cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching PayGo plans

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

For years now I've been buying the basic $100/year plan where I pay for all calls and texts and those charges have more than doubled. Recently I was inundated by a load of texts from Facebook and I had to change my settings to put a stop to them, but they depleted my balance. I see the there are 2 other PayGo plans for $100/year, one with free texts and the other with free evening and weekend calls. I presume "unlimited" means "free", so please enlighten me if I'm wrong. I'm interested in the unlimited texts plan.

So here are my questions:

1. If I sign up for the unlimited text plan here, will my current PayGo balance roll over into it?

2. Currently if I have accumulated a balance over $100 after 2 or 3 years, I can use $100 of the balance to renew for another year if I call in and ask for that. Can I do the same with the $100/year unlimited text plan?

3. Are there any catches to these two new $100 plans?  It's hard to believe they offer free stuff that the basic $100 plan doesn't.

4. I see the 2 plans are "promotions",  even though I've seen them for some time. How long will these promotions last? If I sign up for one and it can't be renewed after a year, will I be able to keep my balance when I revert back to the basic plan?

****Edit Labels****

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Switching PayGo plans

RogersMaude

Good afternoon @OLDYELLR!

Thanks for your post. 

I can definitely help answer some of your PayGo inquiries.

If you currently have a balance of over $100 and you wish to take advantage of one of the two promotional plans, you can contact our Prepaid department to request your price plan change but deduct the cost of the plan from your current balance. Please note that this is often done but not standard procedures.

You normally need to top up (even a minimal amount), in order to extend your expiry date for a year.

Therefore, if they decline this transaction,you can notify us and we will attempt to resolve it on our end.

The plans are either 1-year Canadian text messaging or 1-year local evening and weekend calling for just $100 (taxes extra). There is also an additional 9-1-1 government fee which may apply. 

If you sign up for one of these two plans, you can renew it after a year even if the plan is expired, since it already is on your account. Please note that the plan is still subject to some changes. If the airtime rate increases, for example, you will be notified.

In the instance where you change to a basic monthly plan, then change your mind and request to be put back on a $100 yearly plan, you will have to go with what is available at that time. We do not know when these promotional plans will expire yet, but they have been available for quite some time, indeed.

There is no "catch" with these plans. It is important that you know that if you go over the 100 minutes of talktime included in the package, you need to top-up to use all other available pay-per-use services.

The current rates are:

• $0.50/minute for additional anytime local calls
  • $0.50/minute for Canadian and US long distance calls

Let us know if you have anymore questions Smiley Wink

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

RogersMaude

Good afternoon @OLDYELLR!

Thanks for your post. 

I can definitely help answer some of your PayGo inquiries.

If you currently have a balance of over $100 and you wish to take advantage of one of the two promotional plans, you can contact our Prepaid department to request your price plan change but deduct the cost of the plan from your current balance. Please note that this is often done but not standard procedures.

You normally need to top up (even a minimal amount), in order to extend your expiry date for a year.

Therefore, if they decline this transaction,you can notify us and we will attempt to resolve it on our end.

The plans are either 1-year Canadian text messaging or 1-year local evening and weekend calling for just $100 (taxes extra). There is also an additional 9-1-1 government fee which may apply. 

If you sign up for one of these two plans, you can renew it after a year even if the plan is expired, since it already is on your account. Please note that the plan is still subject to some changes. If the airtime rate increases, for example, you will be notified.

In the instance where you change to a basic monthly plan, then change your mind and request to be put back on a $100 yearly plan, you will have to go with what is available at that time. We do not know when these promotional plans will expire yet, but they have been available for quite some time, indeed.

There is no "catch" with these plans. It is important that you know that if you go over the 100 minutes of talktime included in the package, you need to top-up to use all other available pay-per-use services.

The current rates are:

• $0.50/minute for additional anytime local calls
  • $0.50/minute for Canadian and US long distance calls

Let us know if you have anymore questions Smiley Wink

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

My current plan expires next February, but I'll have to renew sooner because my balance is down to about $18. If I now sign up for one of the above mentioned $100 plans, will my current balance roll over and get added to the $100? Will it be added if I sign up on line, or do I need to call the PayGo number?

Hello again @OLDYELLR,

Yes indeed!

Whatever amount is remaining from your current balance will rollover.

You can do it either online or over the phone.

I will give you an example: If you top-up $100 in order to renew for 12 months and your $18 current balance is carried over, you will have a balance of $118. When you will request the $100 promotional plan, an amount of $100 (plus applicable taxes) will be deducted from your current balance, as well as the 9-11 fees. Whatever is left can be used for long distances or any other additional usage.

RogersMaude

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Okay, the reason I asked is that when I use the $100 unlimited text plan link, it's as if I'm signing up for the first time and I don't see an option for signing up to swich from one PayGo plan to another. Instead of going through all the rigmarole of entering serial numbers, SIM numbers and my location, wouldn't it be simpler to make the switch by calling the PayGo number and talking to a human?

Yes, it definitely would @OLDYELLR !

