Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

I would like to know what "we are looking into it" actually means. what steps have you gone through in order ot get this resolved?

I Plan to Stick Around

It means that they hope if they ignore it long enough, that customers will just ignore it and live with the problems.
I've Been Around

I have been feeling lately like my WoW lag has gotten noticably worse and then I stumbled accross this thread. 

I was thinking that the problem was just temporary and was being patient, but after reading these posts I'm concerned that it's much bigger than I had assumed.

Please fix the problem before I transfer to Bell, they're always calling me and telling me about all the deals they could give if I transfered to them.

Why would I pay so heavily for high speed internet if it is going to be poor for gaming?

Fix the problem please.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have recently started haveing latency issue also i am in kanata. is this actually gonna get fixed?

I've Been Here Awhile

Me and my brother have been having issues as well which might be related to this.  We are fine just sitting around in a Major city etc. Latency falls to around 110.  We go to a instance (5 man) and we start getting little hickups, like something is preventing data from getting to the blizzard servers.  Tracert shows nothing, but our latency says different. In a 5 man it will jump to 250-300 and spike to 1200 at random, usually when more stuff starts happening.

In raids, its far worse.  Latency will jump to 500 in a raid and spike a lot more often.  This started happening around the middle of feburary and nothing I have done on my end seems to fix it.  Format of 2 computers, totally up to date network drivers.  Both using Virus/Spyware protection with 0 problem theres.  Updated all network drivers as well.  It just started happening and now its a daily thing.  Its exceptionally bad when 2 people are trying to raid in the same grp on the same connection.  Its VERY obvious to me that we are being throttled, cause at times I'm perfectly fine and then my brother starts spiking really really bad and then it switchs. Its feels like we are hitting a wall that sais "Your sending to much data so we will just drop X amount of packets".  Exactly what throttling is.  I can't imagine WoW transmits that much data, that it needs throttling.  Either way, I think its pretty lame that this seems like it will be a problem for awhile.  And like it or not, I bet there are A LOT of people who play wow, who will switch providers just because of something like this, and its probably A LOT more then Rogers thinks.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Sry forgot to mention I live in Newfounadland, Canada. Switched from Bell to Rogers because of poor connections in online games... now its the same with Rogers.
I Plan to Stick Around

this is ridiculous! This CLEARLY point the fingers at rogers and they still have nothing SMART to say. You guys are gonna be loseing ALOT of buisness if this terrible custumer service stays this way. Great job keeping your custumers happy you lazy bastards! your CUSTUMERS have done most of the work for you if you read this thread now its left ur your hands and you do nothing!

I'm Here A Lot

Some of you here have an incredible patience and serenity. I admire it, but I cannot emulate it.

I've long found Rogers to be an entirely distasteful organization to do business with, but for me this is the final straw. I  very recently got back into WoW after a year long break, and I'm experiencing the same issue as some of you: Often, it is simply impossible to stay logged in for more than five seconds before I am diconnected. This repeats itself for hours on end.

Right now I'm living in a rented room, and so I don't really have a choice in my ISP; my landlord probably won't want to deal with switching just so I can play WoW. It hardly matters though, because there's no real competition in this country anyway. Terrible, demonic greed combined with the corrupt complicity of the CRTC allow Rogers and it's cousin Bell complete freedom to abuse and **bleep** the canadian population with wild abandon.

I'm paying for 15/1 Mbps down/up.World of Warcraft, in its most hectic moments, should not require one tenth of that speed. And yet, when I try to connect, I am disconnected almost immediately, again and again and again. This means that I am getting considerably less than one tenth of what I pay for. The only servicable word for this is fraud.

Like I said, there's not a lot of choice in this country. It's clear that the CRTC won't fix things anytime soon. Certainly Rogers appears completely unmotivated to change. So it would seem that I'm stuck with them. But I've got news for you, Rogers.

My hatred for you is so burning, so total, that if being in Canada means paying you to defraud me, I'll take exile. Come september, if you haven't changed your ways, I'm moving to europe or asia. I love this country, but I cannot stand to reside on the same continent as your greedy, troglodytic enterprise.

Fix this. Become a company that people can conduct business with, without feeling cheated and used. Find your moral compass. Do you really not understand that if you behave yourself, you could trounce bell within a decade?

I've said my piece. I've called you names. If my tone is abrasive, I can only say that it's a reflection of how your behaviour affects my life. Now PLEASE:

Understand -> Change -> Prosper.

I'm Here A Lot

I'd like to say that the word in the second paragraph that the forums decided to censor was spelled SEE OH EN.
I Plan to Stick Around

@ Dr_Hellno: I am upset with what has been happening with Rogers as much as the next guy but you may be taking this to an extreme.

I should mention that many of the issues people are having are in fairly isolated areas (over subscribed areas). I am not trying to downplay the issue as I am one of the affected customers as well, but the fact remains that not EVERYONE is having issues; it is not a Canada wide problem otherwise it would be getting country-wide coverage. The biggest exposure this issue has gotten would be the address given by Tony Clement this week on the topic of UBB and traffic shaping practices by Canadian ISP's which can be found here: http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/ParlVu/ContentEntityDetailView.aspx?ContentEntityId=7390

In essence you will be very hard pressed to find someone who is getting great service to come onto the forums and post about it. On the flip side those who do get bad service will be up in arms, hence the multitude of posts here and on DSL reports.

Moving to a new area where an indie ISP operates, or even simply moving to a new area with a less congested node / line segment would probably be enough to solve most people grief. Since that isn't an option for most, you are left with the 15 page thread you see before you. Moving to another country simply because of one businesses bad practices seems extreme to me.

What's New
WWE: Extreme Rules LIVE
Sunday July 15, 2018
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

WWE throws the rulebook out the window and lets the Superstars compete in matches where anything goes! Don't miss Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Alexa Bliss and all your favorites. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Ontario/Atlantic)