TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

I'm a Trusted Contributor

It's a WD drive made specifically as a PVR extender.  Can't remember the exact model offhand without disconnecting it.

This one I think:  Western Digital My Book DVR Extender

Peter
Toronto

Resident Expert

Hello @pmcsplaza

From what i know and believe that one is fine to work with the 4K PVR box Smiley Happy

Thanks ;-)

Peter
Toronto

Resident Expert

Hello @pmcsplaza

You are welcome Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

[ Edited ]

I forgot to ask, asked before but want to be sure on this score.  The Technicolor box only has a single HDMI output, correct?   No extra one for older audio systems?  Looks like I'm going to have to listen to cable using my 4K BR Player as the link for audio as it will have full 4K HDR/HDCP pass-through HDMI in and out.....when I get it.....

Peter
Toronto

Resident Expert

Hello @pmcsplaza

That is correct. It only has 1 HDMI output. It has 1 HDMI output, your usualy red and white audio out and yellow video out. Also a optical out port as well.

Thanks.  Going to be awkward for me as I can't afford a new sound system a.t.m. so using the new Oppo UDCP-203 BR player I intend to buy next I hope to regain my audio-video control abilities on my Bose system.  The BR player has HDMI in which means it would have to always be on when watching TV, oh well.  Beggars can't be choosers as they say.  (Some beggar...!)

Peter
Toronto

I'm an Advisor

@pmcsplaza:

Be aware that in these early stages of 4K, there are lots of handshake issues between equipment, especially when trying to go "through" another device like you expect to do.  You may not be satisfied with that configuration if the handshake doesn't proceed well and you're constantly rebooting or getting 720P instead of 4K, etc.  Many of these issues have been discussed in the various 4K threads.

You may wish to consider using the optical out port for your audio system instead of trying to go "through" the player.

[ Edited ]

[ Edited ]

It's an older Bose Lifestyle system and does have a TOSlink output from TV input.  I use that mainly for Netflix movies using ther Smart TV menu but I suppose it could be used for other purposes....if  it will work.  I'll have to play around.

I think that sound output only works for stuff sourced by the TV itself.

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted

I'm an Advisor

pmcsplaza wrote:

It's an older Bose Lifestyle system and does have a TOSlink output from TV input.

You mean Bose Input, TV output.  Most recent TVs allow for "passthrough" of incoming signals (say from HDMI), but not all.  You need to configure the TV to output audio signals to an external device instead of using the TV speakers (as you've probably already done if you're using it for Netflix, etc.)  There may be another TV User Audio Setting required for Dolby Digital, instead of PCM.

Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 in conversation