One of the devices can't connect to the Internet via wifi or Ethernet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

One of the devices can't connect to the Internet via wifi or Ethernet

My HP laptop won't connect via wifi or ethernet.  I get the icon with the exclamation point & it says connected no internet access.  The Toshiba laptop connect so does the Moto g5.  So I don't think it's the modem.  The modem is several years old. I have googled the problem & did all the things I should do to help  connect but it doesn't connect.   When I run the troubleshooter I get the ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration.  Wifi doesn't have a valid IP config.  The modem has been rebooted.  If there was something wrong with the modem would the other devices connect to the internet?  I don't understand it.  Why all the other devices connect & this one won't?  Maybe it's time to take it to the repair shop?  

***Edited Labels***  

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: One of the devices can't connect to the Internet via wifi or Ethernet

Hi @Sunbird,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've tried and mentioned in your post. This definitely seems like a device related issue since you are able to connect to the internet on your other devices. Have you tried to renew the IP address on your laptop? Additionally, have you noticed any recent software changes? The device may not have updated the driver settings with your network adapter.

Anyone else in the Community have further insights?

RogersZia

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sunbird : Try the laptop at another location - a friend, coffee shop, library, or neighbour where you can test the WiFi... (and perhaps Ethernet)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sunbird wrote:

My HP laptop won't connect via wifi or ethernet.  I get the icon with the exclamation point & it says connected no internet access.  The Toshiba laptop connect so does the Moto g5.  So I don't think it's the modem.  The modem is several years old. I have googled the problem & did all the things I should do to help  connect but it doesn't connect.   When I run the troubleshooter I get the ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration.  Wifi doesn't have a valid IP config.  The modem has been rebooted.  If there was something wrong with the modem would the other devices connect to the internet?  I don't understand it.  Why all the other devices connect & this one won't?  Maybe it's time to take it to the repair shop?  

***Edited Labels***  

@Sunbird

Are you running any third party firewall or anti virus/malware protection? I suggest uninstalling it then trying again. After that plug the laptop into the modem and open the Windows "Command Prompt" type:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

let us know if that works. If you manage to get the laptop connected I would suggest running windows update to ensure all your computer is upto date.

I Plan to Stick Around

The problems started after an update.  I shut down the laptop with the prompt update & shut down.  The next day when I powered up the laptop that's when I had connection problems.  I'm not sure if it was a windows 10 update or a HP update.  The laptop tells me the drivers are up to date & are functioning properly.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Done that, still won't connect.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I removed the Avast anti-virus program & it connected.  Do I still have to type in the Command Prompt ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew?  So what do I do for an anti-virus?  Re-install Avast or just use Windows Defender firewall?  Or just run Malwarebytes?  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the laptop connected to the modem, both for ethernet and wifi, and you're able to cruise the web, then you don't have to use the ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew commands.  In theory you should be able to simply reinstall Avast and connect to the internet as usual.  However, if you find that isn't the case, that would indicate that the uninstall routine doesn't uninstall everything, and that there probably are settings left behind in a file or registry setting.  In that case, you should run the avastclear application to completely remove avast.  When that is done, reboot the laptop and reinstall avast.  It should install and possibly give you options to select for connecting to the internet when the install is done.  

https://www.avast.com/en-ca/uninstall-utility

Check the avast forums for issues dealing with the application and internet connection if you continue to have problems.  Best guess is that avast is preventing the ethernet and/or wifi drivers from operating correctly, or that avast is somehow preventing the ethernet controller and/or wifi card from operating.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sunbird wrote:

I removed the Avast anti-virus program & it connected.  Do I still have to type in the Command Prompt ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew?  So what do I do for an anti-virus?  Re-install Avast or just use Windows Defender firewall?  Or just run Malwarebytes?  

@Sunbird

My personal opinion is just run windows defender, I've been running it for years without any issues.

I've Been Here Awhile

Dropping Internet Connection

I have a Hitron Router model CGN3ACSMR.  My network consists of 2 computers, 1 printer and WD External Drive for backups.  I also have 1 iPhone, 1 pixel phone and 1 ipad that use wifi.

I seem to drop my internet connection on only one computer.  Wifi indicator shows connected to the internet but when I try to search using google or try to connect to a website I receive an error message stating that I am not connected to the internet.  This happens with a wireless or wired connection.  The second computer, printer and other devices are fine.  When I conduct a diagnostic I get a message that there is a dns error.

When I reboot the PC everything is fine for about one day then the error returns.  How can only one device on the network be affected?  Can it be the LAN/wifi card in my PC?

What's New
Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation