cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New unlocked phones for VoLTE

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

So I understand for LTE the unlocked phone needs to support the Rogers LTE Frequencies, which I have. But is there any other requirements when it comes to VoLTE? Is as long as the phone supports the LTE bands, and VoLTE it will work, or is there some other "magic"?

Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

28 REPLIES 28

Re: New unlocked phones for VoLTE

Hi @bottleb,

Thanks for updating the rest of the Community, any chance you'd like to give the Rogers One Number service a try? You can use Rogers One Number to make and receive voice calls over a Wi-Fi connection. So long as you're connected through Wi-Fi, you can make unlimited Canada-wide long-distance phone calls or text messages from anywhere in the world. You can use RON on your mobile phone, computer or a tablet and switch devices mid-conversation. 

How to sign up for Rogers One Number. Download the Rogers One Number smartphone or tablet app from Google Play. Or, from your desktop computer or laptop, go to rogersonenumber.ca to register your Rogers wireless number. Click here to Learn More.

Hope this helps,

RogersArthur

kufelt
I've been around

Rogers....

I had Note 7 on which VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling and Video calling worked fine. Managed to get it replaced with S7 Edge directly at Samsung store and of course these features do not work on S7 Edge even though it was debased immediately by Rogers customization.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@kufelt 

@kufelt wrote:

Rogers....

I had Note 7 on which VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling and Video calling worked fine. Managed to get it replaced with S7 Edge directly at Samsung store and of course these features do not work on S7 Edge even though it was debased immediately by Rogers customization.

Bell and Telus also only let those features work on devices purchased through the carrier.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @kufelt

Thats because the device was purchased / exchanged at the Samsung store rather the Rogers store. All devices that are either unlocked or unbranded by a Canadian carrier won't get specific things. The only ones that will are the iPhones due to the agreement by Apple and all the carriers.

Unfortunately all carriers including Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin and Freedom Mobile do this.

Sharkeh
I've been around

Z30 Blackberry is benefitting from this type of technology - It's really amazing - It works with other Rogers clients

gundall
I've been here awhile
This is absolutely TERRIBLE, and should not be acceptable by any means. PLEASE start a complain with the CRTC. I have recently done this for just the fact that the IMS services (WiFi calling, video calling and VoLTE calling) are all restricted based on device origin, and it was accepted by the CRTC as a complain that falls under their scope. Much like locking phones it violates the code for fair use policy and unnecessarily restricts an individual from choosing a new WSP

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@gundall  I am glad to hear that you had success with CRTC taking on your concern - I don't use the features on my plan, so have not been in a position to make a direct concern on my own experience to them, but have suggested that the CRTC would consider this within the flavour of the code as you say: violates the code for fair use policy and unnecessarily restricts an individual from choosing a new WSP.  This is for them to evaluate, but in my humble opinion, this is going to come up as a true restriction once they can no longer lock phones.

My only concern is that they will then start to charge to turn the service on phones, calling it a service add-on, or an activation fee when it is not their branded phone.  Then the CRTC will reassess again.

But without question in my mind, this will come into play (and yes all the providers are doing it, but it will just take one to decided not to), but they will want to recover the lost millions per year that have been charged for locking phones and really are resistant to making it easy for us to choose our phones and move our services without influence by the CRTC.

But maybe the industry will surprise me. Half full person that I am.

Let us know how it goes.

Bruce

gundall
I've been here awhile

@BS Bruce they eventually gave me a rogers manager to talk to, who offered to swap the phone for a rogers branded one. I refused of course because my international model was much better.

I continued with the complaint.

In the end, the CRTC ruled that it could not force rogers to provide these services which in my opinion is still in violation of the code. The origin of the device should have no bearing on what rogers will allow or not allow.

I can prove, and have proven that all unbranded devices (where the branded version works with VoLTE) can and DO work on rogers network, you just need to fool the system by adding a branded phone then swapping your sim card. You will have access to all VoLTE and IMS services for about 20-30 mins before the system detects that you are no longer on a branded device and boots you off the IMS enhances services. That in itself should be enough to decimate their claims of not supporting it ("It won't work right, we cant possibly test every device") <- load of poo it works. they just do not want to give you it, and they prefer to sell their branded phones, I mean why not. 

we need to make CRTC complaints in the masses. 

Topic Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 in conversation