OpenVPN through CODA-4582U

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

OpenVPN through CODA-4582U

I am new to Rogers Ignite and would like to know if the capability is there to run OpenVPN on my internal router through CODA-4582U?

I only came across one post (2016) but it dealt with CGN3* modem. There were issues mentioned about loosing the ability to login to the modem after making a change. Has that been rectified by Rogers?

I don't see the rogers IP on my side but a 192.168.0.1   

Is it still possible to use more than one Ethernet port on the modem?

*** Added Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: OpenVPN through CODA-4582U

@TECHHEAD, you shouldn't run into issues using OpenVPN with your own router and with the 4582 in Bridge mode.  You can also access the modem when its running in Gateway or Bridge mode using the following addresses:

Gateway mode:  192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

Bridge mode:  192.168.100.1 only

Note that some routers may require a routing rule to access the modem.  That's not the normal case, but it does come up from time to time.   Looking back over the previous modems, using 102.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 has usually worked.  I recall that there was an issue with the CGN3 way back, where 192.168.100.1 didn't work in a particular firmware update.  I believe that was the issue, and I think its been resolved but don't quote me on that one.  Also note that there are various models of the CGN3xxxx modem, running slightly different firmware versions, so the login issue wasn't seen across all models. 

For the ethernet ports, the following applies:

Gateway mode:  all 4 ethernet ports may be used

Bridge mode:  two ports may be used which will provide independent IPV4 and IPV6

addresses to the devices connected to those ports.  (I use this

configuration for test purposes without any problems.)

If you were to connect additional devices to the two remaining ports, those

devices should receive IPV6 addresses only.  I haven't tested this

configurationSmiley Sad.

To switch the modem back to Gateway mode from Bridge mode you can do it two ways:

1.  Run a factory reset by holding down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds, then release it.  That will run a factory reset and reboot into Gateway mode.  You will have to reset all of the modem settings (ouch Smiley Sad)

2.  Log into the modem using 192.168.100.1 and reenable the Residential Gateway Function which is located in the BASIC .... Gateway Function tab.  That will reboot the modem back into Gateway mode with it previous settings intact (yay Smiley Happy)

To change the modems operating mode from Gateway mode to Bridge mode, simply log into the modem using either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1, navigate to the BASIC .... Gateway Function tab and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  The modem will reboot into Gateway mode.  

For new routers and when switching modems, I recommend a factory reset for the router to erase any internal data or settings releated to the previous modem.  We've seen some users who are switching ISPs and modems have problems setting up the modem and router combo, which are usually resolved by running a factory reset for the router. 

Hope this answers all your questions so far.  Let us know if anything else comes up in the process. 

What are you seeing with your previous ISP in terms of OpenVPN data rates.  I'm curious as to what you will see thru the 4582. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank You @Datalink,

Got my modem in Bridge mode and oddly enough my internet speed has improved, no more open ports according to SheildsUP. 

Just need to figure out a few other issues. one router with DD-WRT connects no issue the other with TOMATO/OpenVPN will not get an IP Address from Rogers.

So for now no OpenVPN but I at least have Internet.

As for previous OpenVPN data rates, can't answer that as I was with Rogers but was grandfathered into a really old internet plan. 60Gb limit, 512k up & 5Gb down. (had it for about 15 yrs)

Not that the kids are more on YouTube and a surveillance system, I needed to upgrade to an Unlimited Internet package.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TECHHEAD try this.  With both routers powered up, connected and running, reboot the modem.  Run the reboot two or three times if you have to.  The first modem reboot should result in both routers receiving their respective IPV4 and IPV6 addresses. 

Edit:  I've noticed that the modem isn't necessarily responding these days to a new device being connected when the modem is in Bridge mode and another device is already up and running with its assigned IPV4 and IPV6 addresses.  The reboot will usually resolve this. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @Datalink,

I think you misunderstood me.

I am only wanting to run one router. (replace an old Linksys WRT54G that the WiFi has died on me.

