Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

In bridge mode the Gateway is just a modem and doesn't know about anything but bits in packets.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not the IPV6 in your area, its the type of IPV6 service that is supported.  I'm not into IPV6 yet, but I don't think Rogers supports native IPV6.  6RD yes, but I don't know all of the details that differentiate the two.  Its a little interesting as I believe that Techsavvy or Start supports native IPV6 and some of their comm lines piggyback off of Rogers Network.  So, its a corporate decision.  Others have pushed for it, but as I said earlier, there hasn't been any recent posts by anyone from Rogers on this issue.  For all I know it might be a dead issue within Rogers. 

Its a pretty sad situation in Canada overall.  I think the adoption rate is less than 1 % but I might be wrong.  Here's a recent article on IPV6:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01/ipv6-celebrates-its-20th-birthday-by-reaching-10-percent-dep...

I'm a Regular

So I guess it dosent make sense to buy a router that supports ipv6 its just a waste. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suspect that all routers support IPV6 at the present time.  The problem is that Rogers does not fully support IPV6.  So, with a little investigation and effort, you could get some version of IPV6 up and running, the question is, is that the version that you want or need?  Hopefully others can chime in here and provide some advice.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers have unsupported 6RD which works well and is reliably.  They don't support native IPV6 and there is just no news about it...which surprises me and I would think that most of their head end gear probably has IPV6 available by now and the 3825 and the Hitron both claim to be able to support it if Rogers allows it.

So 6rd, tunneling via Hurricane or GOGO are the options.

I wish there was a way to get Rogers to make a statement on what they are going to do.   The worrying thing is that they might go for Carrier Grade NAT on IPV4 which I believe causes some applications to stop working.   I wonder what will happen when they run out of their hoard of IPV4 addresses?

At the moment   all the Google websites including Youtube support V6 as well as V4 as does Wikipedia...many others of course as well.

I'm a Regular

Okay so now my Xbox one supports ipv6 and so does my router but I disabled it now will I have any problems..I read online some people having problems with ipv6 enabled when gaming with the one they experiences lag/ disconnected issues but then there are others who have good game experiences when gaming online with ipv6 especially with p2p games. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its hard to say and may vary from one thing to another.

But i have run into that at work before too, on PCs.

Where there is a machine having some lag/connection issues.. hickups, etc.

Disabling IPv6 on the unit.. it seems to stop.

I think its TRYING To connect via it.. failing.. but it ends up taking up resources, or something.

I'm a Regular

Yea but there in no way on disabling ipv6 on the Xbox one only on the router. Why is Rogers so behind on things why don't they support a native ipv6 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Many people have asked those same questions, a long time ago it seems.  And yet, here we still are, with no answers and with no roadmap detailing the IPV6 implementation.  Kinda similar to the Nextbox fiasco, no answers and no roadmap.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink     I have a feeling that the Rogers people/employees on the forum are either:

Just as much in the dark about Rogers plans as we are.

OR 

have been instructed not to say anything.  

Maybe there is a beta test going on with   Rogers employees.

Perhaps there are plans with the 1GB internet rollout.

My Hitron gateway may suddenly support IPV6 if I switched it out of bridge mode...it didn't before, in fact the IPV6 set up stuff that Hitron said it had was just not visible so I couldn't even use 6RD until I bridged and used my own router.

Perhaps the fact that Telus is rolling out IPV6 to its internet customers will provoke Rogers.  Who knows.

What's New