cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipv4 not working

Deej10
I plan to stick around

Hey guys sat night I was playing on my ps4 and my internet cut out. so I went and restarted the modem and still no Internet. I then turned on my pc which is on windows 10 and checked my internet and it says ipv4 not working but ipv6 is I called rogers and no help. They said they would get a technistion to come out and it's going to take longer then I would like because I work from home. my youtube and Google works but that's it, on my cell phone and my home pc that's pluged in direct from modem to pc.. I looked on YouTube at some videos looking for a fix but nothing works... any help would be awesome thank you guys

*Edited Labels*

53 REPLIES 53

Re: Ipv4 not working

Thanks Deej10.

I just found found your modem MAC from the trace you provided to @Datalink yesterday. Performing initial troubleshooting was showing your modem completely offline. If there is a tech working on your line, that explains this part.

Keep me posted.

Dave

A cable issue won't affect the IPV4 issue.  If the cable issue was bad enough it would affect anything that is internet connected, but, your IPV6 works.  If you can forward the MAC address  to @RogersDave that would make this easier to check.

Deej10
I plan to stick around
Ya still didn't fix it

Time to let @RogersDave work his magic, but, you ended up with a new external cable right?  So, its not a complete loss 🙂

Deej10
I plan to stick around
Lol that's true he's in the phone with someone now

Deej10
I plan to stick around
Trying a new modem

I think I see the problem but yes it will take some magic....

I'll get back to you later today on this one. Need to call a few favors 🙂

Dave

Run a speedtest at http://speedtest.xfinity.com/

That will run both IPV4 and IPV6 speedtests.  See if you can get there via IPV6.  If so, and it runs, but doesn't run the IPV4 test, that basically proves the issue is beyond the modem, which will take Dave and the engineering staff to resolve. 

Swapping out the modem and seeing the same result, ie:  IPV4 doesn't work will reinforce that statement.  You will need to forward the new modem MAC address as well if you are going to keep that in place so that Dave can track down the modem. 

Edit;  For the speedtest, try the Detroit and/or Chicago servers.

Deej10
I plan to stick around
Everything is working now

Now the question is, who fixed what?

Deej10
I plan to stick around
I bet any money it was you guys lol

bazigoreela
I've been here awhile

Ya all try factory resetting the mdm, I have been getting people back on facing such issues, e.g. they can go to google, facebook and youtube but nothing else, factory reset typically has resolved it each and every case so far for me. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Thanks to @Datalink and @RogersDave for putting so much effort into trying to figure out and explain this to us. The suggestion to reset my modem, I generally avoid, because I always end up forgetting what the password was (it is a multicharacter one - not the usual password). If I can find the usb that came with that particular modem - really need to mark that usb stick so that I know the correct one.

I then have to turn around and reset the wifi password to my preferred SID and password.

I have used the back up config file a few times and that has resolved issues sometime, but this current issue in my case was definitely upstream somewhere in the system.  I am not knowledgeable like you two, so I wouldn't even know what a CMT, whatever thing a ma jig is.  But can deal with reading my modem information, and have now learned were to find IPv4 and v6 id's, which I didn't know before.

Thanks for all the support - I have been stable for most of the week, and my previous issues on 2.4 has resolved too, no change in the number of modems in the area, or changing of my own channels, it just resolved somehow.

And thanks for that test for IPv4 and v6 and the related test site.

Bruce

Bruce

Deej10
I plan to stick around
So it happend again guys lost IPv4 connectivity please help 😞

Eagle64
I've been here awhile

Random IPv4 connectivity on CODA-4582U

Router is not consistent, some PCs work, other don't ( no IPv4 connectivity). Called support they reset ip forwarding but still have problems. Currently all phones on wifi works but none of my windows (7 or 10) work.
SW ver is 2.0.10.28T2

Eagle64
I've been here awhile
How was it fixed?

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Eagle64 wrote:
How was it fixed?

@Eagle64 Have you tried to reboot the gateway? 

unplug for 2 minute then plug it back in. If that doesn't work you can try a factory reset, but you will have to set everything back up, including Wifi and passwords. 

To factory reset you need to press the reset button on the back of the modem down for 15 seconds then release, the modem will reboot.

Eagle64
I've been here awhile
Yes all this was done.

Hey @Eagle64,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forum!

My brother was facing a similar issue while gaming, so I know first hand how annoying that can be to deal with Smiley Frustrated. Hopefully since your last post, you've managed to resolve this problem.

In your OP,  you mentioned you phoned in and had the IP forwarding reset. Can you clarify what exactly was done by the rep?

What you can also try to do is to disable IPV6 altogether to see if that fixes your problem. From past posts, it seems that has helped majority of our users, including my brother ;). 

1. Login to Modem (I'm assuming you know how to do this already Smiley Wink)
  2. Click on the "Basic" tab on the top of the page.
  3. Select "Gateway Function".
  4. Next to "Router Mode" change it to "IPv4" instead of "Dual" or "IPv6" which is the default.

Hopefully that helps. Please keep us posted! Thanks @gp-se for your continued support and input. 

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I am just running IP4 on my CODA modem.  Is there any benefit to Running IP6 only or IP4/IP6?  does one offer better speed than the other?

thanks

@Alex4161 wrote:

I am just running IP4 on my CODA modem.  Is there any benefit to Running IP6 only or IP4/IP6?  does one offer better speed than the other?

thanks

@Alex4161

Run IPV4 and IPV6 on the modem unless you are having problems/disconnects. IPV4 has reached the maximum amount of IP address, so without ipv6 you may not be able to reach certain websites. 

Topic Stats