TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Rogers won't let me add one channel to my VIP package

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers won't let me add one channel to my VIP package

[ Edited ]

So the BBC Earth free preview ended and I called Rogers to get it added. For $4 extra per month, I don't mind. It was one of our most watched channels. However, I was told that they can't add it to my VIP package. They can add other BBC channels but not BBC Earth. In order to add it, I would have to switch to one of the new TV plans which I am NOT about to do. Really Rogers? You're going to refuse getting $4 extra from me every month? It's no wonder why you guys are bleeding cable customers with your archaic processes and policies!

***Added Labels***

Re: Rogers won't let me add one channel to my VIP package

Resident Expert

The writing is on the wall.  The VIP package is no longer available because it offers too much value. That is why Rogers puts hurdles in the way to coax customers into downgrading to one of the new low value packages. I have VIP and love it,  but once Rogers takes it away, it will be goodbye to Cable.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

[ Edited ]
I'm an Advisor

[ Edited ]

@toolcubed  I just checked the same on my account - I have VIP on contract until this fall - I keep all the discounts I currently have in place with my bundle, but to add the Earth Channel, I was told I had to go to the new Popular package to stay with close to the same channel mix and price point.  He did recommend that as I am a long term loyalty customer, I could always try getting in touch with them and see what they could do.  Maybe an option for those with years of being with them. Those are individualized by people though, and I haven't called since a couple of weeks ago because I am shopping.

Only 2 weeks ago, I checked and they were still doing 5.99 or 10.95 for the VIP plans to the end of their terms, and then at the end of the bundle term, we lose all discounts in place, driving the price way up, and so I would be looking at a new package mix to negotiate on or going to loyalty as a 26 year customers.

But basicallly, I was told the same, you can only add Earth by changing from VIP to another new (TV package).  They don't actually have defined buncles that we can go to at this point, or what those may be when your contract runs out - they can move things around, but changing Internet will shut down all ignite discounts, changing TV mix at all is new TV packages.

I agree with @OLDYELLR  What I see here is confirmation that they are very determined to push us off the legacy packages - if you want to stay, you are looking at all price increases you avoided and loss of discounts (in my case, about almost 30%), so kind of forces us to go to the new ones with less services to get comparable pricing, or work with loyalty and do the loyalty dance, or just move on.

This is telecom in Canada.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

So I have less than a year left on my price-protected bundle. If Rogers remains inflexible when it's time to renew, I will easily move to Bell because I know I'd be able to get a good deal as a new customer. It's sad that new customers are treated better than existing ones. If Rogers has no problem letting go of a loyal customer, then I have no problem discontinuing my business with them Smiley Happy

I'm an Advisor

@toolcubed  I agree with you on this one - Between now and when I end my contract, I do hope they find a loyalty discount that has been as fair as in the past - I can understand the desire to move us all to a few packages rather than all of the many different permiations of discounts and bundles, but if I don't get loyalty discounts added to the equivalent of a "new user" package, or give me the flexibility of choosing the mix of packages I desire, not the few advertised ones that we see there, I too will be moving on.

And in my case, at this time, I am trying to move to a package that will cost less.  I have been made offers to do that which keep my current loyalty discounts and applying older Internet, but I still have to do the dance at the end of my contract, and I am asked to just wait until the fall packages come out and work with loyalty.

I detest the fact that I have to go to loyalty and negotiate in order to get a fair loyalty offer. l have never had to go the loyalty department in the past, they offered most of my current existing discounts to me when I called in for something else.  

If I have to threaten to leave, I won't be threatening, I will be leaving.  The only reason I would be leaving after 26 years is because I felt that I wasn't being treated fairly for being a loyal customer.

I will see in the fall what happens.  There is no shortage of competition out there, not just Bell, and OTA and OTT solutions. I have stayed for this many years because they offered me the discounts, I didn't have to threaten for them.

As people look at their changes as these current contracts run out, it will be interesting to see what loyal customers are able to do.  But as I said, don't make me negotiate better deals (I hate car dealers for the same reason), and if I am forced to shop around, I usually don't come back.  Let's see how things go.

Bruce

I'm an Advisor

Oh, one other thing I learned - I asked about changing my Internet package (I have 60/200).  It currently has what was called the Ignite bundle discount.  If you change that, you lose the Ignite discount - was suggested that I go to Loyalty and discuss options.  So, basically, if you are on a contract bundle right now, you will lose some of your current discount features and you can choose from the current Internet, or Cable packages available.

