cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

roofed
I plan to stick around

So For the Past Few Days I have Noticed Youtube Is not watchable i did some testing and nothing points to my connection having a problem this all points to youtube/rogers CDN servers failing as some "Stream Host" seem to be working but almost all of them dont. This problem is on browsers as for trying this on mobile android youtube app 720p60 seems to hold a stable 13mbps while on pc 1080p60 seems to start @ 50000kbps to a min 1000kbps. My internet speed is fine line quality is good while doing the test i had twitch.tv streams running on source no drops nothing in bandwidth flow same for downloading tested on multiple browsers Firefox| Chrome

Below is a gif showing what happens Notice how the "stream host" changes and bandwidth begins to drop

https://gfycat.com/GrimyGiddyKagu

***Edited Labels***

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

quantum
I've been here awhile

Why has this thread been marked as solved if not a single person complaining in here has had this issue resolved?

test6666
I plan to stick around
I asked the admins to remove solved but no reply.!

Yeah, I use Roku so can't use proxy. I tried to route traffic through VPN, but VPN not too fast for 4k!

Its very frustrating.

futurelgcy
I plan to stick around

This is way past unacceptable, overbearing and i know for a 100 percent it's rogers fault. I currently have a different provider concurrently as well with one twentieth the advertised speed and it works perfect meanwhile rogers gigabit can even move. What a shame and disappointment to customers like myself. What am i really paying for?

Good morning Community!

While I don't have an official update that I can share right now, I can say that we have been working on this issue this week and will be reaching out to affected users for further testing and feedback shortly.

We're all YouTube users here too so we know how frustrating buffering can get. Please bear with us, we're working on it!

Regards,

RogersCorey

xuelide
I plan to stick around
OMG! for almost 3month FINALLY an "official" response for this problem.
At least we know that Rogers knows this problem now.
Hope there will be some progress next week.

thank you

xuelide
I plan to stick around

two weeks passed  ,onthing has been improved yet... 

still, open the video with 20+Mbps and drop to 4-9Mbps consistently

I did not expect Rogers can get me back to the old day which provided 100 - 200M 

but can the speed at least stay at what it begins?

Hello, Community

We are looking for the feedback from the Community as we heard the good news of the solution been applied to fix the issue. We appreciate your quick response. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Tagging those who have reported the issue recently: @xuelide, @test6666, @quantum, @futurelgcy, @awais22, @Amdfantoronto, @stepy2015, @beaudoinj, @forcefed, @lianwyc, @coolspot, @alloverthemapMG, @Tyrann@SVNTI

Tyrann
I've been here awhile
When was this “fix” applied?

futurelgcy
I plan to stick around

Not seeing any changes in the 4k streaming. Still buffers.

xuelide
I plan to stick around
I did not reply right away because I want to make some test and see if the problem has been fixed.
And the result is no, the problem does not even have a little bit of improvement.
what kind of solution had Rogers applied to fix the issue I wonder?

test6666
I plan to stick around
Unfortunately the issue is still there. I even tried it early morning when it's not prime time. Buffer runs out and I see speed goes 5 to 10mb/s max when I enable stats for nerds on YouTube.

Still same issue.

Thanks,

Hello, @futurelgcy, @xuelide, @test6666.

Thank you for your diligence and the feedback. Please see below an earlier post from @RogersSergio; would you please capture the info listed and PM us at @CommunityHelps? The info will be helpful in isolating the issue and applying a permanent fix. 

@RogersSergio wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I know a number of you have raised issues with YouTube performance and I have been asked if it would be possible to get your help to gather more information to share with Google in order to understand what is happening and get it resolved.

For anyone experiencing these issues that is willing to help out... Can you please provide us the following info. This would help us to dig down the issue in more detail:

* URL of the page with the problem

* Description of the problem

- Does the video load?

- Does the video stop playing?

- Do you see an error message?

* Screenshot of the error message

* Name and version of the browser and operating system

* Time and date of the problem, with timezone

* IP range that reports the problem

* Results of http://redirector.googlevideo.com/report_mapping

* Right click the YouTube player, select Copy Debug Info and paste the results

To help us more, please capture a web session that shows the problem:

1. Start Google Chrome
  2. Open a new Incognito window
  3. Click the Chrome menu (3 bars), and select More Tools, Developer Tools
  4. Select the Network tab
  5. Play the video until you see the problem
  6. Right click the bottom half of the Network panel, and select Save as HAR with Content
  7. Zip and send the file to us

If you know how to use tcpdump or wireshark, you can capture all the network packets of the web session:

- DNS (port 53)

- HTTP (port 80)

- HTTPS (port 443)

IMPORTANT: A packet capture may include network traffic outside of the web session, including your private information. Please do not send this capture to us, unless you understand the technical and privacy implications of revealing your network traffic to a 3rd party.

Please do not post any captures on the public forum; send me a private message instead.

In the mean time we are continuing to work with Google.

Thanks,

RogersSergio

Cheers,

RogersMoin

test6666
I plan to stick around
Hi,

I am using a roku or built in YouTube on smart tv. So I am not sure how to get debug info. However, here are some answers.

Url to test:

https://youtu.be/RK1K2bCg4J8

Make sure you force YouTube to play in 4k since it will roll back to 1080 due to speed problems.

The video plays, no error message. But it pauses every few seconds as it buffers. We turn on stats for nerds and u can see connection speed is 5 to 10 megs and buffer runs out. 4k streams usually run 30 to 50megs.

My roku is ruku model 4630x roku premier plus, version 8.1.0.

This happened today Aug 1 at 6:30am and 7:20pm.

There is no error to show. Video stops then goes every few seconds.
Thanks,

Hello, @test6666.

I appreciate providing some of the details. Did you notice any improvements with 1080p videos on Youtube? Are you able to stream 4K videos from any other app on your Roku? I suggest to send us a PM so that we can submit a ticket for tracking purpose. 

@futurelgcy@xuelide - We are looking for more examples and details so that we can expedite the solution for you. 

@Community - anybody experiencing issues with YouTube streaming if can collect the info per Message 117 and PM us would be very helpful. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

xuelide
I plan to stick around
It feels good that you keep following this issue.
I am capturing packets using Wireshark.
I will reply the result tomorrow.
thank you

test6666
I plan to stick around

I beleive 1080P is ok, I never really tested it cause once 4K fails, youtube will fail back to HD and works fine. It's 4K content that fails, at least a lot of 4K content once you force it to stay 4K.

I will PM you now if you want more info.

soupy
I plan to stick around

For me, all 4K content eventually fails and 1440@60 is useless as well.  My connection speed starts off fast enough, sometimes hitting over 200,000 Kbps, but it eventually slows down under 10,000 Kbps and my buffer runs out.

So, is this is Rogers' CDN being overloaded, or what?  If you guys can't fix it, at least tell us how to bypass it since the old cache server bypass trick doesn't seem to be working. I have this in Iptables on my Asuswrt router with no success.

-A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
-A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

xuelide
I plan to stick around

Force to not use ROGERS CDN will not help.

If you want to test it, you can simply use the URL keyword filter to restrict all URL with "gvbxgn ".

It will stop your internet to connect to any ROGERS CDN.

You can do it from your own router or the official Rogers's modem CODA-4582U.

futurelgcy
I plan to stick around

I've been suffering from this issue for months and it is 100% Roger's fault. I've tried different company with less than  1/10th the gigabit  plan from rogers and it streams smooth no issue at all. Plug back in rogers then everything goes south. Such a shame and mystery that rogers cannot handle a simple 4k video from youtube even on a gigabit plan. UNACCEPTABLE AND FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!! @soupy  @xuelide

Just to note, Rogers users also have similar problems with the Microsoft and Sony CDNs as well.  

soupy
I plan to stick around

@xuelide wrote:

Force to not use ROGERS CDN will not help.

If you want to test it, you can simply use the URL keyword filter to restrict all URL with "gvbxgn ".

It will stop your internet to connect to any ROGERS CDN.

You can do it from your own router or the official Rogers's modem CODA-4582U.

Thank you for that suggestion.  I have blocked gvbxgn in my router's URL filter, and then tt1e7nel, and had better luck with t1e7nee (10 minutes 2160@30 before buffering.)   I'll block a dozen or so to try and find a good one before giving up. I have discovered if you block more than two, it just cycles between them.

Is Rogers throttling YouTube traffic, then?  Maybe a VPN would work.