Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Smart Auto

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just got an add about this on my phone.

(link on the front page of the rogers site now too)
http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/smart-drive?icid=ba-hphb1con-hrcwrls-010117118

Many vehicles now you can get 'smart' connected.. where they have wifi built in (that you have to pay for the internet connection, etc.. commercials dont always tell you that :P), and some other features.

This seems to be a similar type thing.. sort of something that you could add to ANY vehicle which doesnt by default have it built in.

*Edited Labels*

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Rogers Smart Auto

RogersTony

Hello @Gdkitty,

Thank you for raising awareness about this great new feature. Being able to get Wi-Fi from your car is super convenient especially on long road trips. Check out the Blog post for more info!

We appreciate all of your contributions to the Rogers Community Forums. 🙂

If anyone in the Community has purchased one already or is planning to we'd love to hear about your experience.

Regards,

RogersTony 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hey guys!

I was looking into this for my father actually! He likes the idea of having it into his 2009 GMC Acadia so I might be heading to Rogers later on to get it tonight! We shall see!

Great little device that gives you information and also internet 6

I have never really had the draw for the wifi in the car..

A) most of the time, will have mine or my wifes phone there.. so have a cellular connection anyways.
B) Even for others who may not fully... say for connecting kids tablets, etc..  they say to entertain your kids with netflix, etc while on the road, etc.... this all uses DATA.  You will eat through data quickly.. and can easily go over unless you have a REALLY high data plan.

But overall, i do like the other features.  
With some of the monitoring stuff on it... this would actually be GREAT to put in your kids (old enough to drive now) to see how they are doing, etc.
I wonder, if you could turn the wifi on it OFF?  Obviously would have to still add to your share everything.. and pay the monthly fee.. but just as a monitoring/stats device?

ldurland
I've been around

I just picked it up yesterday. I have 15 days to take it back if I don't like it. my take so far..

- easy setup

- nice trip report functionality if you are into that (with export functionality although I just tried exporting and it said it was successful but I haven't received any email yet going on 10 min)

- plenty of notifications (would be ideal for monitoring kids driving)

- the best notification is when the vehicle starts moving (yes a nice security feature if it ever gets stolen)

- there is a bump notification but it didn't go off when I tried opening the locked door. will try kicking tires and see what it takes to get that notification

-wifi in car.. undecided about it. don't really need others eating into my data plan.

only complaint right now is I wish it had more functionality related to the ODB. there is a tonne of info the ODB port can provide that isn't available. It would be very useful to have more options and hopefully this is included in an update. battery and issues are the only two I see so far. max rpm is available in trip report is the other I notice.

verdict- too soon to tell. will give it another week and see.

Bill___
I plan to stick around

Yes, you can turn the wi fi hot spot off on it....but the device will still use some data related to the functionality of the device.  

It is a nice setup, but when you go in Saskatchewan off the Rogers towers and onto the SaskTel towers, this device stops working and your phones go to 3G.  Apparently Rogers does not have an LTE agreement with SaskTel yet but also apparently this is being worked on.

railcarbandit
I've been here awhile

just wondering what the range of the wifi is outside of the car. is is 100 feet? anyone have answers? thank you kindly

Hi @railcarbandit,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forum Robot wink!

My colleagues and I were wondering the same thing and since @RogersTony has the service, we conducted a lil experiment. We turned on his Smart Auto, connected to his WiFi and walked away from his car until the bars degraded. 

This is not the most accurate form of measurement, but on my iPhone 6, I was able to maintain a connection about 100 paces away from his car and still run a few apps. Based off our experiment, I'd say the range is up to 100 feet.

Hope this helps! Have a good long weekend :).

RogersCilio

I can’t thank you enough for the test! I think it would be great for a picknic etc. And this info also tipped my decision into buying one of these devices! Thank you again

qweqw
I've been around

How to change Rogers smart drive iPhone APP login password?

Hello @qweqw,

Welcome to the Community!

I apologize for the delay in response, have you tried the Forget Password option within the Rogers Smart Drive App? For inquiries related to the Rogers Smart Drive I would also recommend you to reach out to our dedicated team of Rogers Smart Drive agents at 1-844-896-5223 every day from 7 AM to 12 AM ET.

RogersZia

GaylePort
I've been here awhile

Can’t get it to work

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @GaylePort

Have you contacted Rogers and spoken to them about this? Contact Rogers by calling then or @CommunityHelps and see what they can do to help!

GaylePort
I've been here awhile

I purchased a smart drive in Dec. I have been on many phone calls to service. I have been sent a new drive a new SIM and it still won’t work. It is supposed to be compatible with my car but could that be a prob?? You should provide somewhere I can go to help me outside!! Stores and customer service very uneducated. I’m going to try one more time!!!

telios
I plan to stick around

Hotspot adapter for car's ODB II jack.

Hi.

I am interested in getting that ODB II Wifi adapter that Rogers offers for only $15.00

a month. I could really use it. I am trying to find out what the data speeds are, but I

can't find anything on Rogers site.

Any one kow more about it, or using it?

Thanks.

Hello @telios,

I've heard good things so far! Data speeds are the same as your typical cellular data. For more information please visit this page.

RogersZia

what happened to Smart Drive?

Is Smart Drive still a service Rogers offers?

Bill___
I plan to stick around

I"m told it is discontinued, so if you have it, fine, but I don't believe they sell it any longer.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Telus still sells it if it is something you are interested.  There are also other services, I understand that do the same.

Guess they treaded into a market well held by the car industry at this point - why duplicate what is available on most vehicles since almost 10 years ago.  And the auto industry rates for cell phone service, integrated right into their device and service is typically at a fairly good rate.

Bruce

rterhune
I've been here awhile

I called Rogers dedicated Smart Drive Team.   Got someone who did not know anything about this device.

Does any one know what this message means?

"Your OBD-II device on your vehicle Car X has received a message."    Today I have gotten about 70 of these messages.

thanks

Roger.....

@rterhune having any trouble with your car?  If the smart device was built to receive, or at least acknowledge onboard faults which are signalled over the OBD-II connector, then it would make sense that the device is trying to tell you that there is an indicated fault.  You would need an OBD-II reader to see the fault code, or, ask your car dealership service staff to check for any faults indicated by the OBD-II port.

Topic Stats