cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating From Old Android to iPhone

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I've had this LG  E-410B Android phone on my grandfathered Talk Anytime plan for about 10 years and just turn it on and take it with me when I leave the house. It's long in the tooth, out of space and my personal email no longer works. I've been given a discarded iPhone 8 by a family member who used to be on Rogers and would like to switch. As I understand it, one just has to put the original SIM in the iPhone and all contacts and compatible apps would appear on the iPhone. However, the SIM cards are totally different and the Android one would not fit the iPhone holder. Can a Rogers Store clone my old Android SIM to a smaller iPhone compatible one and is there a charge?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Migrating From Old Android to iPhone

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Apple has also developed utilities to help customers migrate data from their old Android phones to a new iPhone: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201196

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR :  There are different types of SIM, as outlined in the link below:

https://www.simbase.com/blog/guide-to-sim-factors

If you go to a Rogers store, they may be able to “trim/cut” your old SIM card and put it in the new phone.  However, this is not usually recommended since SIMs can be different thicknesses as well as different “sizes”.  The iPhone 8 probably requires a Nano-SIM

Rogers should be able to issue you a new SIM at a store and they may charge you a small fee – say $10 for this service.  I am not sure if your contacts, etc would "migrate" to the new phone in this manner...  I'm also not sure if anything would "transfer" easily since you're migrating from Android to iPhone.  A cell phone expert may be able to comment on that, or a web-search may be useful in that regard.  I would not be surprised if you were unable to transfer anything from the (very old) Android to the Apple iPhone.

Please call the store before going, get the person’s name if they say they can do it and make sure you take photo ID to the store with you.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Apple has also developed utilities to help customers migrate data from their old Android phones to a new iPhone: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201196

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Thanks @57, I think what @-G- suggested looks like what I need to do, although a lot more complicated. I'll contact the Rogers store Monday to see what they have to say.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- : Thanks for that link. A word of caution. Although the link makes things look pretty seamless, it may not function quite so easily, especially with very old devices. For example, a couple of years ago I purchased a new iPad Air and tried to use this method (side-by-side) placement to transfer between iPads, but my previous iPad Air was "so old" (I believe it was 6 at the time) that it was "not recognized".  What I ended up doing was a backup from the old iPad to either the cloud or my computer and then transferring what I could to the new iPad (photos, contacts). 

A lot of these transfers assume that your device is only 2-3 years old, not 11 years old like the LG and 7 years old like the iPhone 8.  I would be very surprised if it worked with this old equipment.

While my original iPad Air, now almost 10 years old, is still in use for Stingray streaming on my AVR, I would not expect it to function for much else.  I applaud people for making electronics last for a long time, but sometimes this can cause difficulties when migrating or updating.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR To help with the data migration, you can also book an appointment with the Genius Bar at an Apple store.

Erase and reset your iPhone , set up your Apple ID, and get familiar with your iPhone.  You can also install the Apple Support app and use that to schedule your Genius Bar appointment.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I caller the Roger Store this morning and was told my contacts and apps would not be on the old Android SIM anyway. But they can give me a new iPhone SIM with my account I can put in the iPhone 8 and start from scratch.  I think that's what I'll do because many of those contacts are out of date and I have them elsewhere and I doubt if many of the old Android apps would migrate anyway. The pictures on the old phone I have elsewhere anyway. It's not like my whole life is on the phone, like some people. It's just a phone.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation