TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Authorizing settop boxes

I'm Here A Lot

The service person called in and now they say the Cisco box had a different SAC code than the one on the account. The person at the Rogers plus store scanned the code in on Thursday and a Rogers CSR confirmed that it was the right SAC on Thusday. The service person said the scanning method is not reliable and it's better to enter the SAC manually. They entered the correct SAC and the box is working now.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert

[ Edited ]

see I was right all a long your box was not authorized.  why did you not confirm the serial number when they re-sent the activation code on the phone? i will never know. 

I'm Here A Lot

The Rogers person in the store scanned the code. The Rogers person on the phone said the code on the box matched the code on the account. Why they lied to me I'll never know.

I've Been Here Awhile

Sometimes rogers system flips the SAC to a previous one on the account by itself....i don't think they lied to you ....

I'm a Reliable Contributor

dolawren wrote:
...they chose was to replace the box with an inferior box.

It would seem that the set top boxes have an inherit problem with authorizing,

For some reason the 3290 box for example keeps failing the authorization process.

The solution that they gave me was to replace my full feature box with a low feature 940 box.

There must be a better solution than replacing full feature boxes with low feature boxes.

I can understand - from a consumers standpoint - how this could be seen as shady and not helpful at all to a customer, taking away, what would appear to be a full featured box, and replacing it with a low end, limited feature box.  However... from a business standpoint, Rogers did NOTHING wrong.  Please let me explain.

Both of these boxes, the 3290, and the 940 (as well as the 3200, and the 1840, and 4290 for that matter) are standard definition boxes.  Rogers doesn't differentiate between these boxes in their system, they are all considered DTV's (regular digital boxes) and can be exchanged/swapped freely using any of the above models, as opposed to attempting to swap in a 4250 which is an HD box, this would fail during the swap process.

Since all of these boxes are considered the same "model" in the Rogers system, technically the customer has no say in which box they receive as they will all give the same service that a customer is paying for.  Now the 3290, and the 4290 are actually de-commissioned HD boxes.  Although de-commissioned, they still allow some channels to come through in HD and have some other features that the other boxes do not - but in essence you were receiving a bonus at no charge, and once you had a problem, Rogers was not obligated to give you another 3290, they ARE obligated to give you the service your paying for, which you will get with a 940, or a 3200, or an 1840.. etc.

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile

[ Edited ]

Just set up a new net on and after going through the boot process it says that it is not authorized for use so I need to call customer service (which I'm on hold with right now). Is there a solution that I can do myself?

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile

[ Edited ]

Sorry it is a next box.

Retired Moderator

Hi @Patrick44,

Welcome to the Community! 

You can authorize your digital box through the IVR system by calling 1-888-764-3771 and following the prompts for authorizing your box. The system will authorize your box but you have to make sure you are calling from the phone number that's on your account. Please let us know if you've already gotten through to someone and the issue has been resolved. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile

[ Edited ]

Rogers Cable Box Problem

We have had a problem where we came home after being on vacation for approximately two weeks and all the boxes gave an error message "Not Authorized Box" type message and we ended up calling to get the boxes  authorized again and all the boxes except for one could be authorized. When you are away should you leave the boxes on or unplug them all?

[ Edited ]
I'm an Advisor

[ Edited ]

@dmpaul007: Originally when I travelled (From 2001 to 2014 with Rogers boxes), I used to unplug my boxes - SA8300HD, and a 4290 to save power.

Often when I came back from holidays I had issues with "----"showing on the front display, meaning you had to reauthorize. I used to do this via phone in re-authorization (press 1), however, on several occasions a few years back, this didn't work.

For the 4290, I had to escalate it to second level after the first CSR said it's a problem with my box (I own all my boxes).  Finally the second level technician sent a "hit" that reactivated my box - it was obviously not broken.

For my SA8300HD, it once took me many reboots to get it working again after coming home.  I now always leave my boxes plugged in and I haven't had a problem in several years. I'm away several times a year. 

I have recently also purchased two 9865s and have no issues, but again, leave them plugged in.  If there is a brief power failure, all the boxes reboot just fine and I have the SA8300HD and one 9865 hooked up to a UPS, so they only need to reboot if the power goes out for over an hour, which is rare for me.

Hope this helps. I really dislike having to leave them plugged in using power, however, it's just too much of a pain when I don't.  I always recommend having the PVRs plugged into a UPS.

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 13 in conversation