Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Re: Unlocking iPhone4

I'm a Trusted Enthusiast
KWUser

gregwootton wrote:

I currently have an iPhone 4, and if I get the next iPhone thats coming out, is there any way to unlock the iPhone 4 after I have the new iPhone?

Their original policy did allow for the older phone to be unlocked once you upgraded to a new device. Since you were starting a new contract, your old one was considered fulfilled. This may have changed, so it would be calling to verify. It wil still be $50 to do the unlock, if they allow it.

I've Been Around
IaLo
I have similar challenges. I changed my cell for an iPhone at Christmas and at the time advised the Rogers store that it was possible that I would be relocating to the UK for a few years. After having the account for 9 mths, I did indeed need to close out my account and will need to pay $500+tax to cancel the contract only to find that when I do, the iPhone is locked to other networks and was told at the time of deactivation "all the networks do that". What an absolute abuse of the customer. First no one at rogers ever suggested that the phone was locked and now, as I pay out the contract, I am given the runaround for a telephone which is now actually mine. This surely is anti-competetive in its most basic form. Unbelievable!

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Resident Expert
Chris
@IaLo Thats par for the course for carries in Canada, all phones are locked to their network. You can buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple. But it costs $749 or something like that.. You may have better luck getting the phone unlocked in the UK as it is way more common for people to have multiple sim cards from different carriers to make calls at different times of day etc..

Or you can jailbreak / unlock your phone yourself.

Or you might be able to pay Rogers $50 and get them to unlock it, but being an iPhone4 and getting out of the contract early they may not do it for you...
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.

I Plan to Stick Around
sebstienruel
gregwootton wrote:

I currently have an iPhone 4, and if I get the next iPhone thats coming out, is there any way to unlock the iPhone 4 after I have the new iPhone?

Their original policy did allow for the older phone to be unlocked once you upgraded to a new device. Since you were starting a new contract, your old one was considered fulfilled. This may have changed, so it would be calling to verify. It wil still be $50 to do the unlock, if they allow it.

I tried today and they did want to unlock my iphone 4.. 

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around
inferno129

EDIT: Nevermind

I've Been Around
bluefender

OK, so I go and call in wanting to get my phone unlocked properly so that it doesn't re-lock next time I update and I get told, you can't unless you are cancelling your contract and even then, the contract has to have been requested to be cancelled and there's a window of time between the request and the actual cancellation and that it's during that brief timeframe that you can call in and get the phone unlocked. How stupid is that? WHere is the freedom of choice here? I'm paying out the contract and phone if I cancel so why not unlock it at anytime? You still get paid no matter what? THis is utter crap!!

Resident Expert
Meowmix
Its not stupid at all. The rules to unlock a phone is simple. They will only alloewe you to unlock your phone if

A. You have bought the phone outright from them.
B. You have almost done your 36 term with them.
C. If you are leaving for another country & want to cancel your phone then they will let you do the unlocking for $50.

This article is from December of 2010 but those are the rules to unlock your phone.
"On Monday, Rogers quietly put the policy into effect. A spokesperson said the company started looking into making the change in early 2010.

Customers can pay $50 to have their phone unlocked if their contract commitment period has expired — allowing them to switch to another carrier — or if they have paid the full unsubsidized cost for their handset."

http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/rogers/article/908379--rogers-will-unlock-phones-for-a-pri...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile
Police

Hello,

My uncle live in Canada and he make me a gift iPhone 4, but he's locked to Rogers. I live in Europe and now this iPhone is useless, please tell me how can I unlock my iPhone 4?

Thank you!

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
Meowmix

The only way is either jailbreaking it or do this

http://www.redmondpie.com/gevey-sim-unlock-for-iphone-4-ios-4.3-4.2.1-on-2.10.04-3.10.01-baseband-vi...

other then that you can not unlock it. Apple is very strict with that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile
Police

Already bought GEVEY SIM but do not work right, when I unlock SIM and show me this: http://www.blogsdna.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/iPhone-Different-SIM-Detected-on-Emergency-Mode.j...

Just lock the menu.

I don't what is the problem?

Thanks!

socialicon Helps Facebook Compliment Concern

Welcome

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades

Pour notre communauté en français cliquez-ici!

Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications