Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

What the big hype about ipv6 what will we benefit , so if I have the CGN3 I won't be getting ipv6?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks that way, at least until the CGN3 undergoes another update.  

Benefits, others can chime in here.  No Network Address Translation by the router.  So, should see some speed benefit I would think.  Other benifits, have a look at the following link, although I think that most will be transparent to the average user:

http://www.ipv6now.com.au/whyipv6.php

I Plan to Stick Around

Sometimes the delays would be caused by the PC getting a AAAA ( IPV6) result from a DNS call  and then timing out for some seconds before trying again and getting an AA record which is the standard IPV4 which of course works.

I've Been Around

Any update on the status of native IPv6 on Rogers? It's 2016, you've had a long time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like progress is being made, slowly......  Users on the DSLReports forum are reporting Native IPV6 available and working in some areas of Toronto.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30687933-Internet-Rogers-IPv6-appears-to-be-rolling-out

Checked in Stittsville (West Ottawa) this morning.  No IPV6 available.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am living ok with Rogers 6RD. in Guelph. I could try to plug my spare router ( which can do V6) into the cable moden ( I have a CGN3 in bridge mode  )and see if I get a prefix.  I would hope that there would be an announcement perhaps area by area as it happens. 

Slightly off topic, I am hopin g for an announcement that the Gigabit service will arrive on schedule....sometime in 2016.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You might have to restart the modem after you plug in the other router.  That is in the case where you have two routers plugged into the modem, with the modem running in bridge mode.  Both routers should end up with IP addresses after the restart.  Now the question is whether or not native IPV6 was enabled in your area.  I haven't seen any announcement from Rogers, anywhere, indicating that IPV6 was finally being enabled.

I've Been Here Awhile

Being following the progress of this thread for past 2 years now and want to give a bit of an update. Native Rogers IPV6 works from what I  tested under the following conditions. 

1. CGN3 a.k.a Advance WiFi Modem running in bridge mode
  2. Tested with a pfsense router setup with IPV6 enabled on WAN /w track interface on LAN
  3. Tested at ipv6-test.com with a score of 20, and speed of 80Mbps for IPV6.
  4. Ping tested google.com IPV6 returned with 0% lost of packets

I notice most are still running in tunnel mode and are getting speed of 25Mbps. With the setup I discribe above, this may work better for you.

I Plan to Stick Around

Saw your note today and immediately tried it.  I am in Guelph.    Lo and Behold a real IPV6 address, two IPV6 DNS.

I tried IPV6-test and only got a score of 17.    No IPV6 hostname  and ICMP filtered.

Thank you Rogers.   ( Although you might have left a message on this forum to say when it was coming.)

I've Been Here Awhile

That is awesome, timlocke. How is the speed? As for the ICM and HOSTNAME issue, you'll have to set rules in the firewall and dns for those, which will resolve the filter and hostname issue. I don't recall the exact settings you need as I've already taken down the test lab. However, it should be allowing icm on both ipv4 and ipv6 through the WAN for the LAN or ANY (preferably ANY). A single rule for both can be set in this instance.

What's New