problems with 2.4G

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: problems with 2.4G

Hi there, I did as you said and it seemed to have no effect. There was however no option to set the channel bandwidth for 2.4 G. Other Network seems to pop up at the bottom at the bottom of the connections list, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, as guest connection is off.

I've also just found out a game console in the house is unable to connect now to the 2.4 G as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Drivindan, are a you a new customer with Rogers by any chance?  Just curious.  Can you have a look at the back of the modem for the product sticker. It should read CGN3xxxxx if you have one of the black vertical Hitron modems.  There is an older CGN2 thats been around for a long time and probably still in use, and there is the newer white CODA-4582.  I'm just trying to figure out why you don't have the 2.4 Ghz bandwidth setting.  I think there was a firmware version for the CGN3ROG that didn't have the bandwidth setting, but I believe that modem has been updated since then.  

Can you also log into the modem and determine what firmware version is loaded.  It will probably be shown as the Software Version. 

What you can do is call tech support and ask the CSR to set the 2.4 Ghz channel bandwidth to 20 Mhz.  That will result in a lower bandwidth but should also result in a higher signal level by preventing the modem from using the 40 Mhz bandwidth.  

The 2.4 Ghz settings tab should look very close to this, depending on what modem and what firmware version is loaded:

20_WIRELESS_Basic Settings 2.4G.png

Edit:  what you can also do is load Acrylic onto a laptop.  That is a wifi monitoring program that will allow you to check out your wifi environment and see who you're competing with in the 2.4 Ghz band.  Load that program and then go for a slow walk around your home.  It will usually take a couple of minutes for the display to settle out when you move to a new location.  Have a look at the receive power levels of your network in comparison to the other power levels from your neighbours wifi modems and routers.  The reason that I was asking if you were a new customer is that the Hitron modems have never had a good reputation for wifi coverage throughout the home.  For anyone who absolutely lives on wifi my usual recommendation is to run the modem in Bridge mode and run your own router which will provide better control over the various router features and provide better wifi coverage throughout the home.  

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/

The home version can be used freely used.

Fwiw, in my neighbourhood there are at least 35 to 40 2.4 Ghz networks that we can see on a router or laptop.  I've pretty well abandoned the 2.4 Ghz band and moved every mobile device to the 5 Ghz band where I fight with my immediate neighbours for channel space.  Everything else is wired, eliminating the wifi problem.  When you look at the Acrylic display, it should be pretty evident as to what the current state of affairs is for your 2.4 Ghz environment.

I'm Here A Lot

We were grandfathered in from shaw. The old modem was from them I believe so this router we just got is one of the newer ones, it's a CGN3 model. The firmware version of this modem is 4.5.8.27.

I talked to support on the phone today, and they weren't able to fix it either, but I don't think they updated the firmware. They seemed confused as to why setting security to open would let it connect to the internet but nothing else would. I did mentioned how banged up the modem they gave us is so they think there may be something wrong with it and they're sending me a new one. I'll keep you updated if this new one works when it arrives.

I'm Here A Lot

So we got another modem, it's a CGNM, and the same problem still exists. Can connect with open security, but not secured. There's still no bandwidth option as well for 2.4g

Hello, @Drivindan

Thank you for posting the update. Now that the modem has been swapped, the issue could be more likely related to the wireless adapter on the laptop. I have experienced in some cases the devices can't connect with higher encryption. For testing purpose, can you try connecting with WPA-PSK/TKIP mode and update the Community?

If you need any assistance with the WiFi network configuration, please send us a private message @CommunityHelps

Cheers,

The CommunityHelps Team

RogersMoin

I'm Here A Lot

Hi there I just tried that and oddly enough it worked. I hadn't before as I understand those are considered outdated security. It's odd because the 5G is using AES encryption. The network card is a Dell Wireless 1550 802.11ac.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Drivindan have you disabled bluetooth on the laptop so that it doesn't interfere with the wifi?

Laptop wifi drivers up to date?

Have you experimented with older drivers just to determine if Dell screwed up the current driver version? 

Edit:  That 1550 wifi card looks slightly dated.  Looking at the cnet specs, the page indicates support for Vista / XP / 7 / 8.  What windows version are you running on the laptop?

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-wireless-1550-network-adapter/specs/

I'm Here A Lot

I'm running Windows 7 Pro on a Dell Precision M4800. I believe it was one of the last ones to come with windows 7 or optional windows 10. I did update the laptop drivers, but I believe there are newer ones for windows 10 only.

What's New
Topic Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 in conversation