From my current experience, they certainly don't have the capacity to make any changes to current older packages, without removing it and any related discounts on that feature and moving to a current one.  I have worked with Loyalty and was given more flexibility of the changes and discounting.  I leave it for each of you to decide whether to take what is offered, or go Loyalty.

As I said earlier, time will tell what we get offered once our contract runs out, but for now, they seem to running our current bundles and discounts out, and I would hope that the new packages are at least similiar and with comparable loyalty discounts.  As most of us have seen through comparison, the new packages tend to have less and cost more than the old ones.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just my opinion, but it is getting far too complicated to deal with Rogers and probably the other large cable/internet companies as well.

If I had my way there would be one competitive price for each level of service. Gone would be the special deals for new customers and those who have time or temperament to haggle for a lower price.

This would probably moderate the prices across the board because some customers wouldn't be paying higher prices to compensate for all the discount prices.

It's not going to happen but I sure would welcome more simplicity and clarity when making purchase decisions.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert

[ Edited ]

Hey Guys, the answer to this question was posted in another thread, but since it's relevant to this thread, I will answer it in here based on what I have learnt.

For current TV packages (Starter, Select, Premier etc.), BBC Earth is available as a standalone for $4 per month or as part of the Adventure Starter Theme Pack for $10 per month.

For users who still have grandfathered packages (Plus, VIP etc.) BBC Earth is available in the Nature and Adventure Pack for $5.99/per month or HDTV Specialty Pack for $10.95/month.

So there you have it, those of you who have a Grandfathered Cable TV package such as Digital VIP, you DO NOT NEED to change your package to get access to this channel. Some times agents may incorrectly give you this information, I unfortunately never had that happen to me yet.

I'm an Advisor

I think the solution to this problem is within ourselves.

Miscommunication between CSR's has always been rampant with every change that has occurred, and this has escalated in the last few years with the constant changes in packages, pricing, new offers to customers, special offers to past customers (sometimes on site when we log in, sometimes you learn when you call in)

My unerstanding is that Rogers is striving to what was just suggested - one set of competitive packages for all, but as long as the competition is offering new customer packages, there will be some negotiation to try to keep you, but I personally say that should be a one year discount for loyalty (call it just that), offer once after we tell them the offers from other companies, and then just let the market operate with clear transparent pricing for all.

Consider a meet the posted price of a competitor and provide 10% extra and no negotiation between contracts.

I know the challenge is that although this is not a true competitive market, it is an oligopoly, so things will always be bouncing, in particular as they play the game, we have the most coverage of wireless mobile in Ontario, we have best TV, we have best on-demand, we have the most customers on high speeds, we have the fastest network to customers providing more choice, etc, at the end of the discussion, price will always come into play, and naturally, as long as the companies continue to arbitrarily offer discounts to try to compete, scoop up customers, and avoid loss of customers, this game will continue.

So where is the solution in us - look at the market price, negotiate with the company in hand, and then decide whether to take it, but if you wish, offer the chance to the existing company, if you want to ask if they can match it or better, I think the company should just match it, and lets us buy based upon perceived best servicess and experience.  Let's all, including us, stop playing these crazy negotiations.

And give this simple approach to the front line CSR's, and don't roll out a change until you have communicated to all and trained on understanding, and provide higher level of quality control during that time.

I say all this, because although Pauly said the other offer for old plans is 5.99, I have now had three say it isn't, not since 2 weeks ago has anybody said otherwise, and in the item earlier in the thread in February.  From loyalty, they were willing and able to do it at their terminals to do it, because the old plan options are all available to them, but even they first said we had to move to the new plans, and then when I said, not interested, will need to think and shop around, then their options are told to me.

Now if I called in I would say I have heard this, and this, I want this one, can you do it, or not.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Pauly
What's New!
WWE: Backlash LIVE
Sunday May 21, 2017
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

In the aftermath of WrestleMania, new feuds will arise while old rivalries will continue to wage on. Don't miss Dean Ambrose, Randy Orton, AJ Styles, Bray Wyatt, and all your favorite WWE Superstars. LIVE Sunday May 21st on Sportsnet PPV at 8pm ET. PPV event is $54.99 HD/SD or can be seen through the WWE Network on Rogers Cable which includes all PPV’s and thousands of hours of WWE Content for $12.99/mo. Call 1-888-ROGERS1 to order the WWE Network

2017 VIVO IPL 10
April 5th - May 21st, 2017
Full Details and Schedule

The VIVO IPL is a professional Twenty20 cricket league established by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in 2007. The tournament features eight teams from across India with some of the most exciting and talented cricket players in the world!​ The 2017 season of the Indian Premier League, the VIVO IPL 10, begins its tenth season on April 5th.

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation