Managed hubs/switches

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Managed hubs/switches

I currently have a simple Cisco 16-port hub between my Rogers Hitron Cable Modem and the household LAN. I believe I could upgrade this hub to a device which would have the ability to report to me (to my system) the bandwidth usage of each device connecting to the Internet or between internal LAN devices. However I don't really know enough about such "managed" hubs and am looking for advice. Included in my LAN is an ASUS wireless hub on the second floor for better area coverage. The Hitron Modem/Router and Cisco Hub devices are in a poured concrete basement. Any advice would be appreciated.

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Managed hubs/switches

Hi @Philip144,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

You've come to the right place for help.   Your setup sounds a little more involved than what I use at home, so it may be best to seek the advice of our Resident Experts here.

Perhaps @Datalink or @Gdkitty can point you in the right direction?

RogersShaun

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, there is not a lot on the market which is 'user friendly' in this sense..

Even getting to the level of a 'managed' switch.. you are getting in the probably close to a thousand if not more dollars for the switch..
and even at that point.. generally they are good at seeing at a glance throughput on each port, etc.. but not as much for over time reporting.  You start getting into a server scenario where it then is archiving the info from the switch to a place where it then can then be more used.

Even a bunch of the better routers.. generally your only getting live traffic monitoring.

Only thing i could really see maybe being really along that lines.. might be doing a PFSENCE or one of the more 3rd party router firmwares?

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you Gdkitty.  That's the impression I am getting poking about the marketplace.  I wonder how "Dad" manages when there are several users in the house and many devices.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hah.  I only have a 7 year old.. and I am already at that point Smiley Tongue

One reason i switched over to a 3rd party router.  They tend to at least have a little control so to speak. 
I have times set.. that times after his bed time, none of 'his' devices can access the internet.  
I can also do some keyword/site filtering, etc.

But overall for usage though?  Its not easy.
Especially in this day an age.. with youtube and everything else.. data gets eaten up like crazy.

Until rogers, bell, and all the others just GIVE us unlimited no matter what.. all in all.. it was cheaper in the long run for us to just go to an unlimited plan. 

I Plan to Stick Around

A Ubiquity Unifi system will do what you are looking for, and for not too expensive vs. putting in a full Cisco setup.

You can get a managed switch, then you run a controller software on a computer or their controller device, and you will get all the switch stats you need for whatever time period you need.

If you get their USG (unifi security gateway), basically a router, you can also get deep packet inspection for all your devices.

Check it out here: https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifi

If you go to this page you can run a demo of a large setup to see all the info you can get from it, of course it works just as well with much smaller systems, as long as you have at least the switch and the usg.

https://demo.ubnt.com/manage/site/default/dashboard

It is pretty easy to set up. Let me know if you have any questions, I run the full setup including the USG/Managed switch and wireless access points.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you DaveFro.  There is light at the end of the fibre tunnel!

I'm a Senior Advisor

I hadn't got back to you. Haven't been able to log in. The suggest system is solid. Intended for small office. And their forums have good discussion and support. I have used low end and high end managed switches 10 years ago and even a low end was expensive. But a Cisco unmanaged 24 port with 2 GB backbone ports was over 1500.00.our managed switch was over 3000. But that unit is pretty fairly priced. Can't suggest a monitoring software but it looks like unfinished software may be included. On their site you can see demos. Have fun. Let us know what you decide.
Bruce
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you.  The cost must be reasonable for home use, say $500 or less.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Oh and some of them even have fibre connections on them too. Smiley Happy

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 in conversation