Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Wi-Fi without a data plan

I've Been Around
wilkingo

I know that the samsung corby can do wi-fi without a data plan but what other phones does rogers offer that I can use wi-fi?

Please use plain text.

Re: Wi-Fi without a data plan

I've Been Here Awhile
javatyger
WIFI is just wifi, you don't need a data plan to use it. If a phone actually blocks you from using it, that phone is total crap. LOL.

All WIFI enabled BlackBerry devices definitely work just fine on WIFI without a data plan, just certain things will not work, like some apps and also BBM.

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:
You'll find me at http://www.twitter.com/javatyger when I'm not in class or playing hockey.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly
If you want Wi-Fi for surfing then why not invest in a netbook or tablet or something similar?

A Blackberry does connect through wifi, but it also needs to connect to blackberry infastructure at some point to use blackberry specific apps like app-world, BBM, and push mail technology, which requires you a monthly subscription via cellular network. But like others have said, the Oprah browser installed on your BB will work fine for surfinf on wi-fi.

so make suer you know what your needs are first.
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
bb27

You're wrong. I have a blackberry curve 8900 and when I took out my data plan, my wifi didn't work anymore. I called rogers and they said that I needed to have a data plan to use wifi. 

If I was rich, I would cancel my plan with them now but I don't have the money. I would NEVER EVER recommend rogers to anyone EVER.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly

im wrong? haven't you read a word what I said? im guessing not.

Data Won't work.  Surfing "might" work but its only been reported using a third party browser.   Blackberry is not just a phone, Do you think they spent billions building a blackberry infastructure for no reason?

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile
Nezgar

I personally owned the 8900, and can say that Wi-Fi does work without a data plan.  Even without a SIM card installed.  You may have experienced that your internet browser doesn't work, because the default options in the browser are to use 'Internet Browser' - it must be configured for 'HotSpot Browser' to work without a connection to the BIS infrastructure.  You will also find it is a lot slower on the 8900 without BIS, as the OS 5 browser is very ineffecient, and it is helped a lot by the precomression done by BIS servers.

You will find that e-mail, BBM, and appworld will not work at all without BIS. Some 3rd party apps will fail as well if they don't know how to use alternate connection methods.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly
just a FYI, every phone has a different result, its safe to say "might" work because on Tellis and Bell the story was different too. also it varries model to model too. Its NOT safe to assume it will always work, Your Kilometres May Vary.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
BillJ

Pauly's got the best answer of the bunch.  It's hard to say from phone to phone.  Some things you CAN count on are the following:

- BlackBerry phones receive their data once it has passed through RIM's servers and has been compressed before being sent to your phone.  In order to know how to do that, they require that service books be sent to the phone itself.  These are like the instruction manuals for your phone.  These service books can only be sent to your phone if it has a SIM card associated with BIS.  Yes, you might still be able to do some mild surfing, but for the most part you're not going to get much from your BlackBerry without BIS.

- (That's really all I've got.  I thought I had enough to make a couple of points, but apparently not.  My first point was strong enough to stand on its own.)

Oh, one more thing.  If you have to do a lot of browsing and you don't have BIS, the Opera Mini browser works without BIS being in place.

I hope I've been helpful.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I'm Here A Lot
Blitz

I think it's the OS that's the problem. My phone's software has recently been upgraded (after a total wipe) and WiFi doesn't work anymore. Can't get App World to work either, so I can't reload any of my favourite apps. The telephone "help" for the pay-as-you go corner of Rogers isn't good at solving problems - absolutely horrible, in fact. Always different "solutions" and/or "causes". I dare say they even lie. I'm hoping the guy that "upgraded" my phone has a solution. If not then I'm gonna have to clench my fists and march up to that giant green palace of total, unfettered capitalism and brand narcissism, pull back the wizard's curtain and ask. Have you noticed how they lock the default browser's home page to Rogers now, and made the bookmarks folder called Rogers. There are also implanted specific Rogers app sites. Et cetera, et cetera... It's a sad day when somebody joins a forum solely because Rogers pay-as-you-go is causing them trouble. [Kilroy was here]

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
cgbfgnfjfjrsyjs
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I was using a Rogers BB9700 with Chatr prepaid (about $35/mo for unlimited everything!) and the wifi worked perfectly. I recently moved to an area that does not offer Chatr service so I reluctantly went with Rogers pay-as-you-go. I thought it was odd that I could never seem to connect to wifi so I begin hitting some online forums and google. Needless to say, it appears Rogers somehow prohibits my phone from using wifi. My phone detects the wifi connection but will not successfully access a webpage. About 2 minutes before writing this I SWITCHED my Rogers SIM with my old Chatr Sim (who are actually owned by Rogers) and PRESTO instantly connected to the internet! Rogers is BY FAR the worst of all carriers that we have to choose from in Canada. They even charge pay-as-you-go customers for RECEIVING (not just checking) voicemail! I don't mean just a general subscription fee to have voicemail added, I am talking per minute billing for something that you have ZERO control over. Rogers themselves can be calling you and leaving a 5 min message and actually be getting paid to do so! I don't even understand how that is legal or how the CRTC allows it. Insanity!
Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Happy Birthday Idea Box!!

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications