cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyRogers - Support for Windows Vista, IE9

rwoods
I've been here awhile

Does Rogers offer Support for Windows Vista, IE9?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: MyRogers - Support for Windows Vista, IE9

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @rwoods,

Welcome to Rogers Forum!

Support for the browser is limited to connectivity, meaning we use it to test your access to the internet. With that said, we support IE 6.0 and up, Safari 2.0 and up, along with Windows Edge.

Hope that answers your question :).

Cheers,

RogersCilio

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @rwoods,

Welcome to Rogers Forum!

Support for the browser is limited to connectivity, meaning we use it to test your access to the internet. With that said, we support IE 6.0 and up, Safari 2.0 and up, along with Windows Edge.

Hope that answers your question :).

Cheers,

RogersCilio

rwoods
I've been here awhile

Hello Cikio;

At this moment IE9 does not work for myrogers.

After experimenting with Firefox and Chrome, they no longer work.

I now use Opera and so far so good.

Is that ok? Should I try Safari in case Opera fails?

I have been using Opera with my Outlook email since IE9 does not work properly.

I am unable to obtain the full version of Outlook. Can you help with that? Or should I continue with Opera?

Also are you able to give support with My Windows Vista Home Premium?

Thank you.

Richard 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

My own experience with MyRogers is that is can be finicky and unstable on any browser out there.  It has been that way since 2 years ago when they redesigned it for HTML5  

If you search other threads on MyRogers, you will find frequent reports of it not logging in, or reporting not accessible - recently in lost my password (nothing done on my side to make it happen), so we changed it.

And I find it odd @RogersCilio that Rogers would not support Firefox and Chrome - Chrome has the largest share of the market. It does represent 61.2% of the market, safari is next and with Microsoft Edge now in the mix, IE11 and Edge are now third, with Firefox running last.

I would hope that Rogers would support troubleshooting Chrome access to MyRogers since it is the top browser out there.  I don't even use safari or MS browsers, but then again, as I said, MyRogers has no shortage of stability issues in general, no matter what you access it from.

Bruce

rwoods
I've been here awhile

Thank you for your response.

I gather from your reply, I should live with what I have for MyRogers namely Opera.

Since there does not appear there is any support for any browser and MyRogers, How about support with Windows Vista? This includes Rogers in general as well.

As a point of interest, I have found that Myrogers is unstable at best. Also, I find all changes made are never for the better.

If they are aware of the problem, why not fix it or return to the previous version?

Thank you.

Richard

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rwoods wrote:
How about support with Windows Vista?

Windows Vista is an operating system.  You can use any number of browsers under that OS.

What @BS was saying is that there are occasional glitches with almost any browser.  I use FireFox and have no issues 99% of the time, although occasionally there are issues. I also use Safari occasionally.  Almost any website can have occasional issues with browsers as the browser or the website is updated and incompatibilities surface.  You should always have at least two browsers available to you on your computer in case you have issues with one, you can switch to the other.

The Rogers website can be a source of frustration at times, as many of us have mentioned here, but it does work most of the time. 

At some point in time you may need to upgrade your operating system so that the browsers that can be loaded are compatible with newer websites.  This is true of any OS/browser. Things do not stay constant with computers as software, websites and computers are constantly developing and older computers become "obsolete".

Vista was developed over 10 years ago and product support has stopped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Yes, Windows Vista went out of its support life cycle on April 11, 2017.  IE 8, 9, 10 ended support as individual browsers in January 2016, but an installed version was in support until last month.

Unfortunately, like Windows XP and any product, they reach an end of life eventually.

Good luck in deciding upon your new OS and browser - it is not recommended to keep using the product anymore, because no security updates will be coming to the product and it will gradually become a security risk over time.

And @57  you are right, best to keep two browsers at least in place.  and I would also agree with the reality that Rogers tends to support the Microsoft current browser, and the Mac browser.  Historically, they have run into problems with Firefox and Chrome.  For me, I have never even opened Edge and have absolutely no interest in it.

I think the reason I often have problems with MyRogers is that I am a total night owl, so I probably get caught in updates to accounts (if like most companies, they will run update scripts for things like the daily Internet usage summaries which are not live, the production of your bill which takes days from the end of the cycle to finally fun and be pushed out to the site and so forth).  It is unfortunate, that they do not take an approach like most financial instutions and other major corporations and define their update windows (like not available generally between 2 and 5), or we will be down for Saturday evening from 8pm until Sunday 6 am.

This is not a practice that Rogers has generally undertaken which would remove considerable support calls and complaints (if it happens enough that people are aware of it -even 1% of the time - good maintenance practices for advising users is to communicate common and planned update, upgrade times).

Another example of where they don't do this announcement is that there was a 30 minute plus update to Navigatr last night, it was planned for and known to tech support, because when I called in, they new exactly what I was dealing with.

So in summary, Rogers is selective in the browsers it supports, Chrome's security levels put huge demands on corporations to keep up, and unfortunately, you are now in a position where you have to upgrade.

Search life cycle for any software or operating system and you can see the support cycle.

Bruce

Bruce

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@RogersCilio

Just a clarification - there is no way Rogers can be providing support for IE 6 and up - only IE 11 and edge are supported by Microsoft anymore, so if they are still supporting IE 6 and up, they really should not be.

There are many places on Rogers specifications pages where they are totally out of date - example, their security software specifications page states they still support Windows XP which has been out of support by Microsoft for over a year now.  Rogers really needs to stay up to date on the industry.  I could give a lot of examples where I have found them out of date, but do suggest that they review all those specification documents for software and web applications.

And for all of us when answering these questions about products, thanks @57 for catching the end of life for Vista, we all need to take the time and not just check what Rogers claims to support, but check the companies that provide things like security protocols, product versions and so forth to confirm whether they are even in support.  For example, IE 6 has been out of support since 2011 and was one of the most security risky browsers ever put out by Microsoft - it is part of what led to Chrome taking over as it took them 5 years to decommission it after it was hoped to replace it with IE 7 in 2006.  It was part of Windows XP.

So, glad this question came up, because it is a reminder to all of us to check the status of software before answering the support question - just because Rogers may say they support something on their pages, doesn't mean they aren't out of date, or that that anybody should even be using the software anymore.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned in posts 6, 7 of this thread, you don't really want to hang onto an older OS for too long, unless you "WannaCry".  😉

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@57 wrote:

As mentioned in posts 6, 7 of this thread, you don't really want to hang onto an older OS for too long, unless you "WannaCry".  😉

Great points, I always try to be on the latest operating system and have everything up to date. The security fixes are very important, and being on outdated software/operating systems is too risky these days. 

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation