Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Internet and FastMile Streaming

off-grid
I've been here awhile

Hi folks - 

3 questions: 

- Does the Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway have an ethernet port on it? I assume so but wanted to check beforehand. 

- Is it possible to stream TV to my Chromecast (or whatever device) at 3Mbps? That seems slow but possible. Does anybody have any real world experience? 

- I have another 5G router (example: Sierra Wireless router) and might prefer to use it instead of Nokia. Has anybody used another non-Roger device yet? 

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Home Internet and FastMile Streaming

RogersJermaine

Hi @off-grid,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums, and we do thank you for your inquiry.

- Does the Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway have an ethernet port on it? I assume so but wanted to check beforehand.

There are two Gigabit Ethernet LAN connectors on the backside of the Nokia FastMile 5G Gateway 3.2.

- Is it possible to stream TV to my Chromecast (or whatever device) at 3Mbps? That seems slow but possible. Does anybody have any real world experience?

You can stream any standard-definition or up to 720p high-definition program at 3 Mbps with an acceptable set-up time and basic video clarity. You can find out more information on how much speed is required for various activities here. I have tagged a few community members that have posted in the past about the Nokia Fastmile service; hopefully they can chime in with their experience with it. @cata2ca@SHEEB, and @gareth01

- I have another 5G router (example: Sierra Wireless router) and might prefer to use it instead of Nokia. Has anybody used another non-Roger device yet?

While bridge mode is not supported by the modem, you can find some additional information or workarounds in this thread here.

I hope this information helps!

RogersJermaine

off-grid
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply, sorry I have 1 more question as I am reading conflicting comments on this. 

Question #4 - so if I stay under the 500GB/month threshold, can I stream video (ex: ignitetv, other streaming services) at the normal speeds and not be throttled at 3Mbps on the downlink?

Thanks in advance

Hi @off-grid,

When streaming, you will have download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, good for videos up to 720p HD whether you exceed the data or not. 

Regards

RogersJermaine

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation