TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Phone vs. In Person support (cable)

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile

Phone vs. In Person support (cable)

[ Edited ]

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Rogers was called because one of my digital boxes (Nextbox 3.0 DVR) kept rebooting; originally once a week or so, then started doing it daily.  Rebooting would shut us down for 10 to 15 minutes; mid game or mid recording this is kind of a hassle.

My second box, a 4K Nextbox (no DVR) would 'freeze" while channel surfing and had to be power cycled to unlock.  This would happen at random intervals.  Was living with it but asked them, once a tech was coming, to inspect / repair / replace.

Phone support said it was DEFINITELY a line / connection issue and dispatched a tech.  Same day which was impressive, but that's when things headed downhill.

The tech arrived and said (did not really inspect or check anything) that there was no way it was a line issue, must be the hardware.  BUT, he didn't have a 4K box (said there are none in town and they have been out for "a while".  He did swap the DVR with the same model.

Within 24 hours it had rebooted 2X.  Called back.

Phone support noted that  (direct quote) "There is a known Issue with the 3.0 DVR rebooting itself".  When asked what they would do about it, I was told it would be "escalated".  With respect to the 4K device they ran another remote test and said it was definitely the line.  Asked them to check notes / comments from my call the day before, they had been WIPED OUT by the field tech (the one who said there was no way it was a line issue).

A tech is scheduled for today with (allegedly) new hardware and a mandate to check the lines.  ACTUALLY check them.  This feels like a gerbil on a wheel situation.  Given that the 3.0 box resetting is apparently a known and endemic issue, any suggestions as to what to do?  Bell??

***EDITED LABELS***

Re: Phone vs. In Person support (cable)

[ Edited ]
I'm an Advisor

[ Edited ]

@Alex44:

1. There have been some reports of the 9865 rebooting more than it should. Usually this happens at 2AM, but there have been reports of it happening at other times recently.  Although there are reasons for an occasional reboot, it should not happen every day at hours other than 2AM.

2. These sorts of issues are almost always associated with a poor signal as the CSR noted - or perhaps a problem with the firmware or head end, neither of which would be solved by swapping boxes.  This would also be confirmed if it were happening on two different boxes as is the case in your location.   Here's a previous post of mine regarding signal issues almost always being the cause of these sorts of problems - either inside the home or in your neighbourhood.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

Some technicians really like to swap out boxes, but that's rarely the solution as the problem is almost always something else like a poor signal.  Technicians should swap boxes only as a last resort.

Here's another thread where I discuss issues with the Navigatr firmware that you may find of interest.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

Some people consider the Bell hardware to be more reliable/better than Rogers, but Bell just have a different set of issues.  Bell customer service is considered to be just about the worst out there so I wouldn't go blindly jumping ship.

I've Been Here Awhile

Appreciate your candor and prompt response.  My concerns:

- The "disconnect" between what phone support is saying and what field techs are saying is a little horrifying.  It puts the customer in the position of trying to determine who to believe.  I am assuming most of the field techs are contractors, not Rogers employees, so controlling their message may be a problem.

- If there's a "pipeline" issue what will putting in a 4K TV do?  One of the reasons I waited on resolving the non-pvr box issue was I didn't have 4K but that is in the immediate plans.  As I understand it the signal demands (despite limited programming options at present) will put even MORE strain on the connection and the box.  Are things likely to get WORSE?

- Paying for services undeliverable strikes me as insane.  If the box issue "can't be fixed"; i.e. if I'm destined to live with regular interruptions, surely I have some recourse with Rogers.  It would be my decision to stay (live with it) or go back to evil Bell, but they cannot hold me to a contract or to a contract price if they cannot deliver service as expected?

Resident Expert

Alex44 wrote:

Appreciate your candor and prompt response.  My concerns:

- The "disconnect" between what phone support is saying and what field techs are saying is a little horrifying.  It puts the customer in the position of trying to determine who to believe.  I am assuming most of the field techs are contractors, not Rogers employees, so controlling their message may be a problem.

- If there's a "pipeline" issue what will putting in a 4K TV do?  One of the reasons I waited on resolving the non-pvr box issue was I didn't have 4K but that is in the immediate plans.  As I understand it the signal demands (despite limited programming options at present) will put even MORE strain on the connection and the box.  Are things likely to get WORSE?

- Paying for services undeliverable strikes me as insane.  If the box issue "can't be fixed"; i.e. if I'm destined to live with regular interruptions, surely I have some recourse with Rogers.  It would be my decision to stay (live with it) or go back to evil Bell, but they cannot hold me to a contract or to a contract price if they cannot deliver service as expected?

@Alex44

The techs are contractors, I would advise you to ask them for a Rogers Senior tech, tell phone support you weren't happy with the last contractor, since your issue wasn't resolved, and no line stats were checked. 

If you want 4K service Rogers can deliver, it doesn't put more "stress" on the line, but once a tech is there hopefully he/she will be sure your lines are at the optimal signal level.

Resident Expert

Thats what i have found.. the difference between a GOOD and BAD tech (regardless of contractor or not).

The good ones?  I have found will check the signal levels, even if not directly plugged in, they will do the check they can do from the back end TO  your house,  regardless if they need to or not.

I've Been Here Awhile

Update

And thanks for the responses!

NEW tech came out, actually popped open the diagnostic screens on both my cable cable boxes.

Interesting; the DVR was showing "significant issues" (phone support said it was the other (4K) box that was having issues) with the line / signal.

Immediate response was it needs to be escalated (again) and a senior tech will contact me in a few days as they "may have to do line work further upstream".  Tech suggested the DVR model we have is a temperamental device.

I appreciate honestly but the fact that Rogers is knowingly circulating poor performing CISCO hardware doesn't leave me feeling warm & fuzzy.  Stay tuned.

I'm an Advisor

Alex44 wrote:

I appreciate honestly but the fact that Rogers is knowingly circulating poor performing CISCO hardware doesn't leave me feeling warm & fuzzy. 

There is nothing inherently wrong with the hardware. As I discussed in post 2 of this thread, the issue is almost always related to signal.  This has now been verified by CSRs and by a technician in your case.  I hope that it will be resolved for you soon. The first link in post 2 has information on how you can check the signal yourself if you have issues again.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation