Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Creating this thread so we can separate any discussion about alternate methods of connectivity 
(if at all possible still, etc)

- Bridge Mode - is it capable of connecting the boxes to your own modem

- Wired connection

- How to connect these boxes in those methods.

*Edited Labels*

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

I had a thought.

Does the management interface for the new modem have a way of giving you a list of connected devices and their IP? If yes, can you check if the TV boxes are included in that list and whether they were given IPs on the 'normal' internet subnet? (I'd like to hope this is all IPv6 but that's another story)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not positive.. I will have to a little more research.

They DO show as being connected in the settings, to my current regular SSID.

They dont come up as named in the connected devices, so I will have to check the MAC and see if they show up there.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

Not positive.. I will have to a little more research.

They DO show as being connected in the settings, to my current regular SSID.

They dont come up as named in the connected devices, so I will have to check the MAC and see if they show up there.

Is your SSID a Rogers12345-type thing or something unique that you set?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When setting up the modem and Eero, he asked what he should set the SSID to.

And thats what shows up in the settings on the tv box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

When setting up the modem and Eero, he asked what he should set the SSID to.

And thats what shows up in the settings on the tv box.

So that's likely our answer - the TV boxes are using your normal Internet network. 

Assuming that's right, that means

1) wiring the TV boxes up using Ethernet would be absurdly easy,

2) if you bridge, then your network is responsible for the TV traffic as well

3) if you bridge, the TV boxes are inside your firewall

4) if you bridge, you don't need to worry about their wifi network causing interference with yours

... but it also basically means that bridge mode customers are on their own for all TV issues

(oh, and 5) this makes it very easy for, say, an apple TV client app to offer full functionality)

oh, and 6) it would be very difficult to offer metered Internet plans without the TV usage messing with everything

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

6)  Well right now, you HAVE TO have the 500u plan.
But my assumption will be, even when/if that changes.. that it will always be tied to an unlimited plan.  You wouldnt be able to use it with a metered plan.

I am assuming, that the usage for this might show up on the usage report?
I cant really check easily right now, as I think with the conversion over.. my myrogers page is a little screwy, being a 1/2 month one and 1/2 this other... it may be different due to the change.. not sure.

They could be doing something like packet inspection, etc.. checking the header of the TV stuff to not count it.

There ARE concierge/techs who are bridged.. I have talked to them.
But that may have been prior to now, they may have changed some of the firmware..
Big question is.. HOW to connect them to your own afterwards right now..

WIRED I think is pretty guaranteed right now.  If you bridge, then wired.. i think should work fine.
But how to re-connect on the wireless.. is the question.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

6)  Well right now, you HAVE TO have the 500u plan.
But my assumption will be, even when/if that changes.. that it will always be tied to an unlimited plan.  You wouldnt be able to use it with a metered plan.

I am assuming, that the usage for this might show up on the usage report?
I cant really check easily right now, as I think with the conversion over.. my myrogers page is a little screwy, being a 1/2 month one and 1/2 this other... it may be different due to the change.. not sure.

They could be doing something like packet inspection, etc.. checking the header of the TV stuff to not count it.

There ARE concierge/techs who are bridged.. I have talked to them.
But that may have been prior to now, they may have changed some of the firmware..
Big question is.. HOW to connect them to your own afterwards right now..

WIRED I think is pretty guaranteed right now.  If you bridge, then wired.. i think should work fine.
But how to re-connect on the wireless.. is the question.

I suspect the minimum 500u plan might not change for a long time. Shaw still has a minimum 150 requirement on theirs, same as what they had when they launched...

Does the MyRogers page play nicely with the new Comcast billing backend?

I'm a Senior Advisor

A couple of other alternative questions about non-standard configurations.

1. Fax Machines - Fax machines will run fine on current Rogers Home Phone, and standard POTS service from bell.  On most Voip, you can lower the transmission speed to get an appropriate connection. Yes, some of us use Fax still - 5 times in last year for insurance documents, 7 medical documents, documentation to my tax accountant and a few others.

No, fax is not dead and the professional and medical fields still actively provide as an option.

2. Life line connections - Life line works predictably on POTS on their standard services.  It is find with the Rogers current closed carrier phone model in place on the traditional home phone model.  Life line is not recommended to be attached to phone connections that do not have battery backup either like POTS, or like the home phone from Rogers.

It is not recommended that it is used (remember, this is a life and death device for use for people with severe health restrictions who need immediate response, sometimes with no intermediary speech, so addresses have to be accurate, and accesses to live phones are critical.

They do not recommend using on VOIP or no battery backup systems.

Bell has built in battery systems, and it can be managed to dedicate power to phone only during outages or your choice.  Not sure whether Life line devices work on their full FTTH which is not POTS.  But I have read they can easily activate the Pots alongside the FTTH to meet those people needs. - costs unknown.

It doesn't appear that the new Ignite system has its own battery back up, so you would need to research your own options, and it wold support all feature sets, not just your phone which in this example is priority.

It is unknown whether these systems would work on this new model or not, and time will tell and requires additional testing to answer and probably coordination with these companies to come up with a best design model that protects the vulnerable in our society.

Life line does recognize that some systems are not compatable, as do security systems and provide access through voice cellular dialing and communication via SIM card when necessary through their mobile options and security companies also provide cellular solutions too.

I think that at this point, they are testing the basic install and simplest issues, and now with it going public, the broader integration issues related to how we use all our devices within our settings is going to come more into play.  Hopefully they are thinking beyond, glitzy fancy title neat looking features and devices, and looking at the reality that they have now treaded into the the whole full networked home environment, along with its many functions that are ncessary for many different users and configurations.

As mentioned, this goes so much farther than just TV, and it would appear that once you step outside the box, you have no support, so I see a whole tech industry that will be looking at how to provide alternatives to best meet each persons requirements, and to support what Rogers won't do.

I can see that there are going to be compromises that customers are going to have to make in some areas to fully need their current needs.  Time will tell.

For me, I am just an observer - it is all outside my budget, complete overkill, but just an interested observer.

Oh last point, for customers with Bell, they can get standalone IPTV - they just pay more for it - it still comes in on a private Bell controlled Internet, you just don't have access to their Internet, you choose your own, and you don't have access to the integrated Netflix and other over the top services on their devices.

You would need a separate box as you do now.  And no savings on bundles, and full install costs and reduced functionality.

So theoretically you can choose your mix of services, but it will cost.  No idea where once they get out of soft launch where Rogers will take their packages and bundling - that is for future, but theoretically just about anything, but not everything is possible.

Bruce

Bruce

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, after talking to my Concierge this morning he threw out a suggestion for Bridge Mode, he said why don't I try and change the SSID on the Modem to the same as my Home Network then put the modem in bridge mode and see what happens. Here's how it went:

-In my living room I had the TV on, I went into the modems setting 10.0.0.1 and changed the SSID and password to match that of my Google Wifi on both 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz. After I hit save settings on the second band TV playback stopped for a second but then came back on. I went into the setting and it had connected to the "other" network automatically.

-I then went and enabled Bridge Mode, it takes 90 seconds to get into effect and once that was done the TV box gave me an error that it wasn't connected. I unplugged the TV Box and plugged it back in and boom it's connected to my Google Wifi and Modem is in Bridge Mode and the TV works Smiley Surprised

With this now since I have a Google Wifi AP at my demarc I can move the modem there and connect the home phone into the houses phone lines so my alarm will be good again. Just don't know why this has to be such a secret that you can do this.

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 in conversation