Very Slow Internet (Rogers Ultimate)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: Very Slow Internet (Rogers Ultimate)

You will never get high speeds downloading from P2P no matter what package you have. They are all throttled severly over the last year. That is why you can't your 50mbps speed. That speed only applies to http traffic (checking email, reading news, downloading from websites... etc)

I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

but wouldnt it be interesting to find out that Rogers is shaping all its traffic to prioritize video over the net at the EXPENSE of all other traffic?

I mean Bell/ Rogers and Shaw are all TV companies first, with their Download caps and usage based billing.. being forced on us... they sure offer a lot of video on demand that will eat up our caps, making everyone pay above their usage if they did use online video..!!!

P2P content may be throttled for piracy issues.. so why wouldn't they throttle everything else just to push their expensive video content down the same pipe... they haven't upgraded the networks THAT significantly to be offering streaming "free" video

I Plan to Stick Around

xplornetsucks wrote:

P2P content may be throttled for piracy issues.. so why wouldn't they throttle everything else just to push their expensive video content down the same pipe... they haven't upgraded the networks THAT significantly to be offering streaming "free" video

Don't fool yourself.  P2P is not throttled for piracy issues.  P2P is throttled to protect Rogers core cable-TV business.  Rogers couldn't care less about intellectual property belonging to other people. 

Also, Teksavvy resells Rogers internet.  If there's a problem with Teksavvy internet, there's a problem with Rogers internet.  Unless you are purchasing the DSL service, and then it's a Bell issue. 

These problems are likely directly related to Rogers poorly trying to shape your traffic to prevent you from streaming video online or downloading.  If you look, you are probably also getting packet loss. 

Drop to DOS and type:

ping google.com -n 50

If you see any timeouts?  That's packet loss.  Make sure you call Rogers support to complain. 

I Plan to Stick Around

BGrant wrote:

Also, Teksavvy resells Rogers internet.  If there's a problem with Teksavvy internet, there's a problem with Rogers internet.  Unless you are purchasing the DSL service, and then it's a Bell issue. 

Not sure if this is entirely true.  I have been with Teksavvy and the congestion had gotten very bad over the past 4 weeks so I decided to come back to Rogers.  The download speed are MUCH improved.  There are limited times when I have seen slowdowns on my POI but nothing like I was seeing on Teksavvy.  You could guarantee that you would be slow from about 6PM - 12Am every night.

It seems that Teksavvy attracts VERY heavy users that take advantage of the unlimited bandwith.  I am not sure the infastructure is there for them to handle this . . . they have been talking about POI upgrades for months.

I Plan to Stick Around

kibosh wrote:

BGrant wrote:

Not sure if this is entirely true.  I have been with Teksavvy and the congestion had gotten very bad over the past 4 weeks so I decided to come back to Rogers.  The download speed are MUCH improved.  There are limited times when I have seen slowdowns on my POI but nothing like I was seeing on Teksavvy.  You could guarantee that you would be slow from about 6PM - 12Am every night.

It seems that Teksavvy attracts VERY heavy users that take advantage of the unlimited bandwith.  I am not sure the infastructure is there for them to handle this . . . they have been talking about POI upgrades for months.

"Network Congestion" can be overcome by simply adding more VLAN's.  It's less about bandwidth being used, and more about volume of users. 

I Plan to Stick Around

In general I've been very happy with the 50mb connection. You're always going to be limited by the other end of the pipe too...

When I'm dealing with a major, high end site, like say Microsoft.com I almost always get a full 5-7megabytes a second... It really depends on the other side.

I use a fair amount of P2P too, and results can vary wildly, but it's impossible to blame rogers entirely. Generally, on a good connection, I still get 600kb to 2500kb per second, which (even at the low end) is still not enough to bother me that much... Sure, sometimes I inexplicably get 5k a second too, but it's just as likely not Rogers fault.

I'm not saying there's no throttling going on... not by any means. I'm just saing 90% of the time my connection is excellent, and I can't be the only one.

I Plan to Stick Around

Exteme Plus Waterloo ON - I have had slow Download speeds in Waterloo since at least September 18th.  Had 6 service tickets issued, quickly invalidated. 7 hours on the phone, dozens of calls, conflicting info from Rogers, swapped out 2 modems at Rogers store per tech supports' request. 

For first 10 days of calls every Rogers Rep I spoke with insisted no problem with Rogers Network, and asserted it's both my computers, even when all troubleshooting, noise levels, trace routes (never latency on first 5 hops), pointed towards a Rogers Network issue. 

Finally, 3 days ago, Diane in the CAT team informed me this is a known Rogers Network issue in my area, the engineers are now working on it, and there's no ETA for a solution, "call you back in a week".  

I've filed complaints with the CRTC, BBB, CCTS, and contacted David Carswell in the Kitchener CTV news director.  You can email your stories there news@swo.ctv.ca.  Can attach links to threads, captures, other evidence.  

Elen Roseman of the Toronto Star.   I emailed her, and within 12 hours the Office of the President had responded to a complaint she filed on my behalf.  Email her eroseman@thestar.ca

I know many of these complaints get little action, no one wants to touch internet speed issues in Canada.  However, the the numbers of complaints for the same issues will tell the story and just might get some results. 

I've Been Around

No solution from Rogers, and I'm fed up.

Speedtest.net 7 pm - 10 pm = 2.6 Mb download; 0.4 upload!!!!!!!!

Virtually unusable.

I've Been Around

Where are you living? Ottawa?

Just test my internet speed, that is suck. 0.92Mb/s Downloading ||1.11mb/s Uploading || 515ms Ping.

It is 12Mb/s 1 week ago. but right now.  I called them, they want to send a technician. that is useless.

I'm Here A Lot

I can't believe they are STILL working on this.  Month after Month goes by - I have talked with 2 dozen techs including online chat with techs, had a tech come out, had 2 techs take control of my computer through their desktop access software to gather info... nothing - my ticket remians open.

At times (usually early early morning off peak time) I get blazing fast 80Mbps but at peak times... it crawls sometimes down to 2Mbps.

Customer service says they are aware of the issue in the area and then tech says nope, there is no word on any issues...

Meanwhile, I continue to pay the $99/mo. + modem rental + tax

the other night I noticed channel 29 wasn't working (don't usually watch it) but it's included in my package I'm paying for... no one tells me this, I have to dig into it and find out for myself when Rogers is ripping me off.  Mistakes on my bill nearly monthly as of late... wow,  I considered Rogers home security but cancelled my appointment - they hire young kids that for the most part are clueless as to what they are selling,  I have to be put on hold nearly every question I ask... a lot of uhms... uhs... I'm not sure, I can't see why not... I so sick of this crappy service but I'm locked into a contract with my phones - why use anything else if I get a discount on other services... it's such a love hate relationship I have with Rogers.  I dream of the day when they can get their siht together and offer consistancy in service.  They are rushing new tech to compete with Bell and to be able to advertise speeds and services but they back their claims up with their fine print which is basically... we don't really have to stand by what we advertise and their is nothing you can do about it but post your experience online and hopefuly steer others to not give them their business... which they don't care, they have more than enough business whether you are happy or not, stay or leave because most users are not demanding and will settle with whatever they get - people like me who point out their failures... well, my business isn't wanted anyhow.

What's New
WWE: Extreme Rules LIVE
Sunday July 15, 2018
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

WWE throws the rulebook out the window and lets the Superstars compete in matches where anything goes! Don't miss Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Alexa Bliss and all your favorites. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Ontario/Atlantic)

Topic Stats