Unfortunately the issue is with the TomatoUSB that I am running on the replacement router (Cisco/Linksys E2500)

The E2500 would not talk on the WAN side, so never getting a Rogers IP address. After some fiddling with it somehow BRICKED it. Smiley Sad

So I have ordered a  ASUS RT-AC66U B1 (native OpenVPN support) and waiting for it to arrive.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TECHHEAD, don't know if you've considered the RT-AC86U or not.  If not, have a look at the threads below.  The RT-AC86U has shown very good OpenVPN performance due to the hardware encryption capability.  Keep an eye out for the RT-AC86U to go on sale at Best Buy.  Current price: $269.99. That should drop $30 to $40 on sale.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-wireless-ac2900-dual-band-gigabit-router-rt-ac86u/11281277...?

Don't know if you've been keeping up with the Asus routers lately, Asus has embarked upon a firmware rewrite for their routers. The RT-AC66U B1 is included in that rewrite. So far, Asus has issued two firmware versions in the new firmware branch. There are bugs which are being addressed, but, it will probably take another two to three versions for the majority of the bugs to be ironed out.

From what I've seen, this router will not be supported by Merlin for the new firmware versions as its a MIPS based router. So, any updates will be stock firmware versions only:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v30e2.18914/page-359#post-...

Having said that, I've seen posts from users who have loaded the Merlin's latest beta firmware, but, there is no firmware version for the AC66U listed on the Change Log or in the Download folder, so, I have no idea of what they've loaded.

Here are a few links regarding the VPN performance for the Asus RT-AC86U:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-performance-of-the-rt-ac86u.41217/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/18mbps-nordvpn-on-ac68u-so-easy-whats-your-speed.44857/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-accelerated-crypto-with-dev-crypto.44687/

The latest Merlin-Asuswrt Beta version has "Added IPSEC Server support for the RT-AC86U, with hardware acceleration. Benchmarks pushed it at over 300 Mbps."

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/beta-384-ng-asuswrt-merlin-384-4-beta-is-now-available.44941/

And, fwiw, another thread from DSLReports regarding VPNS:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31852932-Whole-Home-VPN-Router-What-are-u-using-and-seeing-with-you...

Something else that came up over the weekend is a post indicating a problem obtaining an IPV4 address. I don't know if that is only for the modem, or modem/router combo.  Its the first that I've seen this as a recognized problem, but, posts of this problem are very rare from what I've seen.  I wonder if this is what you ran into with your WRT54G?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @Datalink,

I did look at the RT-AC86U but unfortunately it was outta my price range.

Until the other day, I hadn't looked at routers at all.

So for the time being I'll be stuck with the  RT-AC66U B1 and using the native firmware.

Thanks for the links, I'll check out the DSLReports VPN Discussion.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TECHHEAD have a look at the following thread.  Looks like you will be able to load the recent Asus and Merlin firmware versions on your 66U-B1:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/merlin-380-68_2-on-asus-rt-ac66u_b1.45356/

Edit:  Here's another ongoing thread concerning OpenVPN and IPV6 that might be of interest if you load Merlins's AsusWRT.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-ipv6.40549/

I Plan to Stick Around

ThanX @Datalink,

I did join up on that forum this morning. Lots of information to take in. Still reading up on VPN and need to read / take in more info before I attempt to open up my surveillance system to the internet.

I now have the latest Merlin 384.xx on my router. So far very please with results. I am consistently achieving high 600's on my 500U line. As long as I am testing from a PC on my network.

WiFi maxes out at 50-60

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TECHHEAD running surveillance cameras?  Somewhere in that forum is a discussion on surveillance cameras phoning home to some server in China, unbeknownst to the camera owner.  So, that brings about the discussion on preventing the cameras from accessing the internet, or from accessing the sites that they are contacting.  Might be a little more food for thought and some research on the forum. 

You should be aware that the wifi timer settings are wiped out by router reboots, and that the automatic reboot timer don't appear to work.  Stateless IPV6 appears to work as there is an IPV6 prefix seen in the router, but the connected devices are not issued with their IPV6 addresses.  Stateless IPV6 appears to work as expected.  These are on the stock firmware, so Merlin's firmware probably have the same issues. 

These are all due to the ongoing firmware rewrite that Asus has embarked upon.  Hopefully the next iteration will fix these issues and more.

Here's the ongoing thread for the latest Merlin Beta firmware which is what you probably have loaded.  When Merlin rolls out the next final version he'll close that thread and start a new Beta thread.  Just have to keep an eye open for the comments and eventual thread closing:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/beta-384-ng-asuswrt-merlin-384-4-beta-is-now-available.44941/

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation