Remote access

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Remote access

Howdy,

Anyone have any info on if its possible to access your home computer remotely using your tablet?

I call TS, all they could tell me is they weren't trained for that info but they could put me through to a "pay for TS" option.  Not impressed so far.

I just want to be able to save through My modem at home any files I want from my tablet.  This should not be rocket science.  (think I am a tad annoyed, yep)    No chance I use a cloud storage, you never know where those servers and and no cloud storage is 100% safe....I don't care how much they try to say it is...Anytime you post a photo on a cloud or on a website you have lost control of it.  That's just fact

Soooo...anyone able to assist?

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Remote access

There is probably more than one way to solve this, although maybe not in the exact manner that you have indicated. 

I think it should be possible to configure your pc to allow access by other devices on the network.  You would have to navigate to Control Panel.....Network and Sharing Center.....Change advanced sharing settings, and on that popup panel, turn on file and printer sharing, and, expanding the All Networks section below that, decide on whether you want to enable any of the options that are shown in that section.  Once that is done, on your tablet, you would have to enable network discovery so that the tablet can see the pc.  I think that is the majority of setting it up, although there may be more to it.  Hopefully, someone who does this can chime in with further instructions.

The other way to do this would be to use a USB drive as a storage drive connected to the router, depending on whether or not you had a router with that option.  With a USB drive connected, it would serve as a common drive that can be accessed by both pc and tablet, without exposing the pc folders to anyone on the network. 

You could also use a Network Attached Storage Device, which connected via ethernet.  Same idea, it would be accessible by all devices on the network.

All of those would be for local access, ie, you are at home with the tablet running on your own network.  Now if you were trying to do this when you are away from home, that would probably require a vpn to run through the modem to your pc.  if you had a third party router, depending on which model it is, you could set up a USB drive as a drive that can be accessed from outside of, and inside of the network.

What model of modem do you have and do you also run a third party router?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tech support really isnt there to help setup/sopport 3rd party software/hardware.. their job is to make sure that the internet connection is working, etc.

But there are a number of options as Datalink mentioned... just depends on HOW/WHAT you are using.
Some tablet/devices are not always easy to specifically copy/move say via regular file systems stuff... may depend on what OS and Tablet you are using.

Now is this INTERNAL or EXTERNAL?

That would make a big difference on WHAT sort of solution to use.

Retired Moderator RogersShaun
Retired Moderator

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but maybe check out Chrome Remote Desktop?

I use it from my phone/laptop/tablet to access my pc at home if I want to do something like start a download while I'm on the go so it'll be ready when I get home.

I've Been Around

Hi. 

I use a software called BeAnywhere Support Express that grants you easily access to your computer wherever you are, since you have an internet connection. I use it with my iPhone and iPad but i guess they have it for andoid also. 

Mainly i use it for transfering files and control remotely my desktop. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Work computer blocks certain sites, can I VPN through my home Hitron router?

I want to be able to browse twitter while at work, which blocks it. Tunnelbear chrome extension works, but it's pricey past 500 mb.

Is there a way, without doing any software installs on the work computer (this is non-negotiable), to enable access by setting up some kind of VPN on one of my home computers that accesses the internet through my Rogers Hitron router?

Meaning, from work, I would load an IP address into my browser that corresponded to my home machine, and I'd browse through that?

Good evening @Swampfoot,

Thank you for joining the Rogers Community!

I understand your desire to access Twitter from your work computer. While this is something you should have the ability to get assistance for, here, it is not directly supported by Rogers.

From my personal experience, establishing the gateway for the VPN functionality does require an install of sort and I am not sure whether this would be the best solution for you.

Do you already have a software on your work laptop that allows you to remotely connect to your home Hitron router?

Maybe  @Gdkitty or @Datalink can help?

RogersMaude

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It might be possible to do this if you were running a server at home that you can log into from an outside computer.  But, that would require you to set up a server and learn all of the ins and outs of setting up and running a server.   As a learning challenge, that might be an interesting thing to do.  

Now, just to point out, as you indicated, your employer has blocked Twitter.  If your employer is doing this correctly, your work computer would be locked down to prevent any unauthorized application loading, and the USB ports would also be locked down as well to prevent any application running from a USB drive.  Its possible that there is an Intrusion Prevention System running that would detect the Twitter data running from any source, not just the official Twitter servers.  So, you might find that this wouldn't work, after putting in considerable effort to work your way around the employers computer security system.  Depending on your employer, what you're asking might be illegal, or at the very least highly unethical as it could pose a threat to the employers network by running a potential backdoor into that network.  This might constitute a breach of the terms of your employment or a breach of the terms of computer use on the employers network.  Both of those might be cause for dismissal or worse.  All personal opinion of course.  

So, perhaps a few thoughts about future employment and employers should be part of the project. 

I've Been Around

If you have Windows Pro, you can enable remote desktop.

Go to firewall and setup a forward for the Port number you are using for RDP (change the default)

If you don't have a static VPN you can use a DDNS service like dyndns.org to map a static URL address to a dynamic IP

Then you can remote desktop to your PC. No evidence of what you are doing on your PC at work will be recorded.

You could also use something like Teamviewer, but  you would have to install TM at work. Its free. If you only use it from one PC to another, you will not have to pay for it.

If you can configure a VPN on your router at home, you can create a VPN and RDP to your pc a little more securely.

If on windows 10 at work, you can create the VPN connection easily without installing more software. That said, you will still need to connect to a location. Chances are you have a dynamic IP address for your internet. You will still need a DDNS service to connect.

What's New
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 in conversation