problems with 2.4G

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: problems with 2.4G

Sometimes that type of occurrence can happen, and all it takes is to change a setting, and then back again, as if the device isn't running on the setting that is indicated.  But for now, it looks like you have managed to solve it.  Are you able to connect your other devices now?

I'm Here A Lot

yes

all the devices are going

I've Been Around

No 2.4G and 5G doesnt show on laptop

So it appears that my 2.4G isn't working and I don't know how to get it going again. I've already reset my router (Ignite Router) and it still doesn't work. And, the 5G doesn't show up as an option on my laptop but works on my phone. Any suggestions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hwarford are you switching from another modem or router to the Hitron modem?  When you say that you reset the router, was that a factory reset?

Try this.  Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application.  When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop.  I'm assuming here that you have ethernet connectivity or an ethernet to USB adapter that you can use to that you have internet access with the laptop.  With inSSIDer running, you should be able to detect the presence or absence of your wifi networks.  If you have a CGN3ACSMR as indicated by the product sticker on the back of the modem, and firmware version 4.5.8.21, or .22 loaded, as seen on the STATUS page when you log into the modem, you have had to run the the modem's Easy Connect setup.  When that Setup is complete, you should see both 2.4 and 5 Ghz Wifi LEDs illuminated on the front of the modem.  At that point you should be able to see both wifi networks running on a dual band laptop.  So, if thats the case, that the wifi networks can be detected by the laptop but you don't have internet access via wifi, I would delete any existing wifi network profiles from the laptop and then reconnect the laptop to the modem.  The reconnect would re-establish the profiles.  The google link below should have the necessary link for your operating system version.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=delete+windows+network+profiles&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gf...

The program link below is for the last freebie version.  It doesn't display the 802.11ac networks in use in the 5 Ghz band.  There is a newer licenced version out now that will handle 802.11ac networks, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop.  The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band.  If you use 5 Ghz networks, its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the 5 Ghz networks that are in use.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks.  Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel.  So, while your network should be the tallest on the display, everything else should be well below yours.  The scale on the display has 0 dBmW at the top, and it then descends from there.  When the power level separation between networks decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network.  Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition.  By looking at that display you might conclude that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless and that its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band, if you can.  If you have devices already running in the 5 Ghz band, change your operating channel to 149 or higher.  If you can switch to any of those channels, do so, as the output power for those channels is higher, resulting in better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates. 

I've Been Around

where do i go to use wireless mode

Hello, @Dark_Reaper67

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Would you please elaborate your question so that we can better assist you? Like the device, you are trying to use the WiFi etc.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm Here A Lot

Just to let people know- I have been having trouble with my 2.4 Mhz. WIFI signal.  The 5 Mhz. signal stays on but can't reach my laptop! I replaced the router but to no avail! However, when I turned OFF the 5 Mhz. signal, lo and behold my 2.4 Mhz signal came back and is holding. Obviously either I have had 2 bad routers or the router cannot handle both bands. Any comments?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@rchalmers0527  It's entirely possible that your laptop may not have a WiFi card that is capable of using the 5Ghz band from your router. This is why your laptop connects to the 2.4G band by b/c your WiFi card only supports 2.4. 

Fyi, Routers can easily hold both 2.4G and 5G bands. It's not the router that is the problem, it is likely your computer as it not capable to using the 5G band from your router. 

If you would like to connect your laptop to the 5G band, you will need to buy a USB WiFi Adapter in which you can just plug into your laptop. I'm entirely sure which adapters are good, but if you are interested you can give @Datalink a shout for some help.

I'm Here A Lot

I have just seen a response. Yes my laptop and my tablet are both dual band compliant. So now what!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@rchalmers0527 I have re-read your post again you are saying that the 5G band cannot reach your laptop.

This is simply because the 2.4 band has a longer range than the 5G band- this is why your laptop is connected to 2.4, despite the 5G LED being shown as on . You will need to move your laptop closer to the router in order to connect to the 5G band. 

To make things clear, are you talking about the rogers provided modem or is the modem connected in bridge mode to a router?

What's New
Topic Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 in conversation