Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Samsung S3 tethering not working

I've Been Here Awhile
deahamlet

So here's the thing.  Whenever I try Wifi hotspot on my Samsung S3, the computer connects, gets IP, but no internet connection.  What's even worse, while Tethering is on, the S3 itself cannot load a website to save its life half the time.

My boyfriend has a Razr HD and has zero problems tethering his.  I've tried with 3 different computers and no luck!  Also, it's not a reception issue as internet works very fast on the phone if wifi hotspot is not on.

Is it possible that tethering is blocked on my account?  On the phone?  As far as I can tell from searching it should "just work".  

Can anyone provide some insight?  I was able to tether just fine on the same plan on my iPhone 4 before I switched to the S3.

Thanx.

Please use plain text.

Re: Samsung S3 tethering not working

RogersAndrewNP

Hey deahamlet,

Is the data plan over 1GB? Would it be possibe to try your SIM in your boyfriends device or his SIM in your device?  If it is plan related when the SIM is switched to the other device, it would also have the same problem.

Do you run any battery saving apps?  These can also sometimes restrict connections to preserve battery life.

Hope this helps, let me know the outcome of the test and we can assist further.

Thanks,

RogersAndrewNP

Click to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the Options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for -- it'll help our community grow stronger!

Remember to check out:
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
The Lounge
Rogers Resident Experts
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
Silvertag

Did you configure the Wifi-AP password in your S3 ?  Default SSID stays the same but it contains a random password made up of numbers.  Your computer may recognize the AndroidAP from previous tether but cannot connect since the password it saved previously is not the same as the current one.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
scorney

Were you able to get it working?

I'm having the same issue. My plan is not the issue for sure as I used the same SIM on my iPhone4 and I was tethering with WiFi Hotshot, no issue.

I can get the WiFi hotshot up and running the iPad and laptop gets connected to my GS3 then I'm trying to go to www.google.com from the iPad or laptop and nothing.

I looked at the APN

• LTE Tethering (ltedata.apn)
  • Rogers LTE (ltemobile.apn)

Only Rogers LTE seems to work as I tried to select the LTE Tethering and automatically after 10 seconds Max it revert back to Roger LTE.

I wonder if Rogers are not playing with the APN or a NEW one is out ?

If you get it resolved please share the fix.

Thanks,

Sylvain

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
scorney

Issue Resolved!

I just found this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr/188304-wifi-tether-not-working-after-ics-upgrade.html

Jimmyjack1982  Provided the fix!

"If you go into the APN settings, you'll notice that there are 2 sets. Rogers LTE Internet and Tethering. The Tethering is set to ltedata.apn. Change this to ltemobile.apn (to match the first) and try connecting again."

I just changed it to both using the ltemobile.apn and it worked like a charme!

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
fankayan

Thank you so much for posting this! I would have never figured out how to fix this issue if I didn't come across your post :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
dzuluaga

Thanks I thought this directions were going to work on my Nexus 7 tablet. But it didn't :-(

I hope it's because Nexus 7 is not an actual phone and perhaps some features are still missing. It's too bad devices being blocked...

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
Petes
Thnx 4 ur help
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
Tony_YYZ

@dzuluaga

There is a known issue with Rogers tethering and stock Android builds (which the Nexus 7 runs). I was able to fix this on my Galaxy S3 while running a custom ROM but it requires Root access.

Are you by any chance Rooted?

I've Been Around
giogio87
I've solved the problem using ISWAT tether unlocker

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tetherunlocker
Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Spotlight: SA8300HD PVR Hard Drive Dead

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications