cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

roofed
I plan to stick around

So For the Past Few Days I have Noticed Youtube Is not watchable i did some testing and nothing points to my connection having a problem this all points to youtube/rogers CDN servers failing as some "Stream Host" seem to be working but almost all of them dont. This problem is on browsers as for trying this on mobile android youtube app 720p60 seems to hold a stable 13mbps while on pc 1080p60 seems to start @ 50000kbps to a min 1000kbps. My internet speed is fine line quality is good while doing the test i had twitch.tv streams running on source no drops nothing in bandwidth flow same for downloading tested on multiple browsers Firefox| Chrome

Below is a gif showing what happens Notice how the "stream host" changes and bandwidth begins to drop

https://gfycat.com/GrimyGiddyKagu

***Edited Labels***

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

speedtest

for me it is dial up look at my stats for nerds 2425 kbps = 2.425 Mbps

any other website is better than YouTube on my internet

stats.png

lianwyc
I've been here awhile

Also on gigabit here. Speed tests and torrents are giving me 800+.

I have been trouble streaming 240p videos on YouTube lately. 240p. I imagine this is also being experienced by others. 

Hello Community,

I can understand how frustrating this issue must be for all of those that are affected. I use YouTube often myself so I really do feel your pain.

We have escalated this issue to @RogersSergio, he is currently investigating what could be the possible cause of this issue so we can get it resolved. Once we have an update from RogersSergio we will update the Community with our findings.

We greatly appreciate all of your patience while dealing with this issue.

RogersTony

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

For now I blocked the Rogers CDN it seems to help a lot giving me 68 mbps per second. but I would like this issue to be permanently fixed 

lianwyc
I've been here awhile

What's the IP address for that?

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

You have to block a whole range of ip addresses to do this open cmd as admin and type:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=”YouTubeTweak” dir=in action=block remoteip=173.194.55.0/24,206.111.0.0/16 enable=yes

I also blocked it on my pfSense router using these two rules:

2018-04-22 14_00_21-Firewall_ Rules_ Floating .png

on DD-WRT I believe you can somehow do this too with iptables:

sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j BLOCK

sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j BLOCK

Make sure after doing this to reboot your computer, router and modem to be sure the changes take effect 

awais22
I plan to stick around

I tried this, restarted the computer, but it still seems like Youtube is buffering...

This has been going on for the past month now, very annoying.

awais22
I plan to stick around

ROGERS PLEASE TAKE NOTICE!! 

This is not acceptable at all. I am not able to watch Youtube on my 1gbit internet, this is not acceptable!!

When I use a VPN, Youtube works perfectly and as soon as I close VPN, the YouTube buffering starts again for videos at 1080p.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP AS IT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR THE PAST 1 MONTH!!

lianwyc
I've been here awhile

I called Rogers on Saturday and explained that it was a network issue on their end. The agent insisted it was my modem that was the culprit despite me explaining that I can download at around 930-950 Mb/s just fine.

Fine, I got my modem swapped and the issue isn't resolved (duh).

Any really pointless suggestions Rogers reps would like to make until the actual root cause is identified and the issue resolved?

coolspot
I plan to stick around

@stepy2015wrote:

You have to block a whole range of ip addresses to do this open cmd as admin and type:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=”YouTubeTweak” dir=in action=block remoteip=173.194.55.0/24,206.111.0.0/16 enable=yes

I also blocked it on my pfSense router using these two rules:

2018-04-22 14_00_21-Firewall_ Rules_ Floating .png

on DD-WRT I believe you can somehow do this too with iptables:

sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j BLOCK

sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j BLOCK

Make sure after doing this to reboot your computer, router and modem to be sure the changes take effect 

This seems to work ... but in pfSense I chose "reject" vs. "block" so that the packets are active dropped - that way the browser won't be waiting around for the connection to time out.

alloverthemapMG
I plan to stick around

This is not a viable solution as the modem that Rogers provides you do not have this option in the firewall settings.

I have my own router but I shouldn't have to go and flash other firmware to get this to work.  It is unacceptable and pure nonsense. 

Rogers has to own up to it.  

forcefed
I plan to stick around

fly

test6666
I plan to stick around
Hi, blocking the IP subnets didn't fully work for me. It didn't work for my Roku for example. I am sure it's a very reliable fix.

So yes, agreed. Hoping rogers will get back to us after they said they escilated.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

It doesn't always work. But using a high speed VPN does. but that is not the greatest solution either as you may not be able to connect every device. Rogers really needs to fix this or give us an update on what they are doing. @RogersSergio are you working on a fix?

awais22
I plan to stick around

It is buffering too much today...

Rogers fix this!

Tyrann
I've been here awhile

I decided to check if anyone else was experiencing this and it looks like there is....I am on gigabit internet from rogers and for the past month or two Youtube/netflix has been horrible.  It struggles to stream 1080p and of course 4k videos.  I don't understand why as my download speed are fine using torrent or downloading games through steam/bnet but streaming video seems to have an issue....even netflix takes a bit to start streaming higher quality.  I've reset my modem and have direct ethernet connections to my pc and tv......It was fine last year from what i remember.......why did the gigabit internet start performing so bad for streaming?  I live in Richmond Hill area fyi. Please fix this.

SVNTI
I've been here awhile

"Gigabit" Internet and I still can't even watch YouTube videos in peace.

I appreciate all the work that goes into the firmware updates but are there any updates to help with stability?

I've given up hope on Wi-Fi speeds anywhere near the gigabit range. I think it's unfair that realistically the only way to achieve anywhere near that is to setup a better router to pick up the CODA's slack.

Pls send help.

test6666
I plan to stick around
@RogersSergio, please send us a quick update.

Thanks,

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

@CommunityHelps do you have an update on this issue?

What are the steps you have taken to resolve the issue?

awais22
I plan to stick around
When will this be fixed? Paying for 1gig internet and cant even watch YouTube.

Hey Community,

I apologize for the delay in the responses. We've reached out to our support teams and they are still investigating the issue. We will update everyone once we receive further updates. If anyone else is experiencing similar symptoms, please let us know so we can take in more of the Community's feedback.

RogersRoland