
You can pre schedule stuff.  That at 12 midnight, the system will auto arm itself, incase you didnt do it.  You can set it that the video camera, will record a section of video at this time, since the kids should be home.
You can set it, that when ever the door opens, durring a certian period of time, take a picture, so you know who is with your kids at the time.

You can set it, for NON events as well.  So your kids are suposed to be home, between 3-4.  IF the system is not unarmed at that time, it will notify you.

Bonus Apps

These are really an extra but there are other apps you can have on the touch pad itself.  Things from a clock, to sportsnet.ca, and the weather network, and trafic listings.  So before you go , you can check the weather or traffic, etc.  You can also set these as a screen saver, that when the thing is idle, is always showing the sports scores, etc.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Re: Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

I have only had it for 1 day almost now.. but so far, i am impressed.

With all the notifications and rules, its very easy to customize almost to how you would want. (the only thing i see it lacking, is setting a rule, say for unarm, but message me ONLY when code X is used, sort of thing).

The only other thing i could want, goes along with this.  If you view the history on the iphone app, it shows say that there was that disarm at whatever time, which is great.. but it only says disarm, doesn not say by WHAT code.
Via the web app, you can see which code did it.  This could be something they update the web app with.

The remote connectivity is great.  I laughed at my wife, as she left for work after me.. and i texted her, to let her know she forgot to arm it :smileyhappy: one press of the button from my iphone, and its armed.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
Bogeyman

My system just went through a lengthy upgrade. What was included in this system upgrade? Was my residence unsecured while the upgrade was in process?

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Bogeyman wrote:

My system just went through a lengthy upgrade. What was included in this system upgrade? Was my residence unsecured while the upgrade was in process?

Hopefuly a rep can come here and answer.. if they are able to get that info.  If you call into tech support for the system, they may be able to answer you.  the 3 people i have talked to so far, have been EXCELENT and knoedgable in the product.

When did you get that upgrade? as i just got my system on monday, i may have already had that update on it.  Just curious how you knew it was upgraded (looked different, etc?).

That is a very good question though.  At min, i could see if while it was rebooting, that it would be un protected.  If it is unprotected durring these updates, we hopefuly should have the option as to WHEN to run them.. IE: a message that comes up saying you have to do the update in the next 24 hours, but you can choose to do it at 7pm, when you are home and its not a big deal, etc.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
Just got home, house alarmed as it should be. Litteraly the second it was in alarmed, it started the update. So it will only do in a state while it's not on?
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
emb

Are you sure the devices all use bluetooth? It seems like the range would not be good enough to cover an entire house if it were bluetooth. Most home automation systems I've looked into use ZigBee or Z-Wave or Wi-Fi. Have you had issues with range?  I'm also interested in where the devices you install come from. I know they are ordered from Rogers, but do you know what vendors Rogers uses? I like to know what I'm going to be putting in my house and where my money is going.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

The tech was the ones that added them all to the home.. but both the person on the phone (sr manager at the monitoring center) as well as the tech, said bluetooth.  As they are not sending voice/audio, the need for a perfect signal may not be necessary.  Maybe on a house over 2000sqft might have an issue.  All depends on what/how many sensors you put in.  Like yes, they might have an issue signal wise on my rear bedroom window.  But, its a window, thats on the 2nd floor, with no roof below it, etc.. the chances of someone breaking into that room are alot less likely, so i did not put a sensor there (and they would get nailed when they came out into the hallway by the motion sensor).

As per the moible app, you can look into the details for each sensor, each time they are triggered (even a door open/close) it records the sensors values, so you can view it.  My furthest away sensor, which is in the upstairs hallway, shows 97% signal strength, (as well is shows the battery voltage and temperature).

Unfortunately, i dont know the brands of the sesors.. i can take a look when i get home, to see if any of them are labled on the outside. I dont want to play around with them to look inside, as they are calibrated properly right now, last thing i want to do is screw something up on them.. i am not an expert on setting them up.

The touch pad, i know is a rental, and is made by SMC.. but they are apparently looking at a new one within a year-ish, not sure on brand.
When the tech was setting up, he did mention a few names on sensors.. but unfortunately i dont remember them.  All i remember him saying, is that they moved away from this one brand ones, as they were having issues with them.. but the ones that i have are the more reliable ones that they should be rolling out to all people now.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
The two door sensors I have, are smc. The glass break sensor is sentrol. The motion sensors I can't tell without taking them off, but I think are the same as the door sensors. (Door, the name was on inside).

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
emb
Thank you so much! I find this very interesting, will have to do more research to see if this home monitoring system is the right one for me.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
I did some research before getting it. It's monthly monitoring, is the same as the bigger name ones (adt, etc). Some smaller 3rd party one might be cheaper, but they just don't have the name behind them.

My bro and mother have security systems, and pay the same. Their panels are so basic, little lights for zones, keypad, etc. I really like the status's on this one, labeled, can change them, etc. plus all the other features.

The dual connectivity is a big thing. Most go only phone, etc, that this does both net and cellular is a good piece of mind.

Muti points of access to arm/disarm is nice. Go up to bed, forget to arm? Forget getting out of bed :smileytongue:. just use the iphone/android to arm it from up there, etc.

If you have any more q's, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer. :smileyhappy:. And I suggest calling, they can fill you in in some more too.
Please use plain text.
Welcome

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades

Pour notre communauté en français cliquez-ici!

Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count

socialicon Facebook Helps Compliment Concern

© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications