WLM / Win 7: Can’t Send Emails Anymore ??

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

WLM / Win 7: Can’t Send Emails Anymore ??

Hello;

1) Suddenly I haven’t been able since this morning to send any emails (Windows Live Mail).
I continue however to receive emails, but not sending!
The error message (below) provides a Server Error #, WLM Error ID. and advice to contact Yahoo.com.

2) I Contacted the ISP (Rogers) and spoke to 3 techs.
They checked the a/c, protocol, Incoming/Outgoing addresses, etc., and couldn’t figure out the problem.
The ISP advised: “Contact MS. They should be able to fix the problem.”

3) Contacted MS Customer Service.
They don’t provide technical support for Windows Live Mail because: “It’s a free MS product”.
MS advised however: “For $ 100.+tax, we can access your computer and provide detail diagnoses of the problem.”
I thanked MS for their help!!

4) I repaired Windows Essentials, ran a full system scan, etc., and tried again to send a one-word email to myself.
No improvement!

5) I uninstalled WLM, and re-installed the full Windows Live Essentials 2012 (incl. WLM 2012).
Tried to send a one-word email to myself. Got the same Error:

An unknown error has occurred.
Subject 'Testing'
Server Error: 554
Server Response: 554 Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information
Server: 'smtp.broadband.rogers.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC6F
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): No

Your help would be greatly acknowledged and appreciated.
Monir

***edited labels***
Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: WLM / Win 7: Can’t Send Emails Anymore ??

This is interesting. I would suggest trying to first send an email from the web-based rogers yahoo interface (rogers.yahoo.com)

If this would work the problem should be on your computer. Make sure you use the option "SMTP server requires authorization". Also, try using default port 25 instead of 587.

And it would not hurt checking your firewall logs to verify that your software firewall does not block port 587.

To eliminate any virus possibility boot your computer from a rescue disk and run a full scan.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some people with using pop/smtp for the email with 3rd party clients (thunderbird i know it happened alot), that it seems to lock them out of their email..

If they go and log into their web mail through that interface, they can then send through the other program fine for a while..but then again have to go through the webmail as it locks again after a while... its like its sensing too many requests or something, and wants a login via the webmail, for verification or something.

Some users, have found better luck, using the IMAP server, rather than the PoP and it seems like it doesnt do it anymore.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi TeDD13 and Gdkitty;

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

a) As we speak, the WLM appears to be “gradually” getting back to functioning properly.
By “gradually” I mean the following.

b) I created 3 messages and sent them to myself: msg(1) Send, msg(2) Forward, and msg(3) Reply.
I sent the 3 emails.

c) The error message (quoted in my OP) was displayed ref. to msg(1), and kept showing every couple of minutes or so whenever WLM tried to re-send it.
After about an hour or so, msg(1) was successfully sent.

d) The error message was then displayed relevant to msg(2), and similarly kept appearing every couple of minutes or so until it was sent successfully hours later!

e) The process was repeated for msg(3).
So in about 4-5 hours, the 3 emails were sent successfully!!!

f) In my situation, it appears that if an email was not sent successfully, it blocks the “pipeline”, and no subsequent sent emails would go through!

g) I subsequently ran a 2nd full system scan.
This time MSE found: “Trojan: Win32/WinWebSec” and issued a “Severe Alert”.
I’ve just removed the virus and shutdown the system for the night.

Will report back tomorrow morning, since I hate to be disappointed at this time if it was not the solution!!

Regards.
Monir 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Upon looing it up.. i dont beleive that one is the cuplrit, it doesnt appear to be a mailer based one.. but it is possible its trying to use your mail connection, and is spamming the port while the program is open.. so rogers is blocking it.

Thats what it does look like from your original message, that either the virus.. or just the mail program.. is just making too many requests so its blocking you (they do this, to prevent peoples PCs to be used to send out spam, etc)

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Gdkitty;

The issue appears to have been resolved.

The Rogers investigation revealed that the email a/c had been “compromised”.
By resetting the Rogers Yahoo email a/c, choosing a different secretive question, and changing the password, the functionality of WLM 2012 email Send has now been restored.
The resetting required ~ 24 hours for security reasons.

So far so good (after about 36 hours of testing).

Thank you.
Monir
What's New
WWE: Survivor Series LIVE
Sunday November 19, 2017
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

WWE Superstars will compete under one roof with one mission in mind, survival! Don’t miss Roman Reigns, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Alexa Bliss, Charlotte and all your favorites collide. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Ontario)/398 (Atlantic).

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation