Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Hi Ressy,

I sent you a PM (private message) to follow-up.

Thanks

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersErin

Anyways, I do thank you immensely for continuing to look into this for us.  I must state however that RogersReggie popping in, and pointing fingers back at Blizzard and essentially riling people up, didn't help things. 

Neither is the fact that Blizzard still hasn't heard from anyoen from Rogers yet, and they ARE waiting for someone to contact them.  They WANT you guys to contact them.  They WANT us to be able to play without issues.

I also hate to state I'm being completely serious in my email.  I don't want to have to take the step I stated, but I will.  This issue has existed for far too long without being acknowledged or resolved by Rogers.

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers knows the situation, and I dont know about you guys but they didnt deny it to me. I contacted Rogers tech support and he told me they DO throttle (unlike they told my friend 1 day prior) The tech even went to the point to tell me to get ahold of Blizzard and see if I can get the IP of the server I play so he can do some tests on the connection and see where exactly packets are dropping. *shrugs*

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers has even gone so far as to admit that they throttle download speeds, and not just uploads speeds, as it says in their Network Management Policy.

I've narrow down exactly what my problem was. Maybe I should be a Rogers Network Engineer, because according to RogersReggie/Reginald, they can't figure it out.

My specific problem is that Rogers is dropping packets (at the very least upload packets) along port 3724, which is essential for World of Warcraft to operate normally.

According to the IANA's list of standardized ports ( http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers ), which is linked to directly in Rogers' Network Management Policy ( http://www.rogers.com/web/content/network_management ), port 3724 is listed as being designated to World of Warcraft as seen here:

blizwow         3724/tcp   World of Warcraft
blizwow         3724/udp   World of Warcraft
#                          Domain Tech <Domainnametech&blizzard.com> April 2005

Therefore, Rogers is violating their own Network Management Policy.

@RogersErin

Do you think your Network Engineers can figure out how to stop that port from getting shaped now that I've laid out all of the ground work for them?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@KingNerd

I'm PM'ing you with my contact's info.  He's probably too busy to respond to me, but if he needs to be advised of this development, and he may be able to test your account from his end with this info.

@RogersErin

I suggest Rogers updates their network management policy as its woefully out of date considering your new throttling everything practices.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm getting Rogers Internet services on Monday, and am getting cold feet really fast;

Why does Rogers even throttle Internet services? As Canadians we are already paying "the" highest base prices for internet in the free world; Countries like Romania, Estonia & South Korea who don't even have paved roads are enjoying unthrottled unlimited 1gbps fiber for $25CAD/month

And this draconian style throttling of encrypted and gaming services needs to stop. World-wide gaming services shouldn't have to bend over to national ISPs, it should be the other way around. I'm happy that staff at this forum aren't suggesting, "sir, please reboot your modem"

I'm just not getting the full picture as to why Rogers is doing what there doing, they're already monetizing on astronomic $5/GB overage charges; ladies and gentelment bandwidth doesn't cost $5 nor does it cost $0.50 ... you have to ask yourselves why does Cable TV not cost $5/GB? It's the EXACT same 1s and 0s going through your cable pipes. Watching a 15mbit HD channel for 3 hours/day = 20GB x 30days = 600GB/month. That's just one channel, imagine you have two channels going? Your pushing 1TB/month and guess how much this costs? that's right ... $30/month.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's sad but they can do it. Untilt here is real competition out there it's the way things are.

I've Been Here Awhile

The issue is this:

* The Cisco SCE deep packet inspection devices (DPI) used by Rogers doesn't use the IANA port number to determine traffic types - otherwise you could just run e.g. Bittorrent over HTTP port 80 to hide it.

* The SCE uses a combination of packet content inspection, number of connections, connection establishment / teardown rate, packet size and other traffic characteristics to classify traffic. These kind of devices can differentiate hundreds of different traffic types, but they are doing it based essentially on an educated "guess".

* Blizzard changed their client/server protocol with the 4.0 patch late last fall.

* Because of the changes in 4.0, the SCE can sometimes, especially under higher traffic conditions in WoW, mis-categorize WoW traffic and cause it to be rate limited / throttled (depending on the SCE configuration).

* This causes people to get bad lag or disconnections sometimes, again typically in higher traffic conditions in WoW.

* The solution is a change to the SCE to fix how it is classifying WoW client/server traffic. Blizzard knows about this and can assist operators who are having the problem.

A tech running a traceroute to the Blizzard server you are playing on is unlikely to see the problem. 

I play with 4 people in Ontario who are on Rogers. Every single one of us has seen this issue starting the day after 4.0 dropped and persisting to this day.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersErin

Is there a name and email/phone number for a senior systems administrator or senior network engineer at Rogers with which we can contact in regards to this mess?

It seems most of us in this topic, including the representative from Blizzard, know exactly what is going on here and how to fix it. Blizzard Entertainment is ready to assist and would, I quote, "love to talk to them directly."

It also seems that the Tier1 support offered here is not willing, or just not equipped to handle our problem.

If we could get a more direct contact with whomever can rectify this problem, that would be absolutely wonderful. If you do not feel comfortable giving this information via this public forum, that is fine. You can feel free to PM the information to me, or you can send it to my Rogers email at: swhisken @[at] rogers .[dot] com

That way I can forward the information to the representative at Blizzard and this entire mess can be sorted out.

Thanks.

I've Been Around

The worst part of all of this is, no matter what even threatening to switch to any other ISP won't matter since almost every one of them on the east coast is going through rogers or bell lines. I'm even having problems playing Steam, and having a stable XBL connection which I'm guessing is more just standard upload throttling.