You can reach them at 1-800-575-9090.  To reach a representative choose option 4, then option 4 again (how to contact Rogers).  At the end of the information on how to contact us, you will select option 1 to speak with an a agent.

RogersMaude

I've been here awhile

change monthly plan in mid billing period

I paid for 15$/monthly plan on April 13, then I changed to 30$/monthly plan today, will I get a partical refund for the previous plan? 

I've been here awhile

Thank you very much for your reply. I was charged a full amount of 15 dollars for my previous monthly plan and didn't get a partial refund after I switched to 30 dollar plan. Will I need to Rogers agent to get a refund?

Hello, 

@323132 wrote:
Thank you very much for your reply. I was charged a full amount of 15 dollars for my previous monthly plan and didn't get a partial refund after I switched to 30 dollar plan. Will I need to Rogers agent to get a refund?

You're most welcome. My previous explanation about prorated billing is true for postpaid accounts. Do you have a prepaid or Pay As You Go account?

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I've been here awhile

Pay As You Go account. Does it mean there won't be a refund in this case ? 

Hello, @323132

Thank you for confirming your account type. The Pay As You Go accounts works a little different than postpaid accounts. I suggest reaching out to our Pay As You Go department to get the accurate information regarding your query. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@323132 .... please let us know what the answer is to your query  .  I asked why there are so few staff paygo responses here and was informed that this is basically a customer to customer forum and that Rogers staff are not going to go out of their way to answer paygo questions so please share with the rest of us what you find out regarding the mid month plan switch  .  

Thank you ahead of time for sharing .  

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

PayGo is not a big money maker, so gets little mainstram support.  For assistance you can reach PayGo at 1-800-575-9090. To reach a representative choose option 4, then option 4 again (how to contact Rogers). At the end of the information on how to contact Rogers, you will select option 1 to speak with an a agent.

barndoor

Sure it's not a big money maker ... but I expect it is a starting point for many people ... and if you get poor service  with paygo  why would you ever upgrade to a post paid plan . 

And really ...I have called in to get answers for fellow posters  here just so I would know the answer as well ...  and I don't get PAID to be here  ... Smiley LOL

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Whether it is a money maker, if that is their attitude, it is short sighted.  It is an entry point for many, it can lead eventually to other plans, puchase of phones, and taking on other services.  They way they are treated will determine whether they want to consider other service options of the whole range, and poor customer service is not going to encourage that.

It may be true, but shortsighted and disrespectful of a group of customers - and lets not forget word of mouth advertising.

I moved my services up after pay as you go, and going back soon, as I no longer need full plans anymore.  Do they want me as a customer or not is what I say.

bruce

BS
I'm a senior advisor

And as a final note - in the forums, it has a section in wireless for pay as you go.

If no expert is going to take responsibility for that area, or at least a mod, then why include it.

If you put it there, support it - yes, it is customer to customer, but mods do add information from Rogers as it comes, and experts support the area.

Do it or don't do it, make a decision, but don't use the explanation that it is peer to peer, very few customers, go to the pay as you go number etc, if you are going to maintain this section on the forums.

Bruce

I've been here awhile

Hi, we need to talk to an agent by calling 18005759090, 4-4-1. I got a refund for my previous plan. Regards. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:

Sure it's not a big money maker ... but I expect it is a starting point for many people ... and if you get poor service  with paygo  why would you ever upgrade to a post paid plan . 

And really ...I have called in to get answers for fellow posters  here just so I would know the answer as well ...  and I don't get PAID to be here  ... Smiley LOL

It was a starting point for me, before there were smart phones. And I still use it with a very basic smart phone.  There are mods here who understand PayGo.  But PayGo has also branched off into various more expensive hybrid plans where you aren't able to keep track of your usage lime the basic plan.

barndoor

Does tracking your usage not depend on how much you use it?

Even the basic plan doesn't keep track of the  usage for you does it ...other than to record the last 20 transactions or so .  Doesn"t it  just keeps track of that limited number  of transactions whether it takes you a week or a month to do that many transactions ? 

So the prepaid data addon plans won't keep a running total of how much you have used ?

barndoor

Just to clarify  ... ! went and counted and it seems to be 60 lines of type  ...so 30 texts in and out  and you are off the page  and I don't see anywhere where you can review that information  once it is off the page ...is there an option for that some where ?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:

Does tracking your usage not depend on how much you use it?

Even the basic plan doesn't keep track of the  usage for you does it ...other than to record the last 20 transactions or so .  Doesn"t it  just keeps track of that limited number  of transactions whether it takes you a week or a month to do that many transactions ? 

So the prepaid data addon plans won't keep a running total of how much you have used ?

I have the basic PayGo with no add-ons or bells and whistles. If I receive a text with a picture attached I don't see it and it doesn't even give me a URL for it like it used to before I had a smart phone. I have to turn data on and then get charged for getting the picture.

It does look like my PayGo transaction history goes back a couple of months or 20 transactions, whichever is the lesser. So if you want to keep records you have to copy and save it to a text file before it exceeds that buffer.

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 in conversation