cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Rogers support RCS enhanced Messaging?

jskrzypczak
I've been around

I see that google has finally launched RCS messaging with Sprint in the United States. Is Rogers committed to supporting RCS? Is there a timeline for its rollout?

***Edited Labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: Will Rogers support RCS enhanced Messaging?

daniel10
I plan to stick around

RCS for S8+

Hey I know Rogers has enabled RCS function if you download android messenger. But bell has Samsung messenger native app working for RCS. Does Rogers have any info on when they will enable it?
Link to bell enabling it
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/30/bell-advanced-messaging-canadian-smartphone-owners/

@daniel10 wrote:

RCS for S8+

Hey I know Rogers has enabled RCS function if you download android messenger. But bell has Samsung messenger native app working for RCS. Does Rogers have any info on when they will enable it?
Link to bell enabling it
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/30/bell-advanced-messaging-canadian-smartphone-owners/

I asked this question about a month ago, I too am waiting for Rogers to enable RCS on the stock Samsung Messenger app. The response I got was it's in the works, but not released yet. 

Hello @daniel10 & @gp-se,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

RCS is definitely a new and exciting feature for Android devices.

Rogers has partnered with Google to be the first telecom to bring RCS Messaging via Android Message. Due to this partnership, I am not sure when the native Samsung Messaging App will be supported for RCS. There is a good possibility this could be something in the works in the near future but we have not been advised when this will happen. We will keep everyone in the loop for when that happens.

It sure is an exciting time for Mobile technology!

Stay tuned.

RogersTony

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Yes, Samsung has promoted that RCS is native in their devices, but if it isn't working as expected, you can always use the Android Messenger App - Google's solution. 

Rogers was the first to introduce it along with their partner service, FIDO, Bell introduced it in August of this year.  Bell is pushing its implementation out on the S8 and Note8.

I suspect that the Google Android messenger app may work on the bell network, but they don't say.

Interesting marketing though - Rogers - first to release on Google android app, (Canadian market by the way, it was available on a broader scale in U.S.) available to all android phones after Marshmellow, and preinstalled on all new phones.  Bell, is first to market it as a fully native solution on the Samsung, while it appears from your experience that it doesn't work on Rogers.

Not the optimum solution as Samsung has marketed that it is service ready natively in the product, but if not working, while waiting, you at least have an alternative of Android Messenger - try downloading it and see if it works.

This seems to be the new thing to differentiate the companies, adding features to the network that are baked into the phones, but not necessarily fully supporting them.

It may come to Rogers, but not stated if or when at this point - they already have their model.

Bruce

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@BS wrote:

Yes, Samsung has promoted that RCS is native in their devices, but if it isn't working as expected, you can always use the Android Messenger App - Google's solution. 

Rogers was the first to introduce it along with their partner service, FIDO, Bell introduced it in August of this year.  Bell is pushing its implementation out on the S8 and Note8.

I suspect that the Google Android messenger app may work on the bell network, but they don't say.

Interesting marketing though - Rogers - first to release on Google android app, (Canadian market by the way, it was available on a broader scale in U.S.) available to all android phones after Marshmellow, and preinstalled on all new phones.  Bell, is first to market it as a fully native solution on the Samsung, while it appears from your experience that it doesn't work on Rogers.

Not the optimum solution as Samsung has marketed that it is service ready natively in the product, but if not working, while waiting, you at least have an alternative of Android Messenger - try downloading it and see if it works.

This seems to be the new thing to differentiate the companies, adding features to the network that are baked into the phones, but not necessarily fully supporting them.

It may come to Rogers, but not stated if or when at this point - they already have their model.

Bruce

@BS On my Samsung S8 using Google Messenger it does work with Rogers, however I prefer the stock Samsung Messenger Application. I hope Rogers enables it on Samsung Messenger soon! I'm sure the majority of Samsung users are using the stock Samsung Messenger app, so having it enabled would be a great benefit for us. 

Dx9
I'm a reliable contributor
I like the Samsung Messaging app better also. I don't use it because Rogers RCS only works on Android Messages. Hope they enable it.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Time will tell. This is one of the issues holding RCS back in Canada is restrictions to applications and carriers.

Kind of like text was in the beginning - you could only do Rogers to Rogers.

Agree, hope it comes.

Bruce

yanikproulx
I've been here awhile
Can't get RCS to work

I have just this week transferred from Videotron to Rogers. One of the things I was eager to try is RCS, but I simply cannot get it activated/enabled. I have a OnePlus 3 running LineageOS 15.1 (Android Oreo 8.1) and the latest version of Google Messages.

There are no banners or settings about "chat" or "enhanced messaging" anywhere.

I have tried asking online chat support, but two supports did not know what RCS was and the third told me it wouldn't work because I hadn't bought my phone from Rogers (which, I suppose, is possible, but seems like a terrible answer).

Any tips?

Hello @yanikproulx,

Welcome to the Community Forums, and thanks for reaching out.

I can definitely appreciate your interest in RCS. I've been using it for some time on my Note 8, and the features are really handy.

Unfortunately, it is indeed true that we can't guarantee 100% functionality for all services on a non-Rogers device. However, there are ways for us to look into this for you.

Please send a PM to @CommunityHelps when you get a chance. To learn more about our Private Message system, check out this blog

RogersShaun

imeem
I plan to stick around

do older phones, like the Galaxy Note 4, support RCS enhanced messaging if I use the Android messaging app by google? 

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@imeem

@imeem wrote:

do older phones, like the Galaxy Note 4, support RCS enhanced messaging if I use the Android messaging app by google? 

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/android-messages-enhanced-features-help-support

any device running android 4.4 or higher

yanikproulx
I've been here awhile

Except that it's not quite true. In theory, every Android phone running 4.4 and up is CAPABLE of supporting RCS, but Rogers actually CHOOSES which phone/model will have access to it on their network. (for example, I have a OnePlus 3 that totally supports RCS on other networks, but that Rogers chooses not to support)

The option for the RCS enrollment is under the Advanced menu in Messages. You likely know this. As far as I know, RCS through Messages is supported by every Android phone running Lollipop and higher. My Nexus 5 with Marshmallow ran it good. I'm not sure why this option may be hidden from your OnePlus 3.

- open Messages so you are not in a chat with anyone

- click on the 3-dot menu in the upper right

- select Settings

- select Advanced

- the first option is where the menu resides and is called "Chat features" and is described "Use data for messaging when available"

- below that option is "Group messaging" and below that is "Auto-download MMS" etc.

If you have "Chat features" available in the Advanced menu, and the phone has not been setup for them, it will open a blue screen titled "Do more with Messenger". 

On the lower right you then would click "NEXT" and after that a white circle spinner indicates it is trying to connect to the carrier network.

a) the spinning circle turns into a checkmark... this means that RCS is ready to use... this should happen within 20 seconds if things are OK

b) after more elapsed time and a spinning circle the page changes and you see the text "Excuse the wait..." with a big dismissal button "GOT IT"... this is bad but can be fixed!

In the event that your Messages does not complete the RCS enrollment like in step b above, you need to contact the carrier (Rogers). You need to ask them to reset your RCS profile in their system. If they do not know, a 2nd level tech should assist them to find your "profile in the network" using their tools. They should "see" your phone in the tool, and after asking you to reboot the phone (shut it off and then on at some point), you may now get RCS to enroll. While using the tools they have, they can send you a test RCS message from the Google Jibe server to confirm it is working.

I suggest you clear the cache and data for Messages before calling Rogers. Google the steps to do this.. please.

I suggest you communicate with Rogers during less busy times to get this done. I also recommend using a live chat. Like this:

Reason for chat: My Enhanced Messaging / RCS on my new phone won't setup.

[Rogers] how are you whats wrong..

[You] My Android Messages RCS Enhanced Messaging is not enrolling / provisioning with the Rogers RCS server.

[Rogers] umm.. whelp!

[You] if you're not too busy please ask about this with a 2nd level tech.. I've heard that you need to delete my RCS  (Rich Communications Services) profile in the network!

[R] hey I need you to turn your phone off...

[R] turn it back on...

[R] go try enrolling again

[You] IT WORKED! EUREKA! I got the spinning circle and then a checkmark!

If it doesn't work then, I suppose try again another day. Make sure you have cellular and WiFi data on. Be sure to clear the cache and data before re-attempting the enrollment; you don't loose any texts doing that.

Anyways, hopefully this helps some people and maybe even some poor overwhelmed Rogers techs out there.

Snappy

yanikproulx: 

Like my previous message states, you should have the menu option in Messages under Advanced named Chat features.
If you do not, I'm almost certain it is your OnePlus 3/Lineage OS. Possibly your phone is rooted and Messages does not allow RCS on rooted phones.
Google this and let us know.

For me my Nexus 5, Nexus 6P and Pixel 2 all have that menu option in Messages and RCS works.

Good luck.

daniel10
I plan to stick around
Link to bell enabling it

Good day @daniel10,

Thank you for your post! I definitely understand your interest in the Rich Communication Services features of the Android Messages app.

In the article you referred to, it states : "Bell is the second major carrier to launch RCS messaging after Rogers [...] debuted RCS support in December 2016.".

In fact, since April 2017, phones with Android Messages preloaded have Enhanced features enabled.

• Enhanced features only work between phones that have Enhanced features enabled.
  • Installing the app for the first time or updating the app will display a banner at the bottom of the screen letting you now that Enhanced features are available.

Find more information on Messenger for Android in the FAQs Support Article!

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

daniel10
I plan to stick around
Yes I'm aware RCS works with andriod messages but I was asking and hoping Rogers would get with the times like bell and make RCS work with Samsung messages. The native messaging app on all Samsung phones

Hello, @daniel10

I appreciate your interest in having the RCS supported on the native (Samsung) Messages app. At the moment, we are unable to comment on the service which we don't currently offer. Please stay tuned we will update the Community as the information becomes available. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Markham_Snappy
I plan to stick around

From what I've read about RCS, Samsung's stock texting app is supposed to be inter-operable with Android Messages as they both support whats called the RCS "Universal Profile".

The Universal Profile is what Google is pushing and gaining traction with. Prior to the RCS UP, some carriers had and still have RCS but it isn't compatible with other RCS servers.

I'm pretty sure in the RCS whitepaper they mention Samsung's app client uses the UP.

Down the road / in the future, I have to imagine that other app makers will adopt RCS into their apps.

Features that Viber or WeChat or Textra have that are unique to their ecosystems will be coded into the RCS Universal Profile (server software), and any other app maker/competitor that wants to support those features can add them into their apps (client software).

Features such as 'stickers' and deleting messages sent as a mistake and 'Snaps' like what Snapchat does.

The whole benefit to the RCS UP is to get the carriers (Rogers/Bell/Telus) involved in Internet chatting... SMS/MMS is limited and not preferred these days. The bonus is that if someone you Chat with doesn't have a UP client app on their device (iPhone), then a regular SMS is sent in place of the RCS Chat message.

Google Hangouts did all of this and some more (with Google Voice in the USA) but was limited as it could not send SMS/MMS.

daniel10
I plan to stick around
https://www.sammobile.com/2018/09/12/samsung-google-collaboration-rcs-messaging

Since Samsung is confriming that there message app will work with google andriod messages and RCS does that mean Roger's will support it as well? Bel already supports Samsung messages.

Hello, @daniel10.

It's certainly a good news for those who love the Samsung Messages app. We don't have any new information to share about supporting RCS with the Samsung Messages yet. As always please stay tuned we will gladly share any updates. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Topic Stats