Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

blackberry data plan

I've Been Around
laurel_xo

Just curious if anyone know the answer to my question.

I have a blackberry data plan which expires August 2013. I wanted to buy the iphone and was wondering if I could change my data plan to one that works with the iphone? Or if I have the contract with the blackberry data plan only?

In other words, Is my data contract only with Blackberries or as long as I always have a data plan it can be used with different phones? Thanks!

Please use plain text.

Re: blackberry data plan

Former Moderator
RogersShehzad

Hello Laurel_xo,

Blackberry data plans do not work with the iPhone, the iPhone uses a data plan specific for all Apple iPhones (3G, 3GS, 4, etc.)

Your blackberry data plan will not allow you to browse or send and receive e-mail with your iPhone you would certainly need to change your data plan to one that works with the iPhone. You can certainly call into our customer care department at 1-866-931-3282 and they can discuss the details with you for your plan and make the necessary changes with you.

Click on the thumbs up image to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for -- it'll help our community grow stronger!
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly
Hello laurel_xo, and Rogers Shelhzad,

First things first, please do not delete my post, without consulting with one of your Engineers. You guys seem to stick to your guns on your answer, but you should take the advice from me personally, and perhaps you should actually investigate my claims.

Blackberry Data plans DO certainly work with non-blackberry devices such as iPhones.

I find it strange how a Rogers moderator is telling you otherwise, but I can assure you it works.

BlackBerry Data plans have APN's 1, 2 and 3 built in. (APN 3 needed specifically for RIM)
Non-Blackberry data plans have only APN's 1 and 2.

The iPhone works just fine with APN's 1 and 2, so in summary, both data plans will work, but there is no point removing the blackberry plan, because the extra APN included with it is there incase you need it or ever switch to a BB device that requires it.
Once again, please I ask you to not moderate my posts, you may have been told it doesn't work by someone in marketing, but you should really escalate this to someone perhaps an Engineer who actually knows this. If you want I can forward you his/her contact info to confirm this.

--
I am NOT a Rogers employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly
Please use plain text.

Former Moderator
RogersShehzad

Hello Pauly,

Thanks for the clarification and research on this it is very detailed, as I should have been more clear on my post. My post was based on all blackberry data plans including two blackberry data plans that did not include access to these access points. The personal e-mail plan and the social networking plan, I hope this clears things up.

Click on the thumbs up image to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for -- it'll help our community grow stronger!
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Senna

Moderators do their jobs according to site policy and procedures~I'm sure they can only do so much and would not delete without good reason :smileywink:

In any case, of the data plan does not even exprie until 2013~I don't see it being such a concern now as we are only going into 2011.  By that time, there will be a lot of new changes to plans, phones, and usage.  You may find that you will still want to stick with a BB, go with the iPhone or even find something new to go with.

As well, if the data plan you have now does not suit your needs, why would you not be able to change your plan around a bit to make it work better for you and your needs?  I've had a lot of help and success when I needed to re-arrange my plan for what I needed.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Spotlight: People you will see in the Community and 'who' they are. Part 4

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications