Wifi extender for hitron coda-4582

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Wifi extender for hitron coda-4582

@gizman the 4582s WPS button is the bottom button on the front of the modem.  From the Hitron CODA-4x8x Users guide comes the following:

Press this button to begin the WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) Push-Button Configuration (PBC) procedure. Press the PBC button on your wireless clients in the coverage area within two minutes to enable them to join the wireless network.

The WPS LED displays WiFi Protected Setup connection status as follows:

1. Bi-color, blinking: the WPS connection is processing.

2. Green, steady: the WPS connection has been successful.

3. Red, steady: the WPS connection has failed, or an error has occurred.

4. Off: WPS is not active.

See WPS on page 86 for more information

Here's the link to a pdf user manual:

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/21f126b6721648ae910ae0af1328e9ff/Hitron_CODA-4582.pdf

I've Been Here Awhile

It’s the white (only) button on the front of the modem.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the info.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your help. I am now conected.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron Network WiFi Extender 2x2, MoCA 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet Black HT-EMN2

Hello,

I have the Hitron Coda 4582 modem with gigabit speed package. I just purchased four of these extenders that i found on ebay. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Does anyone, especially the OPs, know how well they will work with the Hitron Coda router?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@traghipp, I don't have any experience with these, but, looking at the data sheet, it would appear that you can connect to these extenders thru any of three methods:

1.  Ethernet;

2.  MoCA;

3.  Wifi

Here's a link to a quick start guide:

https://fccid.io/U4P-HTEMN2/User-Manual/Users-Manual-2673067

The one word of caution here is that if you want to run these via coax and use MoCA, you will need a MoCA filter installed on your main cable that comes in from the street or utility pole, and you will need a MoCA 2.0 splitter to replace your existing splitter.  That will ensure that the port to port frequency response will allow communications between the modem and extenders.  

So, this will look like:

Main cable ---->  Moca Point of Entry Filter  ---->  MoCA 2.0 Splitter Port 1  ---->  house RG-6  ---->  Modem

MoCA 2.0 Splitter Port 2  ---->  Extender

MoCA 2.0 Splitter Port 3  ---->  Extender

MoCA 2.0 Splitter Port 4  ---->  Extender

MoCA 2.0 Splitter Port 5  ---->  Extender

The MoCA Point of Entry Filter looks like this:

https://www.antronix.com/products/filters.aspx

That filter will ensure that your MoCA network stays inside your home and that the MoCA signals don't interfere with anyone else in the neighbourhood.  Same on the reverse side, it will protect your MoCA network from any outside MoCA networks.

The MoCA splitters are manufactured by Holland Electronics and other manufacturers:

http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/catalog.php?product_id=catv-moca-splitter

These are MoCA 2.0 splitters which will match the CODA-4582's and extender's MoCA 2.0 frequency range.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Datalink. This may be a silly question but wil I need to turn moca on on the coda? Thanks again
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No such thing as a silly question when it comes to this kind of stuff Smiley Happy  Yes, you will have to turn on the modems's MoCA function if you want internet access thru any of the extenders.  You should also ensure that you run the MoCA network with encryption.  There is a passphrase of some type that you usually can enter when the network is set up.  Don't remember if that's all numerals, or if its mixed character, alphabetical and numerals.  

Now, having said that you have to enable the MoCA function, say for the sake of the argument you had structured wiring installed in your home, which usually consists of two RG-6 cables for satellite or cable tv, one Cat5e for ethernet and one Cat-3 (maybe Cat-5e) for telephones.  You could in theory use one RG-6 cable set for satellite or cable tv/internet puposes, and use the second set of RG-6 cables for an internal network.  In that case the internal network never connects to the outside world and you wouldn't enable the modem's MoCA function.  You wouldn't need the MoCA POE filter either as the two systems don't cross over.  You would still need the MoCA splitter as you're better off running the higher MoCA frequency bands which also provide a greater bandwidth and therefore greater data rate.  Those RG-6 cables in the structured wiring bundle usually come with one having a black external cover and one with a white external cover, so, its easy to set up two distinct cable systems within the home. 

One thing to note, the CODA-4582 is locked to the Delta - High band for MoCA operations.  If you look at page 6 and 7 of the following MoCA 2.0 spec, you can see the various frequency bands.  The 4582 uses the D-High band for MoCA ops due to the possible use of the Whole Home PVR feature with the Nextbox receivers which uses the D-Low band.  That results in a somewhat limited user D-High bandwidth and forces the end user to recognize the frequency response issue which arises with standard splitters, hence, the requirement for a MoCA 2.0 qualified splitter to run that D-High band.  Without that frequency response, you would see low data rates thru the system.  If you were running the extenders on an internal network only, then you wouldn't have to worry about the Whole Home Pvr and you could then set the extenders to use the entire D band if that selection was available in the extender's frequency selection menu.  

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/specification/MoCA_2.0_and_2.5_Device_RF_Characteristics-160808d.pd...

So, hopefully this is making some sense.  Two things to be concerned about are the encryption settings for the MoCA network and the frequency range that can be used, which will depend on the physical configuration of the cable network and the spitter.  If you only had one set of RG-6 cables in the home, you could still run an internal network, just depends on what cables are required for the modem and nextbox's and which cables might be free for use in an internal cable network.  

http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/ht-emn2/

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm currently subscribed to Rogers whole home pvr so I'm already outfitted with a MOCA filter. However, would you recommend I swap it out for the one you've suggested? Thanks again for your help
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@traghipp it depends on what you have installed.  As far as I know, Antronix only makes two amplifiers that are MoCA 2.0 qualified with a built in MoCA filter.  Those are the MVRAM502B and MVRAM902B amplifiers, both of which support port to port frequencies up to the 1675 Mhz limit for MoCA 2.0.   The CODA-4582 is MoCA 2.0 qualifed, so those amps would match the frequency ranges of the 4582 MoCA transmit and receive.  Anything else on their web site doesn't mention any support for MoCA 2.0 from what I've seen.

So, the question is, do you have either one of those amps or do you have a MoCA filter followed by a splitter.  If you do have one of those amps, then you're set to go.  Note that the other amps that are MoCA qualified only support MoCA 1.0  From the MoCA specs, that allows for a Single or Bonded-Pair Channel.  The MoCa 2.0 spec allows for a D-Low band, transition band, and then a D-High band which supports bonded channels.  So, looking at the specs, if you have one of the other Antronix amps which have a yellow face on them and which indicate MoCA qualified, those are MoCA 1.0 amps which should support a single D-High channel.  It should work, but you won't get the maximum performance out of the network.  

If you have the MoCA filter followed by a splitter, then the filter is fine and you would have to replace the splitter.  That is predicated on the absolute lack of information on the Antronix website.  Perhaps there is a secret portion of the spec that isn't shown, but, I doubt it.  The MoCa splitter section of the site has been missing in action for a good many months, so, its useless.  As a result, the Holland Electronics splitters are the next best bet.  

One other item to note, have a look at the settings that are available for the extenders.  There should be a MoCA frequency band selection in the user settings.  At the very least it should show the Delta Band.  Ideally it would show the sub-bands, D-Low and D-High.  If those were available, you should select D-High.  If all there is the Delta Band, it might be an idea to contact Hitron to see if there is a firmware update available which would enable the D-High band and gain the most performance available out of the MoCA network. 

What's New
WWE: Extreme Rules LIVE
Sunday July 15, 2018
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

WWE throws the rulebook out the window and lets the Superstars compete in matches where anything goes! Don't miss Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Alexa Bliss and all your favorites. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Ontario/Atlantic)

Topic Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 8 in conversation