cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron Router CODA-4582U how to use local hostname?

user195368
I've been here awhile

ping any ip is fine, but can't ping any local hostname.

Please help,

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron Router CODA-4582U how to use local hostname?

When you set up the modem, you may have come across a data entry for the local host:  hitronhub.home    That suffix is appended to the nslookup query, causing it to fail on the first query.  Nslookup appears to run a secondary query without the appended suffix, and that is what you see for the nslookup results.  

So, just to see if this works, instead of using "mydevice.local", try "mydevice.home".  

Fwiw, your the first person who've ever asked about using the "mydevice.local" address.  Have you been using this with another modem and just switched over to the 4582, where it doesn't appear to work?  Was the previous modem a Hitron modem or another modem altogether?  In either case, do you happen to know the model of the previous modem? 

In theory the 4582 is a new modem, but, I wonder about the amount of code reuse from previous Hitron modems.  Maybe this is a specific case where the previous code wasn't reused.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As in can't ping any device on the local network?  You're using the modem in Gateway mode? 

user195368
I've been here awhile

Thanks for comments, and sorry for not being clear.

I can ping any local IP address. But can't ping a localhostname by doing

ping mydevice.local
ping 192.168.0.23 # IP address of mydevice works

Seems to me MDNS protocol is not allowed by the router as of my current settings.

How to make it work, please?

When you set up the modem, you may have come across a data entry for the local host:  hitronhub.home    That suffix is appended to the nslookup query, causing it to fail on the first query.  Nslookup appears to run a secondary query without the appended suffix, and that is what you see for the nslookup results.  

So, just to see if this works, instead of using "mydevice.local", try "mydevice.home".  

Fwiw, your the first person who've ever asked about using the "mydevice.local" address.  Have you been using this with another modem and just switched over to the 4582, where it doesn't appear to work?  Was the previous modem a Hitron modem or another modem altogether?  In either case, do you happen to know the model of the previous modem? 

In theory the 4582 is a new modem, but, I wonder about the amount of code reuse from previous Hitron modems.  Maybe this is a specific case where the previous code wasn't reused.

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. any host is reachable via IP but NOT via host name:

C:\Users\>ping 192.168.0.11

Pinging 192.168.0.11 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.11: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.0.11: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.11:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 2ms

C:\Users\>ping NASC5000E
Ping request could not find host NASC5000E. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\>nslookup NASC5000E
Server: hitronhub.home
Address: 192.168.0.1

*** hitronhub.home can't find NASC5000E: Non-existent domain

"mydevice.local" or "mydevice.home" does not work either.

Rogers phone support was useless as this problem is apparently out of their scope!

How can this be resolved?

Hello @user2010,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

You've reached the right place for your inquiry. While this issue is out of our scope of support we have numerous Resident Experts and Super Users here in the Community who may be able to provide some insight on this for you. 

I will be sure to tag a few of them in here: @Datalink, @Gdkitty, @gp-se.

If there are other users in the Community who have run into a similar issue or have found a solution don't hesitate to chime in!

RogersTony

@user2010 wrote:

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. any host is reachable via IP but NOT via host name:

C:\Users\>ping 192.168.0.11

Pinging 192.168.0.11 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.11: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.11:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 2ms

C:\Users\>ping NASC5000E
Ping request could not find host NASC5000E. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\>nslookup NASC5000E
Server: hitronhub.home
Address: 192.168.0.1

*** hitronhub.home can't find NASC5000E: Non-existent domain

"mydevice.local" or "mydevice.home" does not work either.

Rogers phone support was useless as this problem is apparently out of their scope!

How can this be resolved?

@user2010

I believe there is a DNS proxy setting on the Hitron, so it provides the routers ip as the DNS Server (192.168.0.1) instead of the actual DNS Server. You could try disabling the proxy so the Modem provides the actual DNS Server address to the device then try again. 

stewd
I've been here awhile

Has anyone been successful at connecting to Windows IIS (inetpub) via a phone using Hitron code-4582?

I have tried every thing you can imagine for 2 days and cannot connect to my PC's web server.

e.g. type ipconfig -  ethernet shows IPV4 as 192.168.0.10  Wireless Lan adapter Wi-Fi shows IPV4 as 192.168.0.13

I used both in the address bar of Android Chrome and get nowhere.

I have disable firewalls, and used every example on the web to connect.

I have never had a problem connecting using other modems in the past. This hitron.home DNS is messed up

Please only reply if you have a phone that can display your PC's localhost web pages on the phone.

stewd
I've been here awhile

I'd suggest never using this Roger's supplied modem as it seems no one on earth can use it to connect a phone via WIFI to connect to your PC's localhost for development purposes.

e.g. See what webpage looks like on a phone by connect to the PC's inetpub/wwwroot/webpage/index.html

I'm stuck with CODA-4582U until November 2019 - Rogers gives little or no support for things that should work on any other modem.

Over a month and 88 views no answers.

JimB2
I've been around

The problem with the Hitron Router not resolving the local hostnames, is that the Router is not allowing the local host to register its name with the Router's DNS server software, even though on Windows 10 OS Network Advanced TCP/IP settings has  the "Register this connection's address in DNS" box ticked.

Please supply a solution for this problem, it has become a show stopper for local web servers within a home network since all the browsers are now enforcing HTTPS using TLS 1.2 with reverse DNS lookup to authenticate the web site.

fuddi6
I've been here awhile

I am having same problem. it was working fine for me until recently when rogers pushed fw update 7.1.1.32 to their hitron modem, things broke down. rogers fix mdns on your routers.

stewd
I've been here awhile

I left Roger's and now use Bell. As a web develop and tester, if a modem can't work using localhost it just a piece of . . - Nuff said.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 in conversation