Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
banner Welcome Register

Taking over contract Scam

I've Been Here Awhile
Derek_Gardner

Question:  I adverstised on Kijiji looking for someone to take over my contract, with 2 years left.   I have had atleast 10 emails with people wanting it.  Several people have said they dont need my phone because they already have one.

This seems a little odd, why would they want into a contract when they can go monthly with the phone they already have?

Are there any scams going on??? I called rogers and they didnt know of any, and they said once I transfer it, its outta my hands and have nothing to worry about.

Anyone got any info???
Thanks,

Derek

Please use plain text.

Re: Taking over contract Scam

Resident Expert
Meowmix
Hello Derek_Gardner

The people that do not have a contract, just have a phone on pay as you go. This means they are looking for contracts that are less then 3 years because they do not want to sign up for a new 3 year deal to get a phone & such.

There is no scam going on. Remember the person that is taking over, may do the same as you later on. This does happen a lot & its not a scam nor is it illegal.

That is correct. Once you do the transfer, the line & account will be out of your hands & you will not be responsible for anything after that day.

So in the end, no scamming is going on. This is total legal in the world as anyone is free to do this. I can transfer all my lines to someone over on kijiji as well without having them scam me or anything.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Derek_Gardner

Thanks for the reply

Why would they want too lock in when they can go monthly?    Also, is there only 3 year contracts?

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Meowmix
Hello Derek_Gardner

Yes there is Month to Month, 1 year term, 2 year term & 3 year term. The less years you go, the more money it will be to get the phone. The phones are less on a 3 year contract. That is why everyone takes 3 year contracts.

They could just take over, & then do what you did & sell it to someone else or give it out for free to someone else. Everyone has their own reasons & this does not mean its a scam or anything.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Now, for them to take over the contract.. the  person its getting handed to, would have to pretty much go through the regular process the same as getting a new phone (getting their personal info, possible credit check, etc) correct?

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
Meowmix

Hello GDkitty.

That is correct. The Rogers agent will have to run a credit check on that person. If the persons credit is good, they will give the green light to have that person get the transfer for the line.

If the persons credit is bad, then they will need to put down a amount of deposit Rogers tells them. This is how it goes with any carrier.

I would also like to add that even if the other person that wants the line, already has 1 or 2 cellphone lines on their account, it means nothing. Rogers will let you have UP TO 5 cellphone lines. This person can just easily just sell or give the line out to someone else on Kijiji just like you did.

This is normal & nothing scamming or bad is going on.

Please use plain text.
socialicon Facebook Helps Compliment Concern

Welcome

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades

Pour notre communauté en français cliquez-ici!

Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications