cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP

pparis
I've been around

Hi,

I want to be able to see my ipcam remotely from my phone. I am using a portable router and according to the camera manufacturer, I need a static ip to do this as Rogers block all incoming ports.

Any suggestion ?

My router is a peplink BR1 Mini Industrial grade and the camera is a hikvision

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Static IP

RogersZia

Good morning & welcome to the Community @pparis!

You've definitely come to the right place Robot Happy! I'll tag a few for our Resident Experts for some insight @Datalink @Gdkitty @gp-se.

RogersZia

lurker_test
I plan to stick around

@pparis,

Firstly, Rogers does not block any port. Once the port is forwarded to your internal device, it should be accessible remotely.

There are two parts to your question:

1. You need to assign a fix (static) internal IP to your camera from your router. Once the IP is assigned, you will need to forward the required camera port to the IP assigned.

2. You will need to access your camera remotely via the public IP assigned by Rogers. This IP is not static, but it rarely changes (call it semi-static). However, you can use a dynamic DNS service (such as noip, duckdns, dyndns, easydns, freedns, to name a few) which would eliminate the need to remember your public IP.

What exactly do you mean by "portable router"? Are you using a cellular router with your phone when on the road? If you provide more details about your setup, such as whether your camera using the Rogers Wifi and the model of the "portable router", then I am sure someone should be able to walk your through the setup.

Agreed, would need a little more info/clarification.

My guess, is that the person may not live in an area with cable connection, so may be on a celluar modem/router.

If they are, the IP changes quite often, and can even do it multiple times a day.
Makes setting up a DNS service a little more difficult.

But rogers can provide a static IP address for the devices.  Others in the past here have had it done.
From there, would then require to do the proper port forwarding.
(and yes, there are 2-3 different ports which are reserved and can not be forwarded.. but nothing preventing from changing the ports on the device to different ones if available.. or forwarding from a different external port to the correct internal one)

HughR
I plan to stick around

@Gdkittywrote:

But rogers can provide a static IP address for the devices.  Others in the past here have had it done.

Interesting.  I've asked in the past and been told that it wasn't available.  Except for business customers, a whole different thing.  Has this changed?

Historically my cable IP has changed on average roughly once a year.  Sometimes in a rude way: without my DHCP lease expiring.

My guess is that renumbering happens at Rogers' convenience when they reallocate resources.

For ordinary consumers, only DSL resellers seem to be able to provide a static IP.  This is an extra-cost option.  The IPs are assigned to and delegated by the reseller.  I think that this is possible because PPPoE is a tunneling protocol.  If they choose to, resellers can even route any authorized subnet to the customer.

Cable resellers cannot provide static IPs.  The IPs are assigned to and delegated by the cable company.  Of course you could use a VPN to route other IPs to your cable-connected gateway.

TECHHEAD
I plan to stick around

@pparis,

NEVER do any port forwarding from your cameras, unless you want them to get hacked from the outside world.

I use a DDNS to view my Hikvision cameras along with OpenVPN. No port forwarding what so ever.

Only I have a home modem and not a portable one.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@HughR wrote:

@Gdkittywrote:

Interesting.  I've asked in the past and been told that it wasn't available.  Except for business customers, a whole different thing.  Has this changed?

Historically my cable IP has changed on average roughly once a year.  Sometimes in a rude way: without my DHCP lease expiring.

My guess is that renumbering happens at Rogers' convenience when they reallocate resources.

For ordinary consumers, only DSL resellers seem to be able to provide a static IP.  This is an extra-cost option.  The IPs are assigned to and delegated by the reseller.  I think that this is possible because PPPoE is a tunneling protocol.  If they choose to, resellers can even route any authorized subnet to the customer.

Cable resellers cannot provide static IPs.  The IPs are assigned to and delegated by the cable company.  Of course you could use a VPN to route other IPs to your cable-connected gateway.

I think there is a little confusion on what was being done/asked.

Yes, you cant really get a static EXTERNAL address.  But its not really needed that much, your lucky if it changes once a year.

I think they were more asking about static INTERNAL addresses.
If your doing any form port forwarding, they would want to put the endpoint device at a static address.

That is completely doable, either via setting the IP address static on the device itself.
Or you can set a limited number of reservations on the Hitron modem software (I think it maxes at 9?)

HughR
I plan to stick around

@Gdkittywrote:

@HughRwrote:

@Gdkittywrote:

Interesting.  I've asked in the past and been told that it wasn't available.  Except for business

I think there is a little confusion on what was being done/asked.

I think they were more asking about static INTERNAL addresses.
If your doing any form port forwarding, they would want to put the endpoint device at a static address.

That is completely doable, either via setting the IP address static on the device itself.
Or you can set a limited number of reservations on the Hitron modem software (I think it maxes at 9?)

You are right, there is some confusion.

An internal address has nothing to do with Rogers.  It's an arbitrary choice that is local to the LAN.  In other words, Rogers does not provide it.

For an internal IP address, the simplest choice is just to pick one in the subnet already used for the LAN.  That subnet is going to be something like 192.168.1.0/24 (or any other subnet specified in RFC 1918).  Then configure the router and device appropriately.

I wonder if things are easier if you use IPv6?  I have no experience with how Rogers deals with IPv6 but it should not involve NAT.  Without NAT, configuration should be simpler.

Geoff123
I've been around

I have the  CGN3ACSMR modem can anyone help me set a static ip address to my xbox one??

Thanks

You have two options.. 
But unless your moving your xboxone anywhere else than your house..

Best would be to set it on the device.
https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/faqs/000025508/Setting-up-a-static-IP-address-for-Xbox-One
There is a set of instructions on how to do it.. that will set it as static for what it was (but you can change the IP address to a different if you want, just leave the others you copied the same)

Sundog1966
I plan to stick around

Was watching this and wondering how this applies in the Rogers context? There is a provision for local IP6 addresses in the RFC but I don't see anything on my HiTron router to set reserved IP6 addresses. I am looking to set up a Maria DB database server on an HPDL60 server and need a static IP6 address so the application that uses it can find the server without a local DNS server. (It's for educational purposes. I am teaching myself to program with a database backend). I have set an IP4 static address and that's nice, but I also need to create a static local IP6 static address.

Getting IPv6 private addressing right | APNIC Blog

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 in conversation