Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers to offer gigabit download speeds to Internet customers

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Monday, Oct. 05, 2015

Kind of interesting:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rogers-to-offer-gigabit-download-speeds-to-interne...

"  Rogers Communications Inc. is preparing to roll out “gigabit” download speeds to its broadband Internet customers.

The Toronto-based cable and wireless company is set to announce its plans at a midday press event on Monday and will begin offering download speeds of up to 1 GB per second in parts of Toronto as well as Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill, Ajax, Pickering and Whitby later this year. It will make the higher speeds available to its entire footprint – which covers four million customers – in 2016.  "

See article for remaining text......

***Edit Label****

39 REPLIES 39

Re: Rogers to offer gigabit download speeds to Internet customers

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

It would make sense of you to upgrade to the 1GBps package however, keep in mind realistically you won't be able to fully maximize and use all of the speed of 1GBps. You would only be able to achieve 1GBps on mostly wired devices (of course that can handle 1GBPS). It is also important to ask yourself the question "do I really need 1GBPS, what will I get out of this?" Also, you would need to upgrade to a new modem Rogers would be releasing soon that should be capable of 10GBps. The existing modems cannot handle 1GBps; only 960MBps.  Hope this atleast helped you.

wayner92

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

It would make sense of you to upgrade to the 1GBps package however, keep in mind realistically you won't be able to fully maximize and use all of the speed of 1GBps. You would only be able to achieve 1GBps on mostly wired devices (of course that can handle 1GBPS). It is also important to ask yourself the question "do I really need 1GBPS, what will I get out of this?" Also, you would need to upgrade to a new modem Rogers would be releasing soon that should be capable of 10GBps. The existing modems cannot handle 1GBps; only 960MBps.  Hope this atleast helped you.

The new gateways being introduced by Hitron appear to support maximum download speeds of 5Gbps but I don't Rogers would offer service anywhere near that, just like Rogers doesn't offer speeds anywhere near the Hitron CGN3 max speed of 960Mbps.  Their current offerings top out at about 1/3 of that speed.

And you are right about wireless - if you only use wireless devices in your house then it is pretty much a waste to get anything faster than about 75 Mbps.

RyzenFX
Hey @wayner92 do you have a link concering the new gateways being introduced by Hitron? Just curious 😛

wayner92

Yes - here are some, but keep checking Google News as there is a trade show going on this week where Hitron, and others, are unveiling new devices.  These stories are from yesterday:

http://www.multichannel.com/news/cable-operators/cable-tec-expo-hitron-bows-d31-modem/394497

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151013005477/en/Hitron-Demo-Intel-Based-DOCSIS-3.1-Cable-Mod...

@wayner92 wrote:

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

The new gateways being introduced by Hitron appear to support maximum download speeds of 5Gbps but I don't Rogers would offer service anywhere near that, just like Rogers doesn't offer speeds anywhere near the Hitron CGN3 max speed of 960Mbps.  Their current offerings top out at about 1/3 of that speed.

And you are right about wireless - if you only use wireless devices in your house then it is pretty much a waste to get anything faster than about 75 Mbps.

1) The maximum speed of 960 megabits/sec is just the bandwidth of 24 bonded DOCSIS 3 channels... so unless one is alone on a node, one could never get that kind of speed...

2) Why can't wireless take advantage of more than 75 megabits/sec? Decent 802.11ac gear can certainly go to ~200 (which is the most I've seen, SpeedBoosted, with my 150 megabit plan...)...

Fwiw, running 802.11ac on our RT-AC68U with the 250/20 plan, we see 1300 Mb/s connect rate to the gaming laptop and 328 mb/s down, 22 Mb/s up on a speedtest.  Thats the same as the wired rate to the same gaming laptop.  So for now, unless I change to a faster firewall, maybe, I'm guessing thats the max rate that I'll see from the 250 Mb/s service.  The 1300 Mb/s connect rate is independant of the service rate, seen only as the connect rate from the 68U to the laptop.

wayner92

I guess you're r

@VivienM wrote:

2) Why can't wireless take advantage of more than 75 megabits/sec? Decent 802.11ac gear can certainly go to ~200 (which is the most I've seen, SpeedBoosted, with my 150 megabit plan...)...

I guess you're right - I was thinking more of tablets, phones, streaming devices which often don't have 802.11ac capabilities (at least not yet) or be able to have applications to require the faster speeds as you don't typically download GB sized files to such devices.  But a laptop is an exception to this.  Maybe things have changed but when I have tried speedtests in the past on my iPhones and iPads they didn't even use all of the speed available on an 802.11n connection.

@wayner92 wrote:

I guess you're r

@VivienM wrote:

I guess you're right - I was thinking more of tablets, phones, streaming devices which often don't have 802.11ac capabilities (at least not yet) or be able to have applications to require the faster speeds as you don't typically download GB sized files to such devices.  But a laptop is an exception to this.  Maybe things have changed but when I have tried speedtests in the past on my iPhones and iPads they didn't even use all of the speed available on an 802.11n connection.

iPhones and iPads nowadays have 802.11ac. I just speedtested 87 megabits/sec down, 15.5 megabits/sec up on my iPhone 6; who knows what the bottleneck is... 

While older iThings (e.g. my iPad 3) had not-exactly-great wireless performance, I'd actually expect a current iThing to do better than a cheap Windows laptop with an el-cheapo single-band single-stream 802.11n card... much better... 

Its probably due to the number of antenna on the device, and the limitations of the Hitron modem and the device, in terms of what MCS levels each device supports.  If you look at the following chart, you can quickly see the limitations that come up, at least from the modem side.  The Hitron modem doesn't do MCS levels 8 and 9, which were specifically added in support of 802.11ac.  The modem also does receive the short Guard intervals indicated by (GI=400ns), so half of the columns on that chart are taken out.  Whittle that down to possibly a single data stream which is the result of a single antenna on the device, and you can see what you are left with.  Running an 80 Mhz wide channel might be difficult depending on how many other routers are running nearby, 160 Mhz channels I believe are out of the question.  I don't think the modem has the capability to select that in the wifi parameters.

http://mcsindex.com/

On the phone and tablet side of the house, there is also the question of what MCS levels are fully supported.  Some devices might not support all of the levels available within the Modulation and Coding Scheme, which would cause the bottom levels of the 1, 2, or 3 stream groups to become off limits as well.

Unfortunately the manufacturers are less than forthcoming with the tech details that would make this easy to determine, so the end user ends up wondering why the device doesn't run as fast as one would think.

netwrks
I plan to stick around

The emails from Rogers have started.

Sign up to be one of the first to learn about Rogers 4K TV and Rogers Ignite Gigabit Internet.  No mention of network hardware tough..

i would if i could find where to sign up for the nfo 🙂

@hiho

For more information of the Gigabit service have a look here

You can sign up for more info on this page as well. 

SS

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

Speed.png

I don't see a recent thread about my residential gigabit internet speeds, lets start a discussion.

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

Soggyrice
I've been around

So I just switched to the Ignite Gigabit from my u100 plan. When I did a speed test it only showed 295 mbps. What going on here?

Yes I went to the Rogers store to get their new Gigabit modem as well, and YES my area supports Gigabit internet.

#FirstWordProblems

@Soggyrice   

Moving up beyond 100Mb/s requires some homework on the part of the end user.  That homework is basically a review of all of the connected cables, and devices to determine if they support anything above 100Mb/s and if they are configured to support higher data rates.  While that might sound a little condescending, believe me its not.  We run into problems on the forum, probably on a weekly basis where a user moves up in data rates only to discover that the end devices themselves won't support the higher data rates as they just aren't fast enough, or that the ethernet ports or wifi adapters only support 100 Mb/s for example.  This also includes any routers and switches in the network.  As an example, we have a laptop that won't go beyond 200 to 210 Mb/s, wired or wifi, but yet, on the same network, a gaming laptop or desktop reaches almost 1 gig/s.  So, please post the details of your network and details of the device that you are using for testing purposes.  To run a speedtest you should use the speedtest.net Toronto Telus or Toronto Beanfield servers.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

I agree.    I have been swapping cables for good CAT6 ones and I am patiently waiting for the service to hit my town/street.  My router claims to have 1Gbs ports , my Gb switch claims to do 1Gbs as does my main machine.

BUT the only machine I would trust for this is a brand new build with a  GigaByte Z170 mobo, a new I5 and new 2133 Mbps memory.  It claims to be connecting at 1Gbps through the internal network now and it certainly OUGHT to be able to do it.     I might believe my router can do 1Gbps in on its WAN port and 1Gbps out on 1 LAN port at a time  but I'll wait and see.

Rogers-wise I am at the end of a small street with 6 taps on the cable to a sort of main street ( still not a main road) so I am not sure what speed I will actually get when it arrives.  I guess it will depend on where fibre is connected to coax.

NorthGraves
I plan to stick around

"a  GigaByte Z170 mobo, a new I5 and new 2133 Mbps memory" - yes, that is important, especially how fast the memory is. And i5 too, cause i3 obviously can't do 1Gb:-).

Cause why would you check the network adapter, for example, right?

Just joking:-).

nl2
I plan to stick around

If I had to make do with onboard lan then it would be a 100 series Z170 with Intel I219 ethernet

Topic Stats
  • 39 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 14 in conversation