Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Aren't routers and modems all firmware anyway? And if that was the problem, all browsers and operating system types would have the issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

lynA wrote:

The router that I replaced was an old D-Link one... the firmware was old and couldn't be updated.  So, I figured that I needed a new one anyway.  My modem is an old one from Rogers that is only a modem.... I know now-a-days they give people the ones that are combo router/modem, but this one is really old and is just a modem.  I would call Rogers and get a new one, but A) that would involve speaking to Rogers again about this issue and they don't care, B) they will probably make me pay for this new fancy modem, either monthly or buying outright, and C) if it comes to that, I will just call some other company and stop paying Rogers thousands of dollars a year for internet, cable, home phone, and wireless.

No more re-directs since switching my DNS to Google, but I notice the ads on the main Yahoo page are now targeted to me, sites I have visited, hotels, etc.  No prob.

Lyn yes until the spring I had a Rogers modem-only too, skinny little thing that stood upright, forget the brand.  When I agreed to a new contract with the Internet 15 plan etc they gave me this Hilton combo modem/router for no extra charge or payments, and kept my bundle rate the same as before to keep me.  You might not have to pay to upgrade your modem.  But since your Rogers box is a modem only, it can't be hacked, and since you wiped the hard drive and OS, and changed your own router, and still got hacked, does that not prove the hack is in the Rogers system?  Somehow the hack is targeting our IP addresses, as the Rogers tech said, they just don't care to fix it.

I'm away the first week of July, might to be here for updates.

I'm Here A Lot

I think the problem only occurs in a Rogers Yahoo Mail window, not any other web site, so does that not make it likely that its Yahoo Mail that's been hacked? In Firefox I clicked on the little i icon to the left of the URL address, and clicked through to a comprehensive permissions page with multiple tabs (security, media etc). Then denied permissions for anything related to the specific web sites where these "surveys" are coming from, so far so good, but I know these sites are easy to change a name.

I'm a Senior Advisor

fredbloggs wrote:

I think the problem only occurs in a Rogers Yahoo Mail window, not any other web site, so does that not make it likely that its Yahoo Mail that's been hacked?

As I mentioned earlier, for me it did not happen in Webmail, but I got highjacked on the Yahoo Canada website.  Since I no longer visit the Yahoo Canada website, I don't get hijacked any more. 

I don't use Webmail much when I'm at home, but I have been on it lately several times, just to test and check on any mail that may have ended up in my spam folder there.

I Plan to Stick Around

99% of the time, the redirect is from Rogers mail.  However, back when I was having the problem many times a day, it did it twice from other sites (one was the New York Times and one was a Mac help forum of some kind).  Now, I may have gone to Rogers mail before I went to the other site... so I guess it could have still come from rogers mail somehow.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I don't think it is solely an e mail problem. I don't use either Rogers or yahoo e mail and I still occasionally get the annoying survey pop-up.
I Plan to Stick Around

Fred thx for the tip about the (i) Show Site Info beside the main Yahoo URL, didn't know about that.  So I went there and started shutting down the options, and the hacks started immediately ... the fake survey, the fake PC Windows Keeper repair, and a new 247 VIDS supposedly competing with Netflix.  The hacks kept going after shutting down the options.  I think the hack site URL was Promotion Brand.

Here's something interesting, I have an old XP computer in the basement running off a wireless dongle, and I can surf on it, do email, any sites, and never get the hacks.

Jay, interesting you're not on Rogers or Yahoo email and still get hacked, what sites had the hack?

I'm Here A Lot

Same thing happened to me again, so this time I called Rogers support, they were excellent! I must have some additional service level as part of my Rogers combo package. I watched while the tech took control of my computer. Turns out this is malware/adware, and I saw them being uncovered and deleted. They even had a Yahoo name on some of them.  I saw which tools were used for this and they are all public domain anyway. Use "Adw Cleaner" (owned by Malwarebytes and its a free download) and do the scan. This will clean up the malware. Next thing is to stop it happening again, install Adblock Plus as an ad blocker for Firefox, and also for MS IE, again free downloads specific to each browser. Also remove any suspicious cookies. So far so good, and its been a few hours.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't trust AdBlock Plus.  If you look under their permissions... you are basically giving them permission to access all your personal data... including passwords.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/security/a16741/browser-extension-security/

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Bob7 wrote:

Jay, interesting you're not on Rogers or Yahoo email and still get hacked, what sites had the hack?

Maybe I worded it poorly.  I don't use Rogers e-mail or Yahoo e-mail.  I was on the Yahoo.ca main page when the latest survey pop ups occurred.

As an added bonus, today the pop-up has audio.  A cheerful voice telling me how I have been chosen to do the survey.  I closed my browser before the cheerful voice had a chance to leave more detail.

Topic Stats