cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE & NFC

James
I'm a senior contributor

How does LTE affect the performance of NFC technology? Is there a large difference in the time it'll take to process a transaction when on 3G vs LTE? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: LTE & NFC

RogersJeppe
Product Manager
Product Manager

Great question James!

NFC is really a proximity service similar to Bluetooth, but more secure obviously, so when you make a payment at a retail locationit will not utilize your data connection for the payment. Think of this as having a real plastic card on your phone, but in a digital format.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RogersJeppe
Product Manager
Product Manager

Great question James!

NFC is really a proximity service similar to Bluetooth, but more secure obviously, so when you make a payment at a retail locationit will not utilize your data connection for the payment. Think of this as having a real plastic card on your phone, but in a digital format.

James
I'm a senior contributor

So does that mean NFC will work for those without a data plan if NFC doesn't use an internet connection? 

You will need an active data connection to get the card on to the mobile device, but once its there you can use it at a retail location without utilizing the mobile data conenction.

So essentially you have 2 stages to getting an active service

1. Download the card from your bank

2. Start using the card at your local store

Does this clarify?

J

James
I'm a senior contributor

Thank you, it does clarify.

I am still a bit confused though as to how, without an active internet connection, NFC communicates with a bank to verify available funds prior to authorizing the transaction. Could you help me understand that?

The retailer will need to have their own internect connection to process the transaction, but it will not rely on the mobile device.

When you use the mobile phone at a retail location, the Point of Sale (POS) terminal, which is where you insert or swipe your credit cards and debit cards today, will securely grab the data and use the internet connection that the retailer have in place already today. Keep asking me more Q's if it helps clarify!

J

EnIXmA
I've been around
So the NFC enabled sim would work on the lte network too? I know you need a seperate nano sim for lte, but Would this NFC sim work for NFC and late both.
Also, would the simply tap app work with an unlocked android device running jelly bean and supports NFC.

Thnx

RogersAlicia
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

The scope of support for unlocked devices is limited, so we cannot comment on compatibility with the app. However, as for the NFC enabled sim, yes it would work on the LTE network as well 🙂

RogersAlicia

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation