cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

I was reading up on Rogers' Q4 2016 results, which were released on Janurary 26, and I happened to catch my eye on to something that points to a release of a SECOND DOCSIS 3.1 modem:

"Our adoption of the X1 platform not only includes access to the most advanced IPTV solution, but also to Comcast’s state-of-the-art customer premise equipment, including advanced DOCSIS 3.1 Wi-Fi gateways, Wi-Fi extenders, and wireless set-top boxes as well as the ability to send video to other third party companion devices (such as tablets and smartphones).

By mid-2017, Rogers plans to bring its customers the new advanced DOCSIS 3.1 Wi-Fi gateway, which is capable of delivering up to nine gigabits per second over Wi-Fi within the home, supports voice, home monitoring, and automation applications, and can act as the core in-home gateway for video and data applications."

Sounds promising! Smiley Happy

***Edited Labels***

87 REPLIES 87

Re: Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

That's good news

BS
I'm a senior advisor

It is good news, but can I say "I will believe it when I see it".  Maybe this time they will get it right.  It has not been a great record of implementations in the last few years.

May it come.

Bruce

RyzenFX

The release of the new modem should be around the corner and it could be launched on July 20th, which is the date Rogers will be releasing it's second quarter 2017 financial results. If it is not launched by then, I'd assume that the modem will launch a week after.

I have done some more researching on which modem Rogers will be launching and my research all points towards the XB6.

Hitron did say in one of their videos that they will be launching a new modem that is their equivalent to the XB6, but from my searching on the FCCID and Industry Canada databases, the modem has not yet received approval from both parties. It is important to note that Industry Canada approves radio equipment to be used only in Canada, not the FCC. If the Hitron modem were to be approved by Industry Canada in a short time before the modem is launched on the Rogers network, I would be worried about quality issues- and based on the CODA-4582 launch, Rogers certainly does not want to be running into these issues again.

The only other 8x8 WiFi gateway that has been approved by Industry Canada is the XB6 by Arris. So there's a high possibility that it could be the XB6 modem. This is just my guess, so you can take it with a grain of salt. 

Let me know down below if you think that Rogers will be launching the XB6 or the Hitron equivalent. Smiley Happy

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I think it probably depends upon whether they have themselves locked into a contract with Hitron that may cost them huge to get out of.

But then again, they had to walk from Espial for Navigtr, Cisco got out of the whole business, leaving Rogers on the limb for modems and gateways, and I would suspect future home phone ATA's, and TV set top boxes.

They have had to eat a lot of money of the set top boxes and the failure of IPTV on the old model, so what is one more loss to eat in order to get the network ready for Comcast Rollout.

Since at this point, Comcast still does not support Hitron, and does the Aris, I am leaning toward Aris, but we will have to see.

Bruce

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

With all the details we have, it's very likely that it will be Aris and if it's the case I will get mine right away!

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

What about DOCSIS 3.1 Upstream, it was supposed to start rolling out during Summer, maybe we will have informations about this on July 20th?

RyzenFX

@JohnBeaudin

I have no idea when DOCSIS 3.1 Upstream will be deployed at this point, but I'm really hoping that when Dave returns, he will give us information on the deployment. 

RyzenFX

@JohnBeaudin No info about OFDMA deployment however, I was reading the report and it had stated the following: 

"We expect to launch Comcast's X1 all-IP video platform in 2018. Our customers will benefit from Comcast's commitment to innovation. Our adoption of the X1 platform not only includes access to one of the most advanced IPTV solutions, but also to Comcast's state-of-the-art customer premise equipment. Comcast attributes the transformative X1 platform to improving its Xfinity TV subscriber performance, reducing churn, and increasing engagement for customers."

It is  important to note that Rogers is launching the X1 ALL-IP platform in 2018. However, this also allows them to use Comcast's CPE. Since this is an all IP-platform, all you need to use this service is a DOCSIS 3.1 gateway. 

This means that the gateway will be connected to the cable box wirelessly. In Comcast land, they are able to do this by connecting the XB6 to the Xi5 wireless companion cable box. However, only a Comcast gateway will allow the Xi5 to deliver IPTV service, not a router. 

There is no clear information on the release of the next D3.1 gateway so I would hold your horses on that one. The gateway is likely to be the XB6 given the fact that it enables I[PTV service. 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

At this point I think it's more likely to happen at the end of the year or early 2018.

We might have more info later who knows!

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@RyzenFX wrote:

@JohnBeaudin No info about OFDMA deployment however, I was reading the report and it had stated the following: 

"We expect to launch Comcast's X1 all-IP video platform in 2018. Our customers will benefit from Comcast's commitment to innovation. Our adoption of the X1 platform not only includes access to one of the most advanced IPTV solutions, but also to Comcast's state-of-the-art customer premise equipment. Comcast attributes the transformative X1 platform to improving its Xfinity TV subscriber performance, reducing churn, and increasing engagement for customers."

It is  important to note that Rogers is launching the X1 ALL-IP platform in 2018. However, this also allows them to use Comcast's CPE. Since this is an all IP-platform, all you need to use this service is a DOCSIS 3.1 gateway. 

This means that the gateway will be connected to the cable box wirelessly. In Comcast land, they are able to do this by connecting the XB6 to the Xi5 wireless companion cable box. However, only a Comcast gateway will allow the Xi5 to deliver IPTV service, not a router. 

There is no clear information on the release of the next D3.1 gateway so I would hold your horses on that one. The gateway is likely to be the XB6 given the fact that it enables I[PTV service. 

X1 is NOT All-IP, it's a Hybrid. IPTV is used for on demand, the guide, etc. Channels are still tuned using QAM. Also DOCSIS 3.1 is a standard, so we don't have to use the exact same modems as Comcast, Rogers can choose to use any modem that is DOCSIS 3.1 Compliant.

For Rogers to go all IPTV they would have to ensure every single subscriber is using a digital terminal that can decode IPTV, and so far only the Nextbox 3 and 4K Nextbox have that compatibility. This is why Rogers/Comcast are using a Hybrid setup, because not everyone has the equipment. 

RyzenFX

@gp-se I do understand your point, but Rogers clearly stated that they are launching X1 as an all-IP video platform come 2018. This means that Rogers will be delivering the service ONLY through IP over DOCSIS QAM- NOT regular QAM which is what Comcast is doing today. 

I'm pretty sure Comcast has stated multiple times that the cable box has become obsolete and are working to deliver their X1 product as an IPTV product. 

Mythen
I plan to stick around

I am in a unique position where X1 is my specialty.    All X1 boxes need the internet in order for it to work.  Basically you can't have X1 without subscribing to internet.  All X1 STB's have a built in modem.  

Mythen

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@RyzenFX wrote:

@gp-se I do understand your point, but Rogers clearly stated that they are launching X1 as an all-IP video platform come 2018. This means that Rogers will be delivering the service ONLY through IP over DOCSIS QAM- NOT regular QAM which is what Comcast is doing today. 

I'm pretty sure Comcast has stated multiple times that the cable box has become obsolete and are working to deliver their X1 product as an IPTV product. 

@RyzenFX For Rogers to launch X1 using an all IP model they would only be able to release it to certain areas and to customers that upgrade to a STB that is IPTV compatible, the same as Bell is doing with Fibe. I personally can't see Rogers doing this as the footprint would be very small. I'm very confident they will be doing the Hybrid IPTV/QAM in the beginning so they can get the platform out to as much customers as possible, then transition to pure IPTV. 

The good news is, in the last year or two Rogers has changed their compression method, and the picture quality over QAM has really improved. It used to be quite pixelated on fast moving objects, and in general the picture looked very compressed, but recently it looks fantastic, Netflix quality!

Oct 10, 2017 - I received a letter from Rogers stating I must upgrade my current modem within 30 days.  Could it be for this? 

Probably not.  Do you currently have a black CGN3xxx modem and an unlimited internet account?  If so, my guess is that Rogers is shifting unlimited account customers over to the newer CODA-4582 which is DOCSIS 3.1 capable.  Shifting more customers to that modem will allow Rogers additional flexibility in frequency management for the modems and the Cable Modem Termination Systems that support the modems.  End goal .... higher data rates for all concerned.  

Mine's a black CGNM-3552 with unlimited. Does the M make a difference?

Nope.  That is the correct model number.  On a gigabit plan? 

Yes, Rogers Ignite Gigabit - Unld

Ok, that makes sense then.  Rogers is shifting customers such as yourself to the CODA-4582.  One word of warning however, some customers with the CODA-4582, which will operate using DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side, experience slow data rates.   Best guess is a signal level or signal to noise ratio issue between the modem and CMTS.  I've never seen that with my 4582, but, others have.  Its not a widespread issue, but, it does happen and its pretty aggravating to resolve.  So, fwiw, a heads up. 

Thanks for the useful info. My current modem/router was in need of replacement because of poor Wi-Fi performance so this is funny timing...almost seems like Rogers is causing it, to force the modem switch 😉

You were correct, I got a CODA-4582U , it looks like a large Apple Airport Extreme/Time Capsule 

"some customers with the CODA-4582, which will operate using DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side, experience slow data rates.   Best guess is a signal level or signal to noise ratio issue between the modem and CMTS.  I've never seen that with my 4582, but, others have.  Its not a widespread issue, but, it does happen and its pretty aggravating to resolve."

I haven't ensured others in the household aren't using data, but I just did a speed test and it averaged 289Mbit down / 40Mbit up, which is disheartening...

Topic Stats