cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home monitoring camera

bashorund
I'm here a lot

Hello
I just installed the home monitoring system and having issues with camera. When I select it on key pad it's takes too long to show up. It's buffering for like five mins. When I select on my phone I get message calculating route to camera. The technician but an extender but still having problems. Any suggestion pls? The camera not working is a deal breaker

***Edited Labels***

76 REPLIES 76

Re: Home monitoring camera

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bashbound

How far is the router they give u for the smart home monitoring from the actual router u have it hooked up to. Also did you call Rogers Smart Home Monitoring tech support to see if they could fix it on their end?

That would be my guess.  My camera currently is at pretty much the oposite side of the house.. so FAR from the signal source.. and can take a good 30 seconds to connect somtimes.

The closer to the signal the better.

May be something you need to get a tech out to re-work/organize things so it gets a better signal.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Gdkitty

That is correct. My camera buffers only for 2-3 seconds and it works. Also one thing I want to add. Do not leave the camera app open on the touchpad. This can affect the camera buffering times and it can take a longer time for the camera to register.

I got a Canary Camera and to be honest I am liking it more due to it having audio and 1080p with full wide range live streaming.

I have the latest rogers camera.  The 1080p indoor one.
Its a pretty clear picture.
No audio though.  

Really the big advantage is the chaing of events (like take video after an un arm event, etc)

Yes thanks for your feedback. Rogers came back and relocated the extender in the garage. So its closer to camera and also used hard wire. Still its very flaky. Fraustrating to say the list. I will give it till end of buyers remorse, before i consider going to ADT.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bashbound

No camera will be true live. Even my Canary Camera has a few seconds difference. Every single security system and camera setup will have few second lag. My ADT at my parents have the same issue.

The only difference i see with Rogers one is the little extender aka modem which u need to have near the camera to work well which in my mind that shouldn't be like that.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Gdkitty

Weird I have the iCamera2 and i was told that this one is 720P. My Canary Camera shows better imagining on 1080P.

EDIT. Checked again and there is no new camera from Rogers which does 1080p. It's only 720p which is the iCamera2. Checked the manufacturer as well and it's 720p only.

Sorry, you are correct.. its 720p.
Not sure where i thought i read 1080.

Though, it is pretty darn clear though.

Really i guess all depends on WHERE you have it, etc.
At a WIDER distance. (further back in a room, etc to get a LARGER area.. 1080p will give you the higher rez at the further distance.

Vs like where i plan to finally put mine (need to drill a hole to run the wire) in the front hall, your looking at a 5ft distance, you dont really need that much more.

(i am looking to get one for the OUTSIDE to point at the driveway.. that is one place i may want 1080p.)

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Gdkitty

It is pretty clear but still has many pixels on it as a 720p compared to my 1080P Canary Camera. Either way it's still great. I got the 64GB memory card and works well with recording.

The outside one is great but not paying $200 for it. It should be in a package included I find better. Either eay

I havent noticed any major pixels on mine.. 
Mind you not often viewing FULL screen on the PC or anything either.. mostly from the pad or my phone.
For what its worth, it works well 🙂
A full weeks recording it more than ample enough for me with the 64g card 🙂

What worries me, yeah, is that the outdoor one is not a sealed unit.  It says its weatherproof.. but.. still make me very leary.

Likely will look 3rd party for a different one for outdoors.  
Trick is, i need to find one with the right recording capabilties..
That either:
A) records to a local card, etc in the camera which can be then connected to and viewed

B) can be set to record to a local network store (i have a server on 24/7)
I dont want to get one that requires for its storage to be cloud stored.. often they require a monthly fee.. or that only does LIVE.  (and want to avoid getting a WHOLE system with sperate dvr box)

thanks

yes i called rogers yesterday and he did something at thier end but it did not work so we switched off hte extender and started it and it worked.

My concern is that there is always something everyday i have to call about..  

the extender was placed in the garage so its closer to camera but its far from router. My router or moden is on hte main floor , so i am even suprised as to why i need an extender. 

also another point is rogers upgraded using protectron requipment i think, can that be aproblem ? this is really fraustrating. I had thought the product should not be flakey since its been around for years now 

ooh htanks for your feedback.

are they different types of camera provided. I have a black small square. what do you mean by audio? ? as in you can hear the recording ? 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bashorund

Honestly it seems the system needs a overhaul and needs some improvments on the camera and overall system as well. It shouldn't be flaky and it shouldn't require the camera to be so close to the router it self. I know its due to the internet and such but that's no excuse.

I don't think that is the problem to be honest but it might.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bashorund

I have a Canary Camera which records 1080P feed and records audio. This does not come with Rogers. You have to buy the camera on ur own and use it with its own app. It doesn't work with Rogers Smart Home Monitoring. So u have its own app and does eveything for u that way.

The camera that is provided by Rogers is a iCamera2 which is only 720P and does not record audio. Apparently Rogers is in the works for a 1080P version but not coming out until later date.

Yes i also have the little black squared one in my foyer and the canary camera in my living room.

yes i agree.  dont know whehter i should relocate router upstairs to second floor. that way its even closer to camera.  i guess i should ask for them to send their A technician 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bashorund

Ask them to send their best tech and have them see where they can place the router in a better place for the camera. Again don't leave the camera on, on the touchpad as that it self will cause alot of buffering and problems but the router move it around.

Hopefully in the next wave of updates and new product's they don't need the router to be near the camera

oh i see. So you have this canary camera and also the rogers home monitoring. I had though of getting one of the camera at best buy/costco, , but installation is costing like 1700! and also it wont be montiored. so if there is any problem i have to pay for technician to come look at it. 

okay thank you for your good feedback 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bashorund

The Canary camera does include monitoring but at a additional cost just like Rogers has their plans. Also they have a very different setting then Rogers does. So its all together different.

The install fees are $149 per camera at Best Buy. Depends on how many cameras and what not. I can see if they can give a good deal as i work there lol.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bashorund

You are welcome!! 🙂
Topic Stats