Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

So I recently moved into a new apartment building, and I've started noticing a lot of ping jitter during the afternoon and evenings up until late at night. Best case scenario I seem to get like 5ms jitter, but it's been going up to 25ms sometimes. It has made playing some games pretty bad. I'm using the CGN3ACSMR, with the same settings as before I moved. 

My download/upload speeds are fine, usually above or at what I pay for (100/10). It's the ping that has been an issue everyday since I have moved here. I tried a factory reset on the modem already, but I don't think that helped the issue.

I had this problem with jitter before I moved, but then it stopped for a long while and now I seem to have it again after my move.

Could it be an issue with congestion in the area? Should I upgrade to the CODA modem? Anyone else have this problem and was able to solve it?

Thanks.

Edit: I made this post just after I finished a gaming session where my ping was deviating from 45-60ms. My friend in the same general area as me (different ISP) was getting 39ms. 10 minutes after I posted this, I run a speedcheck and pingtest, and now I am getting around 4ms jitter. I go test in-game again, and I'm now getting a relatively stable 40ms. No changes in any programs running as far as I can tell. This jitter problem sure works in mysterious ways.

The game in question is Overwatch, which has Central US servers I connect to. The problem also occurs in CS:GO, which has US east, US central, and US southeast servers.

I'll probably make an update tomorrow if I experience the issues again. Any help diagnosing would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit 2: Another 25 minutes since my last edit, now my jitter is testing 18-30ms. I even turned off wifi on the modem to see if that makes a difference, and it doesn't. Really weird how it's fluctuating in such little time.

I'm a Regular

I get high ping/jitter especially at night from 5pm- 12am most likely due to congested area... Where are u located? I'm at Sheppard and donmills area ... The coda modem might help not sure.
I Plan to Stick Around

London, ON, south end near Commissioners & Wharncliffe. Not sure if this counts as a congested area or not.

I'm a Regular

You should ask @RogersKevin or @RogersDave if they know of any Congestion issues in your area.... We have been waiting for a fix in the area donmills and leith Hill Rd, North York area. since December 2016 I don't know what's taking so long but it's getting rediclious.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mossryan124 the issue with finding multiplayer matches for an XBox EA game when IPv6 is enabled is a known issue and this is being discussed with Microsoft.  For EA games, this will prevent you from finding a game match. For other XBox games, you shouldn't have any issues.  I refer you to the following posts:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Online-Gaming-Thread/m-p/395529#M45674

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Online-Gaming-Thread/m-p/395501#M45662

If you have a white CODA-4582 modem, I refer you to the following response to the same query as yours, only a day earlier.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Any-way-to-disable-IPv6-on-Hitron-CGN3AMR-or-other-way...

If you have a black CGN3xxxxx modem and you are running an unlimited account, I would suggest switching to the CODA-4582 as it would enable you to disable IPV6 in the modem.  That has been observed as the solution to the problem for now.  The ultimate solution will be for Microsoft to fix the problem that prevents IPV6 gamers from finding matches.

I'm a Regular

Hey @tonytoronto have you tried the coda modem now that it has the .27 firmware and would you say it's better then the rocket modem when it comes to latency
I Plan to Stick Around

Update from my post yesterday:

I played a game of CS:GO last night. I was place in a US central server and throughout the match I saw my ping drop to as low as 38ms, and go as high as 80ms. 38ms seems to be what I get with <4ms jitter. I had nothing else running, no one else on my network and only 1 other device other than my PC (an iphone that doesn't have any sync set up).  My average ping was around 55ms throughout the match, but it was constantly moving around. 

It's 10am right now on a Sunday and I'm still experiencing around 15ms jitter.

I'm a Regular

Are u on the white coda modem or the cgn rocket modem ?
I Plan to Stick Around

The CGN3ACSMR rocket modem.

I'm a Regular

Why don't you go get the white coda modem supposed to be the best rogers modem for gaming online with the newest firmware .27 it supposed to fix latency/ping ,jitter from what people are saying you can confirm with @RogersKevin or @RogersDave
What's New
WWE: Extreme Rules LIVE
Sunday July 15, 2018
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

WWE throws the rulebook out the window and lets the Superstars compete in matches where anything goes! Don't miss Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Alexa Bliss and all your favorites. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Ontario/Atlantic)